Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chainsaw won't run right.

Fixin to say Valve's. Must be all that cockluv on you mind.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Stuck ring could indeed be the issue. This thing has run well before but just got boggy. I looked at part of the cylinder wall with a bore camera and it doesn't looked bad. I have it soaking in Seafoam now. I also have a Chinese replacement cylinder, piston, crank and case assembly on the way. I'd rather keep the original parts but the entire block assembly was $40.

OK. Damn near everything has been replaced including the carb, case, crank, cylinder and piston. Gas and chain bar oil tanks have been thoroughly cleaned and all hoses/tubes have been replaced. About the only stuff original is the housing and coil. Still wouldn't do anything but start, rev up and bog. I decided to bring my other MS170 home and start swapping out parts until I found what made a difference.

When I pulled the carb off the working saw, it fought me because the carb was stuck to the rubber intake manifold. The bad saw carb (new EOM) worked fine on the good saw. There was a carb gasket on the bad saw but not on the good one. I looked closer and realized the gasket was blocking a small hole from the carb that is underneath the intake port into the cylinder. That was probably the problem all along. The replacement carb that I originally bought came with the gasket so I installed it, even though the saw didn't have one when I got it (it was given to me used). After removing the gasket completely, the saw runs fine.

It wasn't compression. My good saw only has around 80 psi and that was what I was getting on the old saw before I replaced the whole block and head, which also get about 80 psi. At least I now own a compression gauge.

I still need to finish my dissertation but I'm really close to having my PHD in Stihl MS170 chainsaws.
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 03-13-2023 at 05:42 PM.

Haha congrats. I’m sure you at least feel very satisfied having finally found and fixed the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

2 weeks ain’t a bad turnaround.

congrats on the dedication, mine would be at the shop.
    Windows Down!

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. I know 2-stroke engine's. They can make you really upset.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Darn fine job. I’m impressed with your tenacity and deductive skills.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I respect the persistence

i cant wait to bring you my 170 and let you mess with it...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Carbon buildup in the muffler, muffler screen
    This and also in the intake. Gotta use good oil
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Good work PB. Next time I'm in charleston, can I drop mine off at your shop?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton