Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool Find

Default Cool Find

Finally getting around to start displaying some of my grandfather’s old lures and stuff and found this. Brings back some fond memories. All the mayflies on the heavy dew covered windshield and I can smell the musty bait tank and exhaust just thinking about it. Oh to be in the early 1980’s again!!

IMG_9532.jpg

IMG_9533.jpg

IMG_9534.jpg

IMG_9535.jpg

IMG_9536.jpg

That is cool.
    Striper fishing has been much better the last couple of years. Hopefully it continues to improve.

Big largemouth caught also.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

The 70's were the hay day for most freshwater fishing in the southeast.

Post up some pics of your granddads old lures when you can.

That's pretty cool

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    The 70's were the hay day for most freshwater fishing in the southeast.
    Ducks too!!!!
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    Post up some pics of your granddads old lures when you can.
    Yes sir will do. When he passed there were his 3 daughters. I was tasked with dividing all the tackle up into 3 different piles so they could random draw for them. This sucked because I couldn't cherry pick the lures and tackle I wanted, so I had to split it up to make sure I at least got something.

Fast forward several years I was at my one aunts lake house and she was bragging on her grandson (approx 8 years old) catching some nice largemouth and proceeded to show me his tackle box. Crammed in the bottom of the box was all the old lures not even thought about being used!! I told her I'd like to have them and even buy him new lures or pay him for the old ones. Once she thought they were worth some value she then said no she was going to take them out and put them up. They were just old junky lures until "I" wanted them! To say I was pissed is an understatement! That day forward my whole attitude was changed towards her. I still don't know whatever happened to them.

Yeah lol. They’re junk until they’re not. I collect a few different lures/ brands. The money some things sell for is mind blowing.

I remember fishing the tagged crappie tournaments(can't remember what they were called) as a child in the back 70's, early 80's...caught several of them over the years, one being worth $500. Big time event for an 8-9 yo!

Yeah, I remember those also. One of his buddies caught a tag while we were down there one time. He didn't mess with the crappie, only rockfish. I'll never forget seeing the coolers full of those big bastards. They were big as cookie sheets.

I remember late summer we used to run and gun for them(rockfish) in the late afternoon/early evenings...follow the birds and find them schooling up top. Used to cast a Striper Swiper plug with a white crappie jig tied onto the back as stinger hook setup at them and absolutely wear them out.

I used to go all the time with Snow and Buchanan when I was in the guard. Such good times. I haven't been striper fishing since I got out.
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 01-05-2024 at 08:25 AM.

THat is very neat. Thanks for sharing

DAMN I LOVED the early 80’s LOL

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Ducks too!!!!
    I am fortunate enough to say i was there for both the fish and ducks. 70"s was a unique time in history for outdoorsmen, fish were plentiful, ducks at a 60 year high, wild quail were plentiful, and deer and turkey were starting to hit their high points.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    I am fortunate enough to say i was there for both the fish and ducks. 70"s was a unique time in history for outdoorsmen, fish were plentiful, ducks at a 60 year high, wild quail were plentiful, and deer and turkey were starting to hit their high points.
    Absolutely!

Nice collection. You want to add to it come on down as I need to get rid of a bunch of stuff

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    Nice collection. You want to add to it come on down as I need to get rid of a bunch of stuff
    You still have all those old striper lures you got from me years ago? I wouldn’t mind buying some back from you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

I do!