Thread: GPS Fence Collars

Default GPS Fence Collars

Are there any that are good or are they a waste?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think you referring to something that we use at the house. It's a base transmitter and the collars only allow the dogs to get so far away from it. It has worked great for us for the most part. The dogs know that when they hear the collar beep that if they don't come back closer to the house that they are going to get lit up. That being said, my female boykin is VERY strong headed/willed. If whatever is after is "worth it" in her mind then she's going anyway! She rides the lightning like its not even there until she decides to come back. Once she's on the return she remembers that she's getting the hell zapped out of her and cries and runs as hard as she can to the house.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    I think you referring to something that we use at the house. It's a base transmitter and the collars only allow the dogs to get so far away from it. It has worked great for us for the most part. The dogs know that when they hear the collar beep that if they don't come back closer to the house that they are going to get lit up. That being said, my female boykin is VERY strong headed/willed. If whatever is after is "worth it" in her mind then she's going anyway! She rides the lightning like its not even there until she decides to come back. Once she's on the return she remembers that she's getting the hell zapped out of her and cries and runs as hard as she can to the house.
    The ones I am talking about you can either manually set the perimeter with the app or you can actually walk the perimeter and set it. Seems like it would be hard to trust the accuracy

They work better for large properties where they can have some variances. I looked at invisible fences a few years back, and I think the boundary could vary up to about ten feet depending on things. Decided to go with the wire instead. Felt like that was too much and the dog wouldn't take to the training as well.

We can set the distance on ours. It’s just a straight line distance though. It works for us because we are on 2 1/2 acres and don’t want the dogs too far from the house.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I’ve got the pet safe one from tractor supply and it works fine keeping a year old lab in yard. It does seem like the radius isn’t 100% consistent but she knows her boundaries. My only complain is batteries for collar.

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    We can set the distance on ours. It’s just a straight line distance though. It works for us because we are on 2 1/2 acres and don’t want the dogs too far from the house.
    Is yours GPS based, or radio?

https://www.halocollar.com/shop-wire...xoCl2QQAvD_BwE

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    Is yours GPS based, or radio?
    This is the one we use. It's radio frequency and we have an extra collar for it. No worry about roads at our current location. We just dont want the dogs running off into the woods chasing skunks and stuff. Like I said we're on 2.5 acres living in a fifth wheel. The dogs have free run of the area as long as they are within 100ft of the camper.

https://www.petsmart.com/dog/crates-...fmethod=Browse

Quote Originally Posted by wob View Post
    They work better for large properties where they can have some variances. I looked at invisible fences a few years back, and I think the boundary could vary up to about ten feet depending on things. Decided to go with the wire instead. Felt like that was too much and the dog wouldn't take to the training as well.
    Would that matter considering the collar likely will give a warning. Seems to me you could train the dog to the sound instead of sight with the flags. But that’s just me thinking through it. If it moved ten feet day to day would it matter that much.

I got one you can use and try , bought it from fellow member and don’t have a good gps signal for it work good. Forgot the brand.