Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Someone explain TikTok and why it is being banned

Default Someone explain TikTok and why it is being banned

Keep seeing stuff about TikTok be banned on Government phones and possibly a complete ban in US

Do not use TikTok and not real sure what it does but just curious as to what all the concern is for this

I assume this is something younger folks use ? Do have one older guy that eats breakfast at same restaurant w me lot of mornings and he believes everything he sees on TikTok (but he does not watch tv at all )

Figured someone here can explain to me what all the issues are with it
    Last edited by tprice; 03-07-2023 at 12:35 PM.

China
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

It's an app that China can use to harvest information off of the phones that load the app. So, any government employee that has the app installed on their phone is literally being spied on my China. I'm sure we have the technology too but China just won't let it inside their borders.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

SMITCH320 answered in 1 word.

They basically have taken control over a large sample of the US smart phones and are using them as a super powerful intelligence gathering apparatus. Once installed they can turn on turn off mics and cameras at will. They can browser user history and info on said phone, all in the background.

The average response is so what I'm not doing anything wrong. To which the person is right. However that person may be standing in a room with someone the CCP deems a target and they can in turn weaponize all the phones to gather info from external to internal with out the target even knowing.

They dont need a ballon to spy!

They also can effect trends and thought patterns by altering algorithms and promoting certain things "hive mind" concept. Much of the stuff we in the US can see especially marketed towards our youth can not be seen in China. For instance all the gender fluid nonsense. They also promote racial divides, and violence to certain demographics. One of the ways they due this is subliminal messaging. The US sorta banned this technique back in 1958, but not really. They had some really good stuff back then already! You can thank the Nazi's. Fast forward Obama took out the last vestiges of any rules in 2013.

Before you think I'm nuts you better do your own homework. Especially when it comes to developing minds.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Always the contrarian, I wonder if the push to ban is because it's a good source for uncensored information and the powers that be can't control the narrative. Of course to sell censorship and control, there has to be a boogeyman, real or imagined.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

If they don't have FBI on staff to dictate truth, ban it.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

In the terms and conditions of tik tok it gives the app access to all devices. Even if the app isn't on that device. Like your phone accessing all the files on your home computer. They tell you this if you read the contract

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

It would be nice if there was platform that didnt want to steel all your info and the .gov wasnt influencing trends. It couldnt make money and would be attacked from the US .gov and the CCP

Good point Everlast. Unfortunately in this instance it is the CCP and not our own FBI. pick and choose your poison.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

The TOS also allows them to use a keystroke logger from what I read. That means they can get all of your usernames and passwords.

Google joe Rogan on Tik toks terms of service.

In addition to things listed by other posters, they can us your phone’s GPS and track your location. They are allegedly using this technology to track Chinese nationals outside of china. Not a big jump for them to track anyone, anytime for any reason.

From their terms of service

“TikTok collects your approximate location information based on your device or network information, such as SIM card and IP address. In regions where Location Services is available, TikTok will also collect your location information based on your device's GPS data if you enable Location Services.“
    Last edited by Jozie & Me; 03-07-2023 at 02:22 PM.
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

Quote Originally Posted by Jozie & Me View Post
    Google joe Rogan on Tik toks terms of service.
    Beat me to it
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

I'll put another spin on this.

Our government keeps saying they are against tiktok due to China spying. However, look at how many major events in other countries that no one would have ever known where going on if it wasn't for social media like tiktok.

Look up Tik Tok in China. All educational.

It is what you feed the mind.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    I'll put another spin on this.

Our government keeps saying they are against tiktok due to China spying. However, look at how many major events in other countries that no one would have ever known where going on if it wasn't for social media like tiktok.
    No one is doubting the value of social media to access info. This is about TikTok and China specifically stealing I fo from your phone, and banning shit to kids in their country that the Tik Tok algorithms spoon feed our youth on he daily.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Basically, our government wants to be the ones to violate our privacy via our cellphones. They don't want competition from China.

That's why I laughed at all this "the government's gonna put microchips in the vaccine!" stuff. They don't need to, they've already got them in the cellphone we carry around all day.

because it's ghey, the tiktocs that is. I'm a grown up so I don't look at it.

i dont tiktok bc i want to be like ralph.

and the real answer is SPY BALLOON.

how many of you once had TikTok and have deleted it?
    I put the o/u at 2
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I deleted TikTok the day we shot the spy balloon down. At that point it was probably too late but oh well.
    "I swear if I found you in a marsh I don't know that I could keep myself from mud stomping you" -Griffin

it was a weather balloon.
    but good job.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.