Thread: Planting asparagus???

Default Planting asparagus???

I've got 20 crowns coming. I've got about 30' of bed tilled up behind two little storage sheds in my yard. I incorporated some mushroom compost and a sprinkling of 10-10-10 while tilling.
    It's south facing, but sort of under some pecan trees. I think it should get plenty of sun. I'm planting them right up next to the back so they will be supported by the shed on one side as the ferns grow. I think I have picked a spot that should be fine for the next 10-20-30 years or how ever long they last.

Any tips from anyone that's got experience with establishing asparagus?

I cut mine back the first 3 years like everybody said. I think I finally pulled them up the 5th year after non producing anything worth eating.

I’d rather eat horse leather. Asparagus is some nasty nasty shit.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    I’d rather eat horse leather. Asparagus is some nasty nasty shit.
    Asparagus is some fine eating if you don't mind the smell of your pee the next 12 hours...

Both my daughters will push a chicken nugget aside to eat a plate full of asparagus.

I’m with them

I'll eat asparagus no mater how you cook it... casserole, broiled, steamed, grilled etc, but a fried asparagus is one of my favorites.

I like pickled asparagus. I will eat it any way you want to make it.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I like asparagus.

In the place I lived in Idaho, people would pick it wild growing beside the road. Didn't have a clue what they were doing until my boss told me.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

My wife does it on a cookie sheet in the oven with some italian seasoning mix and olive oil. Probably my favorite way to eat it. Dont think I've had it fried

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHeadRocker View Post
    I cut mine back the first 3 years like everybody said. I think I finally pulled them up the 5th year after non producing anything worth eating.
    For asparagus, focus on developing a well established root system.
    Unfortunately I think you recieved bad advice about cutting them back. The first 2-3 years the crowns/plants should be left to grow as much as possible, both above and below ground. Year 3 is okay to havest SOME spears if they are the thickness of pencil or larger. Year 4 begins open season on gus. Even still though, leave the small spears to fern out, allowing the sun to work it’s photosynthesis magic underground.

Asparagus is one of the original “superfoods” before the term became hip. The season’s first asparagus is some of the first vegetable nutrition that our bodies have missed out on over the winter. Also because it’s extensive root system mines nutrients from deeper down in the soil profile than most winter “greens type” veggies have access to.
    Last edited by DoubleSprig; 03-16-2023 at 12:08 PM.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

Lots of fertilizer, let them grow wild as suggested the first 2 years, cutting them back in the fall. Need plenty of water as well.

even I can grow asparagus
    and listen to these guys.
    I let the fern-like little guys grow and honestly just leave them till the next winter and I cut them back to the ground after they are dead.

we are just now getting our first ones of the year. I think this is year 6 or 7. I wish I could get them all to grow at the same time. that's my only beef thus far. its like i collect 2 or 3 a day until I get enough to eat.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Thanks gentlemen. Did yall plant them 10-12" below grade level and fill in as the shoots start coming up, or did you just plant them 2-3" below ground level? I've read both ways, but am strongly leaning towards the 10-12" deep and fill in as it grows method. I always figured the deeper any plants roots are, the better.