Thread: Another Post for Youth

Default Another Post for Youth

Nothing like those spring woods. Buddy, his daughter, my son, and I all ran over to the farm Friday and did some evening scouting. Found a few birds and came up with a plan. Set up Saturday morning and had one gobble about 40 yards to our left where I expected. They heard a fly down. We got ready for them to pop out to our left. Kept waiting and looking, nothing. Turned my head and there are two long beards standing at hard right about 20 yards from us. They were gobble and strut. The lead bird would start taking a few steps to the decoy but would stop. I could yelp and he would take a few more. Just needed a few more steps but he turned around and they took off to go meet with a flock that was moving behind us in the woods. We were excited we were had some fun but disappointed as well.

Decided to move and saw plenty of birds but nothing close the rest of the day. Called it quits at lunch as the kids were tired and wanting to play in the yard. Buddy and I ran out and scouted some spots we saw some birds. After supper we did one more ride around and made our plans.

My boy and I decided to go sit up in the front off a field, clear cut, and pretty woods. We had seen a good sized flock there a few times and they were there our last ride through. We got in and got set up and waited. I expected there to be some good gobbling but it was silent other than a bird across the cutover on another field. I would just throw out some yelps here and there. About 7:55 am I thought I heard a gobble in the opening. I looked across field and nothing. We were talking when all of a sudden three jakes came walking over to decoy. I had him set up on rest and they would not separate so I would not give him the go ahead. They turned and walked away and I clucked. They all stopped. He was off the tripod following them free handed. Finally the two back ones turned and fed and the front on took a couple steps. He said I am on the front and I said do it, bang and flop at 30. Was proud of his shot with no rest.

We took our pictures and headed to truck. Drove over to a spot close to where buddy and daughter were. He calls and says they are in birds but they would not come. He wanted us to come call with them. We head over that way and have two birds hammering at us in woods behind us. They finally quiet and after a bit I get into conversation with some hens. They come out to field and feed down it. About this time we hear a faint gobble, like half hearted. I call and nothing. About 5 minutes later there is drumming on the road behind us. We turn and he is standing 10 yards to our right. The young lady gets turned around and he disappears. About two minutes later here he comes out in the field now behind her. He is searching for us. She slowly gets turned around. She gets set in him and I cluck. He stands up and looks, bang and flop at 20 yards.

Great to be back in the spring woods!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Man, can’t beat that with a stick!
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Excellent

Love that!

I'm loving these posts about kids and turkeys. Congratulations
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Congratulations to them both. Those are some huge smiles right there.

Outstanding. Thanks for posting!

Way to go kids and dads!

Nice work!
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Congrats Don!!! Very nice hunts.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

FANTASTIC ! ! ! Love this type post. Congrats.

Good job.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Good stuff!

Atta Boy
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Awesome stuff bud!