Thread: 2003 F-250 Powerstroke vibration

Default 2003 F-250 Powerstroke vibration

Finally got around to getting my first diesel a few months back. I bought it off of a family member who took great care of it. Everything is bone stock and has been very well maintained but i believe some front end components need to be replaced. My two front tires are wearing faster on the inside than the outside. I have never had a straight axle suspension before so I wanted to see if anyone knew off hand what to check for first. I have noticed at 80-83mph the truck vibrates, not bad but i can feel it. Any faster or slower it goes away but it does not like sitting there. Something is off. Any of yall know where to start? Grew up on a IFS suspension on my Silverado's but have no knowledge of a Solid axle. Thanks

I would start with getting an alignment and get the tires balanced
    "If its better than cold beer and hot pussy it'll probably kill us all" ~ Rebel Son

Why do we need to go 80mph+ in an 8,000lb truck again?

Camber on a straight axle usually points to worn king pins/ball joints. In your case, ball joints.

There are alignment shims that can be used, but I suspect a good front axle tune up will solve that problem.

Vibration could be many things. Tire imbalance, worn steering components, failing stabilizer, etc.

It's pretty easy to troubleshoot. Once you get her fixed up, take it for an alignment and tire balance. Or, just call KRT and drop it off.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    call KRT and drop it off.
    This^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

If it's an 03 i would go ahead and rebuild that front end. New ball joints, suspension bushings, shocks, tie rod ends and sway bar links/bushings. Get an alignment afterwards and ride on. I can't remember the year they went from leaf springs to radius arm coil suspension, but if its leaf springs I would take a good look at them as well. You can pull them out an press in new bushings. Just don't reuse the old U bolts when you put it back together.
    Last edited by Fireman; 03-06-2023 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobieMcDoobie View Post
    He might get on one of those things called an interstate

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobieMcDoobie View Post
    Have you ever been on I-26 before ? 80mph in the slow lane bud. Anything less and you'll get run over.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    Camber on a straight axle usually points to worn king pins/ball joints. In your case, ball joints.

There are alignment shims that can be used, but I suspect a good front axle tune up will solve that problem.

Vibration could be many things. Tire imbalance, worn steering components, failing stabilizer, etc.

It's pretty easy to troubleshoot. Once you get her fixed up, take it for an alignment and tire balance. Or, just call KRT and drop it off.
    Preciate it. Im pretty handy but have never messed with the straight axle before.