Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boating safety certificate

Default Boating safety certificate

This bill passed the senate unanimously. It will fly through the house unless fought. It requires a boating safety certificate. The estimated time to complete the course is from 4 to 8 hours. Big government knows best...

TO AMEND THE SOUTH CAROLINA CODE OF LAWS BY AMENDING SECTION 50-21-10, RELATING TO DEFINITIONS FOR THE EQUIPMENT AND OPERATION OF WATERCRAFT, SO AS TO PROVIDE THE DEFINITION OF PERSONAL WATERCRAFT; BY AMENDING SECTION 50-21-90, RELATING TO THE BOATING SAFETY AND EDUCATIONAL PROGRAM, SO AS TO REQUIRE THE DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES TO ISSUE A BOATING SAFETY CERTIFICATE UPON THE COMPLETION OF CERTAIN REQUIREMENTS; TO AMEND ARTICLE 1, CHAPTER 21, TITLE 50, RELATING TO THE EQUIPMENT AND OPERATION OF WATERCRAFT, BY ADDING SECTION 50-21-95, SO AS TO PROVIDE THAT IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR A PERSON TO OPERATE CERTAIN WATERCRAFT ON THE WATERS OF THIS STATE WITHOUT HAVING POSSESSION OF A BOATING SAFETY CERTIFICATE, WITH CERTAIN EXCEPTIONS; TO REPEAL SECTION 50-21-870(A)(1), RELATING TO THE DEFINITION FOR THE TERM "PERSONAL WATERCRAFT"; AND TO REPEAL SECTION 50-21-870(B)(9), RELATING TO THE OPERATION OF CERTAIN WATERCRAFT BY PERSONS YOUNGER THAN SIXTEEN YEARS OF AGE.

Section 50-21-95. (A) It is unlawful for a person to operate upon the waters of this State a vessel powered by an engine of ten horsepower or greater, a personal watercraft, or a specialty propcraft without having possession of a South Carolina boating safety certificate issued by the department in the person's name, unless the person:

(1) was born on or before July 1, 2007;
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

What are the certain exceptions?

This will hurt the booming jet ski rental industry

If they do end up requiring it needs to be online and free!

I wonder if there are penalty provisions, i.e. driving without a drivers license.

It will not affect a single soul out on the water currently...anybody older than 15 is exempt.

It should be retroactive, but this is a good start. And BRAVO for 2,C. VERY much needed.
    Last edited by bloodline; 03-08-2023 at 08:17 AM.

My son missed the cut by 24 days
    Last edited by baydog; 03-08-2023 at 08:18 AM.

It’s a good start but I’d move the age to 50, make it online onetime and charge 20 bucks, and couple it it to boat registration.if you get your sticker you have the Boat Dl. Kids mostly don’t own boats and jetskis. That’s common sense. I bet the dude putting in fleet of rental boats at IOP marina doesn’t love this. However based on number of times I’ve been checked by DNR on the water in my lifetime, this is a non issue.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

If jet skis aren’t included rank this right up there with logging Santee Cooper lakes. Dumb as shit.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

OR, OR, the GW's patrolling the waters now could enforce the laws already on the damn books instead of harassing people not doing anything wrong.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    OR, OR, the GW's patrolling the waters now could enforce the laws already on the damn books instead of harassing people not doing anything wrong.....
    Its about revenue, not safety.

registration, certificate, permit, license, etc, etc, its all about them benjamins
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

How do we fight this bullshit?

I think this a good start. My requests would be:
    1.) anyone who has moved here in 2020 and on is required to take course
    2.) anyone 45 years or younger be required to take course
    3.) to rent a boat, an SC boating license is required.

1&2 somewhat overlap
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

How about a state-sanctioned certificate to back a trailer at the boat ramp too?
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    How about a state-sanctioned certificate to back a trailer at the boat ramp too?
    Back a trailer/boat ramp etiquette.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

NC and FL require one, I had to complete because at the time it was passed I was outside the exceptions of born before 1979.

I don't like more rules but there are some old people who don't know how to drive a boat.

There are some kids born after 2007 that I would let run a 31 CC.

I am constantly amazed by the amount of people that just want to be totally controlled by the .gov