Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need to locate buried pvc water line

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Two pieces of copper wire work. I’m not great at it but it’s worked for me occasionally.

Always install a trace wire with pvc pipe. Simple small gauge wire like an underground dog fence wire or metallic caution tape.

Option 2 is dig up line and push fish tape through it. Mark line in that fashion.
    Please explain how the two pieces of copper wire work to find buried pvc ( I assume) pipe with water? I’m not saying it can’t work, just have no understanding how scientifically this would work.

It is my limited understanding that the marking companies find plastic water and gas lines by the metal “trace” wires that are buried with the plastic lines. I do not know this to be true, this is my assumption.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I doubt they used a metal based marking tape if your line is 40 years old. Try the copper wires. Works best if you put them in drink bottles to keep the resistance off of them from squeezing them too tight. Also works with wild fruit tree forked branches.

Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I’ve always been told the currents passing through that pipe or wire make the wishbone or divining rods move. Very small vibrations that are just amplified.

I have no visible water outside or under house. Went by CPW yesterday and asked for a check on the meter, they said they "will look into it". As best we can tell the pipe runs under the drive for 50-60 feet from meter and then takes a 45 which points it north of the house unless there is another turn back to the house. I will gladly pay a locator to mark, but so far our CPW says they do not mark line from meter box to house. Contractor and plumber coming back today so maybe have ideas this evening. At 19,000 gallons for over 3 months I would expect to have a nice duck pond.

Heck tell contractor and plumber to put in new line from meter to your house that way you'll know exactly where your water line is for future reference.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Our usage was considerably high last summer. Went from like 17,000-22,000 gallons a month within a 3 month time period. We had no leaks anywhere that I could find. They came out and replaced the meter and it dropped it back substantially. Could be your meter

I sure hope it is the meter.

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    Our usage was considerably high last summer. Went from like 17,000-22,000 gallons a month within a 3 month time period. We had no leaks anywhere that I could find. They came out and replaced the meter and it dropped it back substantially. Could be your meter
    Did they reimburse you for the overage?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Stant I have contact for private locator. He is in Augusta ga area. Not sure if his coverage area but damn good guy and knows his shit. I had him mark a residence for me end of last year. These private locators are expensive but I consider it to be will worth it in your situation.

Shoot me a pm with your number and I will be glad to share his contact in info with you. Again not sure if you are in his area but maybe he can refer you to someone that is.

I've been in utility engineering and construction for nearly 20 years. Divining rods may have a tad bit of science to locate 19,000 gallons in a pool, but to locate your 3/4" line in your backyard is witch craft.

The best approach is to dig behind the meter and cut your service. Get a cheap pressure gauge, valve, and air compressor fitting and pressure test your line.

If you pump up to 20-30 lb and it holds for a few minutes, you have zero leaks. That will indicate a bad meter. If it won't build pressure at all, you have a break and would be seeing it.
    If it is a slow leak down, (probably your case) its much harder to locate. I would stick a 100' fish tape in your line you cut and push it out 100', dig it up and repeat until you can isolate. You can pressure test each section as you go.

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post
    I've been in utility engineering and construction for nearly 20 years. Divining rods may have a tad bit of science to locate 19,000 gallons in a pool, but to locate your 3/4" line in your backyard is witch craft.

The best approach is to dig behind the meter and cut your service. Get a cheap pressure gauge, valve, and air compressor fitting and pressure test your line.

If you pump up to 20-30 lb and it holds for a few minutes, you have zero leaks. That will indicate a bad meter. If it won't build pressure at all, you have a break and would be seeing it.
    If it is a slow leak down, (probably your case) its much harder to locate. I would stick a 100' fish tape in your line you cut and push it out 100', dig it up and repeat until you can isolate. You can pressure test each section as you go.
    Close thread.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Rods can only be done by certain people. I for one have no skill at it.

But I have seen it work more times than I can count on my two hands by multiple people. It works.

Have your wife buy a 10 gallon tree to plant….you’ll find it first try

Check your toilets to make sure they aren't slow leaking on you. Drop about five drops of red or blue food coloring in the tank of each toilet. Come back in about ten minutes and of the bowl has colored water then you've got a leaking toilet.
    My guess is a bad meter.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Tried the toilet trick, no color after 1 day. CPW says they will change meter. So that should tell the tale. Hoping to contact a private locator that will work around Laurens.
    Sleepy, sure you are correct. But with line under drive if I can trace it to the house I will cap the existing line and run a new one, just do not to back-feed a leak.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Did they reimburse you for the overage?
    No sir. Never heard a word from them. I was just glad our water bill was t pushing $300 anymore

I didn’t read all this shit so take that, and this this, for what it’s worth: I’m willing to bet there is a shutoff valve outside, but very near, your house. Get a metal detector and find. Then shut it. Then turn the meter back on. If it’s still showing usage then the leak is in the line to the house (which we all know it is if the crawl space is dry) or there is no leak and your meter is a POS.

I did read all of this unfortunately. You can try hammering your line. Turn on the hose closest to the meter then quickly turn your water on and off at the meter. Have someone walk around near the house and you should find it. If not, leak detection is your best bet. Or hire a plumber worth a damn and ask them to find it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by lil 2 sleepy View Post

I'm with big Brother.
    Close it.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot