Thread: School me on scopes

Default School me on scopes

So im looking for scope for that Ruger 7mm mag i bought on here and month or so back. It has a VX1 on it but im going to pull it off and put something new on top. I know crap about 1st or 2nd focal plane. Plan on shooting this one hunting fields and powerlines. Lets call it 500 yards max. Low light shooting is a must and illuminated retical is a plus. Something like the firedot on the Leupolds. Would love to shoot for under $800 but would go over if need be. What should i be looking at? Also going to be needing new rings as well since im sure this one probably won’t be 1” tube diameter. What says the brain trust?

Vx5 is my choice,i got the vx6 and its awesome in low light.

I don't know a ton, but the one put in the trading post today seems like a really good deal on a solid scope. Not sure it has all the features you want.

https://scducks.com/forum/showthread...Meopta-Optika6
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 03-19-2023 at 08:10 PM.

Go with meopta

https://www.eurooptic.com/Trijicon-C...ope-29000.aspx

Euro optic still has the Trijicons on sale. For the money it's gonna be hard to beat. I've been very happy with the one I put on my 223. For a mostly hunting scope I'd go SFP and illumination all day.

Meopta or Swarovski...........BEST prices at Cameraland in NY.........Ask or Doug 1-516 217 1000............They sell lessor brands too.

Hunting at 500yds or less SFP in 4-12 3-18 or so. Simple reticle in a duplex or #4 style. 50mm objective will do fine. 1” or 30mm tube. The Trijicons are good, know very little about the Optika6 in the TP but everything I’ve read is top notch for the money. EuroOptic, SWFA Sample List, OP, CameralandNY sales, open box and used can help you stretch your budget. $800 is in that price niche between a higher quality optic and a mid grade with bells and whistles. Always go with simpler and better glass over adjustable exposed turrets, complex reticle etc.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

The Trijicon Credo is a great scope.

I have the same scope that's in the trading post on my main rifle. It's a great scope. If I was in the market I would buy it but I have more scopes than rifles right now. Shot several at first and last light with it.

Point middle of it at the object that is far away. It’ll make it look closer. Hope this helps…..

Just messin…. I got a vortex works pretty good. Had a scope from Walmart before hand. The vortex is better much better.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I like the Meopta Meostar. What ever brand you buy get as good of glass as you can afford. You won’t be sorry. There is a big difference in the upper end glass and even mid level glass.

If you're planning to learn to shoot out to 500 yards you'll want a scope with an adjustable top turret. I recommend staying away from the BDC reticles (especially in second focal plane).

For your price point I'd say the Vortex Viper PST Gen II would be a good fit. https://www.eurooptic.com/vortex-vip...le-scopes.aspx

In my opinion this is a lot better glass, but a little over your budget. https://www.eurooptic.com/Swarovski-...ope-69760.aspx

Kind of a Ford v Chevy question

Most of my rifles have Leupold Vari X III on them but my new rifle has a Swarovski (there is a difference ).

I like the 56mm lens for low light and zoom up to 12-14 I mostly hunt big power line now and can shoot pretty good out to 400 yards but have good rest and sand bags in stand

Your budget a good Leupold should be just fine

If you're going to shoot 500 yards, you need to practice at 500 yards. That's a very long shot for most people. I shoot a lot and have my own range but I've never felt comfortable enough to take a shot at a live animal that far away.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Those Trijicons are the best value for the money. I have two.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    If you're planning to learn to shoot out to 500 yards you'll want a scope with an adjustable top turret. I recommend staying away from the BDC reticles (especially in second focal plane).

Care to elaborate?
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    If you're going to shoot 500 yards, you need to practice at 500 yards. That's a very long shot for most people. I shoot a lot and have my own range but I've never felt comfortable enough to take a shot at a live animal that far away.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Yeah i have shot out to 1,000 down at Cowden with one of Kenney’s rifles 20+ years ago. I have shot deer out to 350 with 30.06. Don’t plan to shoot deer out to 500 but if i ever take that rifle out west i want the ability as long as i can do my part.

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Care to elaborate?
    Not to speak for him….but with BDC reticles in SFP scopes, the subtension varies with magnification. Far better to dial in your solution, especially at longer ranges. Not the case in FFP scopes where the subtension stays the same.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.