Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mercury vs Yamaha

I put a Yamaha F90 on the Jon Boat, I like it a lot. Big boat has a pair of 3.3L F250’s that have been money. My F300 was great once I got the bad fuel and VST filter changed oh and the water jackets cleaned from salt build up.

Just got back from Venice. There’s a mix of all of them pushing those big Freeman’s around. Asked Capt Beach why he chose the Suzuki DF350’s and he said simply they just don’t break like the others. One boat’s waiting 3 months now on a new power head (V8 Merc), they’re going through shift linkages every 300hrs on the Yamahas and just do 100hr services on the Suzukis. Makes me want to take a hard look at the Suzuki if I need to repower.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Funny, I just recently fished with Scott Leger from Paradise. He had Suzukis on is boat and he said they were the biggest piece of crap he has ever run. He said "never again".

That’s the first negative review I’ve heard for Suzuki.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

There are a shit load of negative Suzuki reviews. Yamaha ain’t perfect either……what about the F225 that rots from the inside out, you can’t give them away. What about the 350 that considers flywheels regular service?

All of them require something.

I’d pick based on quality of service within my geographical location and enjoy my new boat.
    Last edited by Chessbay; 03-10-2023 at 07:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Ask any Somali pirate, they are exclusively Team Yamaha (mostly 2-stroke). If you only had one motor and you were crossing hundreds of miles of ocean before you commandeered a freighter, what engine is the #1 choice....Yamaha. You can also bet they drove a Toyota truck down to the water's edge too. I know it would be bad form to advertise that but there is value in their experience. MG

Attachment 82187
    They really should secure those RPGs better. That or his copilot is about to be dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post

I’d pick based on quality of service within my geographical location and enjoy my new boat.
    For 99% of us that is key. Other than early issues with my F300 that were all fuel related I’ve just had normal service on my Yamahas.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Yamaha ain’t perfect either……what about the F225 that rots from the inside out, you can’t give them away. What about the 350 that considers flywheels regular service?

All of them require something.

The 225 was a joint venture with Mercury when Yamaha was forced into the 4-Stroke world kicking and screaming. I would also stay clear of the HPDI Yamaha's all of those and that 225 were when they were rushing to comply with US emissions in short order. I wish all outboards were as dependable as those Yamaha 3-cylinder, 3-carb outboards or those OX66 Saltwater series that are bulletproof. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I take any engine or truck recommendation with a grain of salt. I used to think everyone took care of their stuff like I do, but I quickly learned that’s not reality. I’d wager over half of the issues people complain about could have been prevented by regular maintenance or not ragging the crap out of it.

The 225 was a joint venture with Mercury when Yamaha was forced into the 4-Stroke world kicking and screaming. I would also stay clear of the HPDI Yamaha's all of those and that 225 were when they were rushing to comply with US emissions in short order. I wish all outboards were as dependable as those Yamaha 3-cylinder, 3-carb outboards or those OX66 Saltwater series that are bulletproof. MG
    I had a 225 OX66 with about 3700 hours on it and it ran perfectly with zero issues other than regular service.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    And the last time we were in the Bahamas ���� I was trying to figure out if I could put a brand new Yamaha enduro 90 in the fish box to bring back.
    There's a guy out of Calabash that has a 70-90 Enduro for sale on Facebook every month or two. Not sure how they are getting them, but I thought about picking one up to have a less than 10 year old 2 stroke.

This, is sos true. This is about what is happening with EV's the tech isnt there, but you have a proven rigid working platform you want to ditch in the name of climate.

There is nothing like those and the EFI mercs. That smell of two stroke flowing just over the water. That idle. The spin up...
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    This, is sos true. This is about what is happening with EV's the tech isnt there, but you have a proven rigid working platform you want to ditch in the name of climate.

There is nothing like those and the EFI mercs. That smell of two stroke flowing just over the water. That idle. The spin up...
    Those EFI mercs were POS. I couldn't tell you how many times I've been on a boat that came in with one kicked up and blown or been a passenger on a boat that limped back in. 9/10 issues these days are fuel related either ethanol mixed with non-ethanol and left to sit where phase separation happens, ethanol gas left sitting with no treatment or crap gas with ethanol in it. The Yamaha F225's issue was dry exhaust corrosion and that was due to a manufacturing defect/flaw, the 3.3L 200's and 250's aren't immune to it either but have overall been better. It's not a terrible fix if it happens though and once done, they are pretty bulletproof. The 3.3L F250 is about as reliable and engine as has ever been produced, the F300 isn't far behind it either. As to the F350 flywheel issues, Yamaha covers that in their maintenance schedule now so if you have the issue, it's either because your mechanic isn't following the service procedure or you're skipping it for some reason.

The new Mercs are impressive but, I've never had luck with Mercury and don't want to have another GM issue.

I was surprised that Captain Beach said what he did about the Suzuki's because I had heard a lot of bad things about parts and service in the past. I was impressed with how they ran though, quiet, strong as goat piss and smooth. I know a few guys with them and they all love them and haven't had issues that I've read about, never actually met someone who had an issue. The mix in Venice this week was about 1/3, 1/3 and 1/3 from the different charters down there. Those guys punish those engines, putting 10yrs worth of hours for what most of us do in one year.

There's a reason they don't make 2strokes anymore and it isn't because of EPA regulations. OMC went belly up because no one wanted their engines.

I have a EFI that is still going from 2000. I love that motor. It never has or does run in slat water other than an occasional trip through the locks to Charleston and back. Primarily only sees Santee.

Always been a great motor.

Never ran ethanol in it except 2 times I got caught on the water and had to put fuel in it from a place that is no longer open. Only put enough to get me to the next place.

Always have tried to run 93-91 in it.
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 03-10-2023 at 12:58 PM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I will just keep my ol Johnson 25 cause it is bulletproof. I have owned 3 of them you can't kill um unless you forget to put the oil in the tank.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

I would encourage everyone to learn to do the basic maintenance. It is nowhere near as difficult as you may think and plenty of resources out there. You can learn a lot about your motors health by putting your eyes on it and often do it better/much less expensively than a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    I would encourage everyone to learn to do the basic maintenance. It is nowhere near as difficult as you may think and plenty of resources out there. You can learn a lot about your motors health by putting your eyes on it and often do it better/much less expensively than a shop.
    That's the damned truth. Trucks too.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Absolutely. And don’t pump the oil out, drain it, that’s what the plug idle for. It’s amazing what’s at the bottom of the oil pan on some 4-strokes I’ve assisted in servicing……

Absolutely. And don’t pump the oil out, drain it, that’s what the plug idle for. It’s amazing what’s at the bottom of the oil pan on some 4-strokes I’ve assisted in servicing……
    Grease the bolts before they go back in, your future self will say thank you.

Very good advice.

Even a bubblehead can do it...