Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first youth weekend

Default My first youth weekend

The little man joined the crowd today. We hunted from daylight till he finally threw the towel in about 6 yesterday evening. Got close yesterday morning and got to hear some awesome gobbling. Sat a food plot yesterday afternoon and saw a couple of hens.

77E91B11-BD0D-42CE-BF97-31CF430BA4E3.jpeg

D5E5FB1E-1826-4D41-9B96-BB405DA7D3F2.jpeg

220DDA4D-6AF3-49C3-AB14-3AA14CD8095E.jpeg

Threw a pop-up on a chufa patch yesterday evening before we left for the day. Got there this morning and heard zilch. About 7:45, he was already getting antsy when I told him that we need to start keeping our eyes peeled since the sun was starting to hit the plot pretty good. About 10 minutes later, I heard something that sounded awfully like a spit. Peeked out the window to see the top of a fan at 30 yards and closing. Threw his ear muffs on and got his gun on the tripod. Bird strutted right to the decoys at about 14 yards. When Gunnar first saw him he started giggling like a little girl, and I knew he was hooked. I was telling him to aim low down next his beard(his little gun shoots ridiculously high) and to settle down when he jumped the gun(pun intended) and pulled the trigger. Longbeard flew off un-harmed. Since it was still only 8:05, I decided we’d just sit the plot a little longer. He got pretty bummed for about 5 minutes, then I talked him off the ledge and he remembered how awesome it was watching that bird strut in. He started getting giddy again and I was giving him the talk about how missing happens whether it’s baseball, deer hunting or turkey hunting, but we just have to keep at it. It wasn’t but maybe 25 minutes later that I looked up during our talk to see two white heads almost in the plot. We got his muffs on again and got his gun back up. Two jakes came up and started giving the decoys the circle of death and putting on a show. They finally separated and Gunnar was calm enough to try again. He shot, and missed again. I only brought two tss with us and now they were both sacrificed to the turkey gods. As luck would have it, there was a 2 1/2” #8 left in his shell holder on his stock from dove season. The jakes were still standing there and I figured inside of 15 yards it would work. Loaded him back up, and he sent the third shell of the morning. That one resulted in a very dead turkey and a very happy father and son. I’ve gotten to do some really amazing things in my life, but this one will forever rank near the top. God bless generous friends, jakes, and chufa patches!

DE2FCA97-5293-4AF0-A76B-E77B068BC0C6.jpeg

0C6A5ED3-583B-4CA3-BAA0-C4B4DD9CA8E3.jpeg

AE44162E-19C5-434E-911C-009EBA602541.jpeg

F4E65EFC-90FC-4C09-82B7-9EA15163F9F0.jpeg
    Last edited by quackaddict; 03-19-2023 at 03:33 PM.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Good stuff. I’m not a turkey hunter, but I enjoyed reading that. Congrats to the young man.
    More Ducks, Less People

Congrats!!!!

Way to go young man!!

Awesome! Congratulations!
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Thats awesome. Congrats to you both!

Wonderful day!

He's hooked now!

Congratulations to both of you. Heck of a story
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Good job Dad!! And way to go to the Killa.

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    Congratulations to both of you. Heck of a story
    I’m going to finally get off my ass now and get you a feather from this bird of his for that pot call!
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Congratulations to your son! Great pics.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Now that is awesome!! Sounds like an exciting morning! Congratulations

Great story. And sounds like God blessed that dove shell. Don’t under estimate a 410 with lead shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Great story. And sounds like God blessed that dove shell. Don’t under estimate a 410 with lead shot.
    Yes he did. We knelt down and said a prayer right over that bird too.

Thanks for posting pics and a great story!

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    I’m going to finally get off my ass now and get you a feather from this bird of his for that pot call!
    That should make a good one. Send a couple of feathers in case I screw up one.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Thats is so awesome!
    The ups and downs! The smiles say it all.

Awesome

That's awesome! congratulations