Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turkey Chokes for two son's guns

Default Turkey Chokes for two son's guns

I, admittedly, am ignorant to most things related to guns. I know how to load them, shoot them, and on occasion i hit what I am aiming at.

My boys (11 and 13) have gotten to an age where they now both have their own 20 gauge. One got a montefeltro and the other has a franchi affinity compact.

I have been trying to figure out the appropriate turkey choke to get for each gun and with all the varying aftermarket options, I am lost. I know I am overcomplicating it, but with buying it online, I am trying to not have this be an iterative process. Last year - the older boy shot a bird with his factory full choke. It did the job, but the bird was pretty close. Would like to get a turkey choke for both guns in the event of a longer shot.

Questions -

1 - it seems that the chokes from these two guns are interchangeable, being that both are made by benelli. Is that accurate?

2 - there are some that are .555 vs .568 vs .570. What do these measurements represent?

3 - some specify they are "tss" chokes. Is this a marketing ploy since TSS seems to be all the rage? Or is there some variation to this choke that you need to shoot TSS rounds? I am struggling with an 11 year old shooting $9 shells for some reason. Should i avoid a TSS choke if shooting poor man's turkey loads?

Does one of these work?

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/38013

https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/c70135

Thanks in advance

1. It looks like the montefeltro takes Crio chokes and the affinity takes beretta/benelli mobil chokes

2. That number is the constriction of the choke. The lower the number the tighter the choke.

3. $9-10 per shell ends up being the cheapest part of the whole hunt. don't skimp on quite possibly the most important part.

i shoot a sumtoy .562 in my affinity. it does all i could ask for and more. can't speak for the montefeltro
    Last edited by SCWOODROW; 03-14-2023 at 01:20 PM.

The .555/.568 are the constrictions of said choke. The TSS chokes will shoot whatever you run through them. For kids I’d stay with a more open choke and shoot a few at the range to find out what your pattern looks like at killable ranges with whatever shell you choose. The thing with TSS is I’ve never seen it shoot bad in any choke. By being so dense coupled with the ability to shoot such smaller shot and increasing payload it just simply outperforms everything else available.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

.555 is tight. I like a little more openess and shoot a .580. Put it on paper, but for a young kid I would spend the money on TSS and shoot a factory full if you're going to splurge on one or the other.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

Plenty of turkeys have died in front of a modified choke.
    DILLIGAF

I have a Improved mod for my sons shotgun. A turkey choke I think is tight and with the 595 constriction he has wiggle room. He can kill one to 30-40 yard shooting handloaded 9s.

I second the .562 Sumtoy. Got one in a M1 20 and it's awesome.

I shoot a IC .562-5 in my affinity. Had to put a sight on this gun because it shoots 4-6 inches right with the turkey choke in it. I’m sure you could put a factory full choke in the gun and shoot TSS and kill 100% of the turkeys you get in range. With that said folks killed them for years with lead 6s but used bigger gauges to do it. Tungsten has changed the game for being able to thump one at crazy ranges with smaller gauge weapons.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

I've got a crio jellyhead forget the constriction. Should fit either gun. Give me your address and I'll mail it to you. See if it works. If you like it, you can buy it.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I haven’t jumped on the tss wagon (still shooting magblends til I run out) yet but I’ll say this,

You’ve bought your son a nice shotgun, a good choke, you’ve bought license and tags, awakened early and now have a bird coming your way…

Is it at that point you really want to worry about the price of the shell?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I haven’t jumped on the tss wagon (still shooting magblends til I run out) yet but I’ll say this,

You’ve bought your son a nice shotgun, a good choke, you’ve bought license and tags, awakened early and now have a bird coming your way…

Is it at that point you really want to worry about the price of the shell?
    Good point...

I would go with a more open choke with tss and a kid. A .555 with number 9s is a tight pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I would go with a more open choke with tss and a kid. A .555 with number 9s is a tight pattern.
    Fact. My daughter has an IC on her 410, even with a red dot.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I'm with the open choke crowd, my boys(the oldest being 9) have killed 5 or 6 so far and never with anything tighter than a modified. Id center punch a bird at 40 yards with a modified 20ga TSS all day long.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I like the .570 a little more for my boys, but the .562 is an excellent constriction overall. Indian Creek or Sumtoy are my chokes of choice, but Jebs also makes a darn good one. Definitely don't avoid tss, as it's actually a big advantage for them. Aim in middle of the big turkey if they'd like and pull the trigger. Most tss loads like and pattern excellent out of more open chokes in my experience.

Duck Cutter has an excellent point too. Had that conversation with a good friend the other day. A few of us went to pattern our guns the other day, which that particular guy had never really bothered to do. He was shooting his 12ga and trusty old shells, which were good ones (longbeards) actually. He couldn't bring himself to pay the price for tss...nevermind what our club lease etc is. It looked so crappy on paper at 40...I pulled out my .410 and put it to shame. Then I handed him a 12ga Rogue tss I just had for friends or guests that may hunt with me with a 12. He shot it and couldn't believe it. He went straight to the store to buy some shells.

Find a good pattern and stick with it. Don’t try to reinvent the wheel. Some good suggestions in here.

.570 or a Factory Modified with TSS
    Factory Full for MagBlends, Longbeards, Hevi 13, etc…

The more you get down the rabbit hole of TSS the more you’ll think about how tight, how far, where to shoot, is he too close for my tight pattern, am I sure this is the right load I patterned best? All those thoughts seem to hit right when you’ve got a gobbling bird in front of you.

Find a load that patterns well at 40 yards, buy as much of that load you can afford, and forget about it. Put the bead on the base of his head and pull the trigger.

I have 20 boxes left of MagBlends out of a Fixed Full 20ga that I’ve been shooting since 2010. The only birds I’ve missed have been when I haven’t taken that gun. Probably just jinxed myself…
    Last edited by FULLCHOKE; 03-14-2023 at 03:15 PM.

My vote would be standard choke with tss.

Factory full

shockingly, i'd vote for whatever choke is in the gun....

TSS are great but i got other shells I'm gonna shoot too.

I wouldnt make this too difficult. I will say TSS in a 20ga is plenty deadly...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    I'm with the open choke crowd, my boys(the oldest being 9) have killed 5 or 6 so far and never with anything tighter than a modified. Id center punch a bird at 40 yards with a modified 20ga TSS all day long.
    This. My daughter kills them plenty well with a .410, mod choke and TSS 9’s
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands