Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: To SUV or not to SUV...that is the question

Default To SUV or not to SUV...that is the question

Truck or SUV to transport hunting dogs? I got out of a pick up and into an SUV and now I am thinking of switching back..I'm curious to see what yall use. I have an itch to add another dog for bird hunting purposes so that will be two dogs to transport. It could be done with either type of vehicle..I guess this could be one of those polls, but I'm pretty lazy and just don't care..hit it.
    At least I'm housebroken.

Truck with a camper shell?

I have a truck and an SUV. If it's somewhere close and I'll be in and out, I use the Land Cruiser. If I'm driving more than an hour, I take the truck with a camper shell. If I had to pick one and putting multiple dogs in it was a big concern, I'd choose the truck with a camper shell.

I have two GSPs and a Setter.

I use both. My favorite is SUV though.

Covered, climate controlled. Safer for dogs if you were to get in a crash. I just picked up a Ruff Land Intermediate, and also have another bird dog in the works, so I will need two kennels. Two of those kennels will fit perfectly and compactly in the back of the SUV I have.

It's more organized, I'm OCD about my hunting stuff and it can be easier organized. Lay down the back seats and have almost as much room as a small truck.

During season I can leave the bulk of my stuff and dog gear in there and not have to worry about it getting rained on. Ready to go whenever you get a free afternoon from work, last minute trip, etc...

Sounds like a truck is in my future..I can only have one vehicle that also serves as a daily driver. I'm considering getting a crew cab with an 8' bed for plenty of room for road trips. I'm not too fond of camper shells but see their value. Speshlee when you hunt public land alot.

I have a pickup but my dogs ride up front with me. It takes it toll on the interior but my truck is old and paid for. It's basically a rolling kennel. I treat my dogs more like children than dogs. They still hunt like dogs.

When I get a new truck, I'll probably get one of those back seat tarp/seat protectors that hang from the back of the front seats to the headrests on the back seat.

Pickup with a dog box. I don’t want to hear them or smell them, especially if we are traveling. Has top storage for bowls, leashes, stakes and veterinary supplies. The dogs seem to like it also because once it goes in the truck they won’t leave you alone……….

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Pickup with a dog box. I don’t want to hear them or smell them, especially if we are traveling. Has top storage for bowls, leashes, stakes and veterinary supplies. The dogs seem to like it also because once it goes in the truck they won’t leave you alone……….
    Talked to a guy that rolled in an older Ford Expedition and trialed dogs..he said the smell of the dirty hunden inside the vehicle was always a factor on long trips. That's why I am thinking the best vehicle is a truck and dog box.

Let me know before SCDucks if you get rid of your current vehicle. I'd be interested for my wife.

I've always been an SUV guy. I keep a hitch rack at the deer club in case I need to haul a deer.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

yeah, they smell can get bad, suvs.. Then think of dead animals too, kills my suv idea, toting around a trailer hitch for dead deer is just not me. Years ago, like the first model of the 250s change, 99 I think maybe. I had a buddy, fancy guy that bought the first one. I thought they were kinda ugly at first, but they grew on me. Within a couple weeks he had a matching camper shell on it, pre Excursion. He had a bed system laid into it, different kennel systems for his couple retrievers. I kinda fell in love with it, and got the merit. I wish I could get into a shell, but the need of a bed is greater.

I had a 77 bronco sport, the last small model.. I threw a dead deer on it's tailgate once, left it down, closed the hard shell back. The blood was able to jump, halfway through town I looked down and the blood had run from the tailgate up under the font bucket seats. It was putrid for a little bit, most of it was dried before I could really get a handle on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    Let me know before SCDucks if you get rid of your current vehicle. I'd be interested for my wife.

8' bed with a camper shell...

Get a bedslide. Best thing I've bought, hands down. Watch marketplace. You'll find a deal. I got mine for $100.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Also, my hound(s) dont ride up front. Sheddingest mofo I have ever seen. Worse than a lab.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Always a truck. I have an Owens two compartment box with top storage. If I need a spot for a third, I put a Ruffland in front of the aluminum box. Last fall I bought a Softopper and it worked out great on our trip to Maine. My truck bed is 6.5’. That is plenty most of the time but an 8’ bed would be great on weeklong trips. Years ago I pondered the SUV vs truck question. Once your dogs have an encounter with a skunk, you’ll be thankful for the truck. Hunt long enough and it will happen. The first time was a January hunt in NC for grouse. The second was a December hunt in Kansas with 6” of snow on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right now my kennel rides in back seat with gear etc , have been threatening to get the old man camper shell. Buddy just got a new one door/windows and it's slick. Maybe he will chime in on what the door/windows are called.

I like having the open bed for fishing rods etc but starting to see the benefits of a shell.
    Last edited by scdiver; 03-07-2023 at 12:22 PM.

Truck with a camper shell, ARE brand shell and you want the "Sportsman's" Package that comes with flip up windows on the side and sliding portions with screen in them to vent for the dogs.

Build a box/drawer system or buy one of those fancy plastic jobs to organize your gear.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    yeah, they smell can get bad, suvs.. Then think of dead animals too, kills my suv idea, toting around a trailer hitch for dead deer is just not me. Years ago, like the first model of the 250s change, 99 I think maybe. I had a buddy, fancy guy that bought the first one. I thought they were kinda ugly at first, but they grew on me. Within a couple weeks he had a matching camper shell on it, pre Excursion. He had a bed system laid into it, different kennel systems for his couple retrievers. I kinda fell in love with it, and got the merit. I wish I could get into a shell, but the need of a bed is greater.

I had a 77 bronco sport, the last small model.. I threw a dead deer on it's tailgate once, left it down, closed the hard shell back. The blood was able to jump, halfway through town I looked down and the blood had run from the tailgate up under the font bucket seats. It was putrid for a little bit, most of it was dried before I could really get a handle on it.

Yeah that guy I mentioned drove an Excursion not an Expedition. Those Excursions are badass dog-toting rigs, but again the smell factor...

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    Always a truck. I have an Owens two compartment box with top storage. If I need a spot for a third, I put a Ruffland in front of the aluminum box. Last fall I bought a Softopper and it worked out great on our trip to Maine. My truck bed is 6.5’. That is plenty most of the time but an 8’ bed would be great on weeklong trips. Years ago I pondered the SUV vs truck question. Once your dogs have an encounter with a skunk, you’ll be thankful for the truck. Hunt long enough and it will happen. The first time was a January hunt in NC for grouse. The second was a December hunt in Kansas with 6” of snow on the ground.

Roger that...the road trip solution is getting clearer!