Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pro/elite amateurs

And the pros are starting to come out against it..

I'm not even sure where BJG is trying to get at.. please, a double gun doesn't handicap a thing, you can be "killer" if your going to say that with wax and doubles.. if someone wants to take golf back closer to traditional, go play in a hickory league or club, whatever they call it.

Start at the 19th hole and from there play the ball where it lies .
    We gave you Corn,you gave us clap,bad trade.

There cant be two sets of rules. An am qualifies for the US open, and now he has to play with their ball or does he now have an advantage playing the longer ball. It screws up his game hes not accustomed to if he has to switch. SO does the USGA say you use this different ball in USGA competitions? As an am do I qualify with one ball and have to switch to another? DO I play with the regulated ball in the qualifier and now have to practice with it to get accustomed to it? It makes no sense and hurts the game. I thought Titleist's response was the best.

As mentioned, technology has advanced, but the ball definitely has. No more balata balls and no more shot shaping, swing hard and its less likely to go left or right. If they want to do something, best is stop it where it is, not revert but dont allow it to progress.

No matter how advanced the equipment…it’s always the Indian and never the arrow. Golf your ball.

What does Sportin say?…“No new laws, no new regs!”

I couldn’t shape the ball 10 years ago when I quit playing. I can’t imagine how far the ball has come since then.
    Go Tigers!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Thicker rough and tougher pin placements would do way more to "rein in" distance than some dumb tech rules. And I agree HS, it's not like the scoring average is very much different today vs 20 years ago. You don't see guys shooting -30 and murdering courses.
    Thick rough and tucked pins have existed for a long time. The players are “that good”.
    Go Tigers!!!

Plenty of really great players missed the cut last weekend….

The overlooked problem with the extra distance of new ball and clubs, is it has made traditional golf courses nonrelevant. A 420 yard par 4 is a 3wood and lob wedge for the pros. Prior to "improvements" in technology that was a driver and 7 iron.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckkiller View Post
    Thick rough and tucked pins have existed for a long time. The players are “that good”.
    pfff, like you know anything

Quote Originally Posted by bbhntr48 View Post
    The overlooked problem with the extra distance of new ball and clubs, is it has made traditional golf courses nonrelevant. A 420 yard par 4 is a 3wood and lob wedge for the pros. Prior to "improvements" in technology that was a driver and 7 iron.
    Evolve or die. Nothing lasts forever. And I'd still argue that the scoring average on your hypothetical par 4 wouldn't be astronomically lower. Maybe a 3.5 instead of a 3.7 or something. You still got to hit the shot. Plenty of guys will still pull that 3 wood off the tee into the woods or hit that lob wedge to 30 plus feet. If the PGA wanted to honor the tradition, they could always have 1 tournament a year at one of those courses and make the players use old equipment. Kind of like the throwback week at NASCAR. I think it would be a hit with fans. But, nobody wants to see that every week.
    Last edited by Remy; 03-16-2023 at 07:34 AM.

Harbor Town is relevant. I still think they could just limit the tech to where it sits today, then if courses can adjust a little.. most can't afford to go grab distance like Augusta, but the cost of everything adds up once you start adding distance. If they want to protect it, harden the greens, tighten it up. The scoring averages just aren't showing that much of a difference. I'm not saying let the greens get away, like Shinnecock or anything, that just turns into luck.. and I know it's a fine line too.

Our course is shorter, it's played along the lines of a lot of courses that are a thousand yards longer or close for years in US Open qualifying, until last year we got dumped on the day before.. Random college kids, they're all good, shot like 5 course records. It kinda hurt to watch. The next day, the greens dried out, our super and the USGA got together, the few young men the day before were around par. I know we have an entire echelon of extremely good golfers on here, better and more accolades then me.. I'm not a slouch, but I know some of y'all.. I just think rolling anything back, or separate standards would be horrible for the game.

The one thing I enjoy are the tournaments on the old courses that they played 75 years ago.,....like The Opens and Augusta. I hate to see the improved ball flights require these courses to make major yardage changes and end up with a different course.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 03-16-2023 at 08:10 AM.

"I'm not a slouch, but I know some of y'all.. I just think rolling anything back, or separate standards would be horrible for the game."

Don't underestimate yourself. You're a tremendous slouch.

The governing bodies are in a tough spot. If they limit or put a stop to technological advances, equipment manufacturers will attempt to sue their pants off because it will limit their ability to innovate and sell new equipment. Bifurcating the rules would also hurt manufacturers because you could no longer play the same equipment your favorite tour pro plays.

haha, so you must have seen my play and index jump... three teenagers, a business, a little health thingy, and agreeing to serve my club has been detrimental to my game. I think I'm a 5 now, but it's feeling good right at the moment.. and I'm going to play in my first member guest in years, so I don't mind not giving so many shots away. I just love the game, and I agree with what you've said.

Nah, just saw an opportunity to poke a little good natured fun at you while making a caddyshack reference. Good luck in the member guest. Hope all your fellow competitors are bitchin' about your "inflated handicap" when it's all done.

Quote Originally Posted by Scattergun View Post
    Nah, just saw an opportunity to poke a little good natured fun at you while making a caddyshack reference. Good luck in the member guest. Hope all your fellow competitors are bitchin' about your "inflated handicap" when it's all done.
    I can assure you that I will 100% be bitching about his "inflated" handicap no matter what it is at the time. Assuming he is talking about playing in the Camden Member Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Scattergun View Post
    "I'm not a slouch, but I know some of y'all.. I just think rolling anything back, or separate standards would be horrible for the game."

Don't underestimate yourself. You're a tremendous slouch.
    tell em, Judge!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I don’t understand the I want to play the same equipment they play argument. We aren’t even playing the same game those elite level guys are playing. Most equipment they use now is far different than what we can buy. Who says you can’t use the new ball they develop? I’m sure it will be for sale at shops just like the current line of balls. Listen to the No Laying Up podcast with Mike Whan. He makes a good argument for the roll back and lays out their thought process.