Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need to locate buried pvc water line

Quote Originally Posted by Jtemp71 View Post
    They won’t mark anything beyond the meter that is customer owned. Get you to 2 separate pieces of copper wire and make them into the shape of an L. Hold the short in and both hands very loosely and walk a long the path beyond the meter. The 2 copper will cross each other when over the line. Also you’ll have to have the water turned back on to this
    I've tried that. It didnt work. I dont think I was holding my mouth right as the wind blew in from the east.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

That said, dig around your meter. You'll find your water line. It'll go straight. Never seen one curve. Start digging.

If that for some reason doesnt work...the copper wire will work but cut your water pipe and thread your copper wire in the water pipe then use a metal detector to find your water line.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Has your water pressure inside the house dropped when you shower or turn on the sink?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

A lot of plumbers will run the supply line next to the drain line where it leaves the crawl space foundation.

If you have copper supply lines in the house, most of the time the leak is either at the meter or where the PVC line from the meter transitions to copper just outside your foundation.

You are in Laurens? Shoot me a PM
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

19000 gallons is a ton of water. If you still have good water pressure in the house I would start looking at toilets. A leaking toilet can go through some water. Just a thought.

Another option is to hire a private locating service that has a GPR.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtemp71 View Post
    They won’t mark anything beyond the meter that is customer owned. Get you to 2 separate pieces of copper wire and make them into the shape of an L. Hold the short in and both hands very loosely and walk a long the path beyond the meter. The 2 copper will cross each other when over the line. Also you’ll have to have the water turned back on to this
    Yep on the locators stopping at meter. Been hell getting them to mark their own Utility. Should only need one piece of copper in the L. Our new location can put you on it with one pieces of copper. I’ve always used 2 but he showed me you only needed one. Said it’s more precise. He’s been locating close to 40 years.

I’m saying you got a bad meter. 19k gallons would be a damn pond in your yard.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    I’m saying you got a bad meter. 19k gallons would be a damn pond in your yard.
    That's what I'm thinking.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    That said, dig around your meter. You'll find your water line. It'll go straight. Never seen one curve. Start digging.

If that for some reason doesnt work...the copper wire will work but cut your water pipe and thread your copper wire in the water pipe then use a metal detector to find your water line.
    I'm with you!

I've always wondered about those sticks things I've seen an older plumber I know use them, but I dint find them highly accurate and the second time he had been there when the pipes were laid, So I chalked it up to him knowing were the lines were.

Cool parlor trick, and maybe it does work, but I'm with BB!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    I'm with you!

I've always wondered about those sticks things I've seen an older plumber I know use them, but I dint find them highly accurate and the second time he had been there when the pipes were laid, So I chalked it up to him knowing were the lines were.

Cool parlor trick, and maybe it does work, but I'm with BB!
    It works!

Watched my Dad do it many times over the years to find drain lines. Had it happen again last week and used two pieces of wire to find the line. I can't do it myself but I have seen it work.

Ok, fair enough. There are other members whom swear by this voodoo.

I just have a hard time with it based off what I said. But I know others who swear by it....if it works keep doing it.

I suspect at 19k gallons one simple wooden stick would be enough, and that would be used to point to the fire hydrant coming out of the ground!

Take that corn dumped in sparkleberry swamp recloate some to this yard, and I bet we have a heck of an opening day of duck season at this guys house!
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Is there a Spigot on the outside of the house, closest to the Water Meter. Start at that Spigot and walk a straight line to the Meter Box. 90%+ that is where your line is. Possible if you have a Brick/Block Foundation a creative person put that pipe to the Spigot in the Blocks. Plumber(No Offense to anyone on here) always take the path of least resistance. That Spigot will be the first connection they make to the house. Especially a 40 year old house.

They REALLY WORK............Make mine out of metal clothes hangers.

Please explain the science to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Check the meter. 19k gallons is swimming pool type volume
    Last edited by TheVisorGuy; 02-28-2023 at 08:59 PM.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I've traced our lawn irrigation pipes all over the yard with a 3/8" tee shaped probe but they're only about 8" deep and the soil is pretty much beach sand after the first few inches of dirt.

It does sound reasonable to suspect the meter. Could you cut and cap the pipe right out of the meter and see if it still thinks water is flowing? My service has a valve just on the house side of the meter.

Two pieces of copper wire work. I’m not great at it but it’s worked for me occasionally.

Always install a trace wire with pvc pipe. Simple small gauge wire like an underground dog fence wire or metallic caution tape.

Option 2 is dig up line and push fish tape through it. Mark line in that fashion.

Disconnect your water at meter box. Run fish tape inside your pvc line then you can locate the fish tape which in turn will locate your line.
    For nothing will be impossible with CHRIST Luke 1:37