Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My daughter & 2yr old Granddaughter want chickens ? Advice

after they work on their breathing
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I’ve never had chickens, I’d like 3 or 4 though.

I have this old chicken coop that I keep a couple of pigeons in. I would want free ranging chickens, I also want minimal effort. It has a latched door on the side. Could I buy chickens, keep them in the coop for a couple weeks, put a ramp up to the latched door, let them out after they’ve “homed”, make sure they’re fed, and call it a day? Am I missing anything?

8AD5765C-96B1-479C-A5A1-B6375BCEC269.jpg

I don’t have much of a predator problem, I have 13 pigeons in a loft about 10 yards from there, I’ve lost 1 to a hawk.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    I’ve never had chickens, I’d like 3 or 4 though.

I have this old chicken coop that I keep a couple of pigeons in. I would want free ranging chickens, I also want minimal effort. It has a latched door on the side. Could I buy chickens, keep them in the coop for a couple weeks, put a ramp up to the latched door, let them out after they’ve “homed”, make sure they’re fed, and call it a day? Am I missing anything?

8AD5765C-96B1-479C-A5A1-B6375BCEC269.jpg
    Yes they'll come back to the coop at night, atleast all that I've ever owned would. Never had a problem with predators getting mine. They free range about 30% of the time in the middle of a 40 acre field that typically has mulitple hawks hanging around. I've had dogs kill them, but never anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    Yes they'll come back to the coop at night, atleast all that I've ever owned would. Never had a problem with predators getting mine. They free range about 30% of the time in the middle of a 40 acre field that typically has mulitple hawks hanging around. I've had dogs kill them, but never anything else.
    How long does it typically take a chicken to home to a coop? Do I have to buy them as chicks or can I just buy some fully feathered/grown ones? I know my pigeons are roughly 2 - 4 weeks to home to a loft (if they've never been flown elsewhere).

How long does it typically take a chicken to home to a coop? Do I have to buy them as chicks or can I just buy some fully feathered/grown ones? I know my pigeons are roughly 2 - 4 weeks to home to a loft (if they've never been flown elsewhere).
    I bought full grown chickens and left them in the coop and run for a 6 weeks. After that I could leave it open and they would always come back and roost at night and the automatic door going down to protect them.

I don't let them free range as much any more as they make a mess on patios etc.

If you don't have a big predator issue you should be fine. A couple smart chickens really helps the flock.

hh--you want to make is easy?
    buy some chickens and let em loose. the hard part might be finding the eggs.
    doubt you need to "home" them. just put some feed in there and make sure they have places to roost inside the closed section and they will keep going back there.

you say you dont have predation but you will....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Will 2" holes hold Quail?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Easy enough.

Now I just have to find some grown chickens ... I don't feel like raising any.

Serious question: why do you keep pigeons?
    "Mother Nature and Father Time- still undefeated."

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    Serious question: why do you keep pigeons?
    Dog training. They’re fun to watch fly as well.

At one point I had 6 RIR, 6 Dominiques,a lavender Orrington (bc wife thought she was pretty) and a little golden sebright bantam rooster. That little joker was bad ass. If a crow flew over he'd run around herding the hens to cover. Lost 2 to a gray fox two days in a row. His third visit didn't go so well for him.
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    We have barred rocks. Pretty docile and lay pretty consistent, also not ugly (that matters to the women folk). 3-4 chickens seem to keep our house in eggs pretty sufficiently. Anything above 6 and you better have neighbors that like eggs.
    Thanks.

Was wondering how many they gonna need, do not want it to over work them but get a good start.

Dumb question but where is best place to get chickens. I have seen some on Craigslist or FB market place. What age do they need to be when we buy them

Friend of mine told me he got his from some man known as “the chicken man” (he was going to see if he still has his contact info )
    Last edited by tprice; 03-23-2023 at 04:40 AM.

Just googled it and got this. Thanks for any recommendations on what they need and with August date for pick up give me plenty of time to get them nice chicken pen built

Also would appreciate some pointers of what we need and do not need in chicken pen/coop.

83A95DD5-324E-4D69-86D5-927BCBF756B2.jpg
    Last edited by tprice; 03-23-2023 at 04:47 AM.

If they are on acreage, forget the pen (run), imo. Coop and free range. Healthier birds and eggs. Chicken tractors might be of interest if the land has pastures and predators are a concern. A good lgd or two are worth their weight in gold but overkill if they will only have chickens.

For coop, 4 sq ft of floor space per bird is recommended but varies slightly on breed; how large and their temperament. Roosting bars, nesting boxes, food, water, bedding you should be all set.

Look into fermenting food. Goes further, healthier birds, more eggs.
    Last edited by everlast; 03-23-2023 at 05:55 AM.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

They better really be into chickens for the self sustaining benefits. If they’re not, just save a lot of time and money and buy eggs from the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    They better really be into chickens for the self sustaining benefits. If they’re not, just save a lot of time and money and buy eggs from the store.
    Eggs will be a “by product “ mainly.

Just wanting them for enjoyment and “farm life “

Easy enough.

Now I just have to find some grown chickens ... I don't feel like raising any.
    I know you're in NC, but I got a fellow military member near me in the midlands who's being moved with a flock of young Rhode Island Reds she needs to rehome. PM me if you're up for the trip.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

There fun to watch, and have different personalities. In any flock, You’ll have one that’s the village idiot and one that’s smarter than the rest. If you don’t have predators, you will. Don’t know how, but the word gets out. Make sure you get them sexed, or you will end up with some roosters. I had one big Barred Rooster named Jerry Lee that was a pet. The rest were assholes and ended up in the stew pot. A good rooster will keep an eye on things, keep the hens in line and out of trouble. You’ll know pretty quick who is an ass hole and who’s not. I let mine free range during the day and back in the coop at night. They will shit on everything though. And I screwed up an left my shop door open once and they trashed the place. Their curious as hell, and an open door is an invite. A few shots with the water hose, taught them to stay off the deck and out of the carport. I’ve had all types and like a mixed flock. If I was picking one, Buffs are pretty calm and good layers.
    Last edited by FLS; 03-23-2023 at 06:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    A good rooster will keep an eye on things, keep the hens in line and out of trouble.
    Yard Pimp!!!