Thread: Burrying Internet Cable

Default Burrying Internet Cable

May be getting too far outside the realm of what should be asked on this site, but thought someone here may have experience with this, either as a consumer or does this kind of work.

I have a pretty remote property that lynches river (rivernet) is going to be running cable to for internet. Talked to the guy who is doing the work yesterday and they are having to run the cable over 10,000 feet to get to my place, but apparently they are required to provide it to all the power customers, so going to take it while I can get it. I dont get cell service at my place, so this would be a pretty nice benefit.

He said for the majority of the length of the cable they will burry the cable, not hang the cable on the power poles. Only when they have to traverse creeks or need to run it across a span that they cant burry it on, they will hang it. Otherwise it is going underground.

I asked him how deep and he said the machine puts it 12 or so inches in the ground. It was not a trench machine, rather a "diagonal slicer" and for the most part it wont be noticeable that they had put the cable in the ground. When I hear that, I really question if it is 12 + inches in the ground. Would think that type of machine would only have it 4-6 inches in the ground at most.

Reason I care - I plant a couple of food plots on the power line and where they plan to bury the cable. I disc the dirt up pretty good, broadcast and cover. Dont have a no til drill or anything like that, so will be turning the ground over generally once a year.

Should I be worried that the cable will work itself closer to the surface over time if the ground above it is disturbed? Got to think it gets cut at some point, and would like to avoid that. Hence the concern/question.

What says the brain trust?

Unfortunately my experience multiple times has been 1.5"-3". Good Luck.
    GREAT PEOPLE TALK ABOUT IDEAS.
    AVERAGE PEOPLE TALK ABOUT THINGS.
    SORRY PEOPLE TALK ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE.

SRS GRHRCH UH BOBO MNH
    2009 MID ATLANTIC RETRIEVER CHAMPION
    2009 HUNTSVILLE SRS CHAMPION

HRCH UH WOODY

The fiber that will be 12" deep will likely just be a "drop fiber" going to your actual residence.

Yes, it will be 12" deep. These machines can plow them in deeper than that with different blades (18"-24"), but 12" on drops is pretty much the standard.

No, its not going to work its way back to the surface unless you have some type of erosion going on.

Even if that drop gets cut, its not very expensive to repair. Less than $200 unless you rip a bunch of it out of the ground, and if so, figure $1.00/ft to replace the damaged section and a splice kit on both ends to tie it all back together.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 03-17-2023 at 10:33 AM.

They plow cable in all the time.

12” of depth is correct.

The only time I would think you would need to worry planting food plots would be if you were running a bottom plow or maybe a scarifier (some folks call it a spring tooth Harrow)
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by TARBABY View Post
    Unfortunately my experience multiple times has been 1.5"-3". Good Luck.
    If they are hand digging it in, maybe. But if the are burying with an actual vibratory plow, its harder to bury it at 1.5"-3" than it is to sink the blade and bury it at the 10-12"

I’m in the industry. Those machines typically get it 12” - 18”. All depends on soil type. Rocky clay soil won’t get it as deep. Sandy soils 12” no problem. My advice would be to be there when they bury it through your food plots. Other thing is 811 is a FREE service. Can always get it marked before you plan on discing. I capitalized FREE because it’s much cheaper than the $200ish they will be charging to fix it when you cut it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm shocked they're going underground with it. Everything I've been told by my wife(Works for the Competition), ALL internet cables will be ran via power poles. They must have changed something up.

But from what I gathered through her, when they're running fiber, it's probably on average 6" through all the soil types.
    Last edited by SCmudder7071; 03-17-2023 at 10:36 AM.

Another .gov boondoggle is paying for it. ATT is 100% on the hook for rural high speed internet per the breakup agreement, but nope. It’s you and me footing the bill again.

Quote Originally Posted by SCmudder7071 View Post
    I'm shocked they're going underground with it. Everything I've been told by my wife(Works for the Competition), ALL internet cables will be ran via power poles. They must have changed something up.

But from what I gathered through her, when they're running fiber, it's probably on average 6" through all the soil types.
    Unless its a Power Company that owns the pole line, its almost always going to be to placed underground in any type of rural setting. Otherwise, you have to pay the pole owner to allow you to attach to their poles..... Its usually a per pole per year rate.

Edit- it looks like Rivernet is owned by the Co-op so yea, surprised they are running it underground instead of on their own pole line.
    Last edited by dixiedeerslaya; 03-17-2023 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    Unless its a Power Company that owns the pole line, its almost always going to be to placed underground in any type of rural setting. Otherwise, you have to pay the pole owner to allow you to attach to their poles..... Its usually a per pole per year rate.
    Lynches River is the power company. Rivernet is owned by Lynches River, so think it is one in the same.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock1974 View Post
    Lynches River is the power company. Rivernet is owned by Lynches River, so think it is one in the same.
    How does the power get to your river place? is it buried or is it aerial?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Another .gov boondoggle is paying for it. ATT is 100% on the hook for rural high speed internet per the breakup agreement, but nope. It’s you and me footing the bill again.
    Hooking a dopamine line into the rural crowd because they need to get them hooked to the government tit through high speed indoctrination.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

We just got spectrum out in the sticks. I am the last house on the run and they buried that sucker for 300+ yards down the side of the dirt road and straight through my yard. You have to be looking for it to see it though. I bet the "trench" isn't 2" wide.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedeerslaya View Post
    How does the power get to your river place? is it buried or is it aerial?
    above ground the whole way.

Quote Originally Posted by gamecock1974 View Post
    above ground the whole way.
    hmmm. It is surprising that they are taking the buried approach. Buried is better long term for sure but more expensive considering they own the pole line, but an ice storm is hell on aerial fiber.