Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bow talk

Default Bow talk

So I have been out of bow hunting for a few years now. With my recent purchase of a certain orange stringed bow figured I would start up a discussion. I was shooting an old Parker with about a 450 grain set up bemen shafts and grim reaper fix broadheads. So curious I have heard a lot of talk of heavy set ups and Glen said he was throwing 650 grain with the Hoyt 35 Alphamax. So will mainly be used for deer but will be my go to out of state set up. With the possibly of a new job I’ll be able I get out and hunt during that time of year.
    So what’s the latest with the arrows and broadheads.

Thanks for any of the advice and will be sticking with a HHA single pin and a drop away rest. Thing pulls back like a dream compared to the old school Parker I had.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

You’ll get a lot of opinions on arrow weight, and there is merit to most of them. Since you’re using a single pin shoot the heaviest arrow you can with a trajectory you are satisfied with. I like to be total arrow between 490-515.

Arrows: lots of good brands. Buy them a spine stiffer than whatever is recommended on the bow and add a heavier insert. Buy .001 straight, square the ends after cutting, and don’t use anything with aluminum in the insert. I like AAE max stealth vanes. Gold tip has a weight and FOC calculator on their website where you can enter your data and see what the finished product will weight before you build it.

Broadhead: the QAD exodus swept is the best out there for the money. Iron will if you’re looking to spend a little tax money.

My current arrow is a victory rip TKO .250. 50gn hit insert from iron will. 25gn collar from iron will. 3 max stealths on a hard left helical with 125gn heads and AAE ip5 nocks. TAW: 490gn @ 15% FOC. They fly well.

How you build your arrows matter more than the brand.

In my opinion wiz18 nailed it. I was at 550 and don’t like the trajectory. But I don’t have ape arms either. I backed up to the 440 and I am satisfied.

However, just to throw another set up at you. I’m running Sirius Apollo’s with bohning x vanes. I have been pleased. I will say this, I think the .204 arrow diameter is by far my favorite.

I bought in to the hype and bought iron wills. To be honest I love the way they perform in the air and flesh but it’s not necessary to spend that much by any means. Plenty of good heads out there that will get the job done if you give them the best playing conditions.

I Also will add that if you are looking for a custom arrow and don’t have the tools, there are plenty of companies out there that will build you a custom arrow.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 02-26-2023 at 08:33 PM.

If you’re shooting 30 yards or less then go with whatever makes you happy because light and fast or heavy and slow will do the job. My opinion a 6-700 grain arrow is ridiculous and at 240 fps won’t out penetrate a 450 grain arrow at 280 fps
    80-20 Genaration

Wiz nailed it in my opinion.

I’ve shot arrows anywhere from 400 grains up to 650 grains the last few years. My current set up is an Easton Axis 340 spine with 50 grain brass inserts, 25 grain iron will collar and 125 grain iron will wide broadhead. They weigh right at 520 grains and tune perfectly out of my 65 pound Mathews VXR 31.5. I’ve killed around 20 or so deer with that setup and have been pleased. It shoots flat enough for hunting out west and I’ve had no problem passing through heavy bone with it.

I just went through this last fall getting ready for my elk hunt for 2023. Started out with some 650gr arrows and didn't like the trajectory. Ended up with RIP TKO V1 250's with 75gr inserts. I think they are right at 500gr with 125gr points. Pulling 75lbs I'm approx 290 FPS.

This is the first time I've shot bows since the late 80's-mid 90's, these new bows and arrow set ups are like cheating.....

PS, I have (6) new Grizzly Stix 650's you're welcome to try.
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 02-27-2023 at 07:12 AM.

What’s your draw length?
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Go to Lowe's and buy a dozen 8' long 4" diameter round fence post.

Double edge axe heads on the front. Tie three dead chickens to the back.

Go do work.

Anything under 650 grains is a woman's arrow and needs pink quick fletch blazers on it.

In the 400's and you may as well shoot a crossbow.

The heavy arrow stuff has been around ever since Fred Bear and Dr. Ashby, however the heavy arrow fad as we know it today was made popular largely by a guy on YouTube that goes by the name of RanchFairy. Who knows why, but his videos just caught on and boom.

Back whenever I used to shoot almost daily I tried heavy, medium, and light weight arrows. I tried brass inserts, weight tubes, etc. At the end of the day I like using the 50gr brass inserts with 125gr heads and a total arrow weight of around 420gr. I too have T-Rex arms so my DL is only 27.5’’.

My favorite arrows used to be the Beman ICS Hunters in 340 spine. Now a days, even though I have more expensive arrows, I mainly just go to Wal-Mart at the end of the season and buy a dozen of whatever the most expensive arrow they have of course whenever they are marked down 75%. I think most of them end up being the Carbon Express Terminators. I started doing this whenever I hog hunted a lot because 99% of the time every hog you shoot is going to break the arrow. Since they fly well and are pretty durable I just keep using them for deer. I have been wanting to try some of the BlackEagle Spartans which are a smaller dia. arrow that still uses regular size inserts. I like that a lot better than having to use outserts and such. I do “disagree” with WIZ on buying .001 arrows. In the hunting world they just aren’t necessary. Also, take BlackEagle for example, most of their arrows no matter the number on the box will measure .001 or close to it. In reality you are splitting hairs in comparing a .001 to a .003 shaft in the hunting world.

As for broadheads, it’s hard to find a bad head these days. Even some of the cheap China knockoffs from Ebay and Amazon are good heads. Go find LUSK ARCHERY ADVENTURES on YouTube. He tests and tries to destroy just about every broadhead on the market. If you are looking for some of the best penetrating heads (and his tests confirm) look at the SlickTrick standards, QAD Exodous, Grim Reaper Micro Hades, etc.

While it’s fun to discuss/bicker over I don’t think arrow weight and broadhead selection matter a whole lot if you’re talking about killing WTBD in the Carolina’s. Their chest cavity is like 1’ wide and you’re likely shooting a 70# compound making 90+ pounds of KE. Just my opinion after watching truckloads get arrows ran through em.

Build/buy arrows for accuracy first and foremost. If you clip the top of the heart and both lungs any and everything seems to work out just fine. 14-15% front of center is a good cut off point where you’re getting excellent arrow flight and not have your arrow too heavy. You can search brands online, check out the specs, then plug the weights into the calculator on gold tip’s website to see where you fall before you decide on a brand.

If you don’t want to build your own arrows (I’d recommend building your own) there are companies like adams archery that will build them for you. His work is high quality.

I don’t nerd out about brand of shafts. Several companies (easton, black eagle, victory, etc) all make a top quality shaft. But pay attention to components. They aren’t all the same. I know $100 for inserts and collars seems obnoxious, but it’s money well spent imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    I just went through this last fall getting ready for my elk hunt for 2023. Started out with some 650gr arrows and didn't like the trajectory. Ended up with RIP TKO V1 250's with 75gr inserts. I think they are right at 500gr with 125gr points. Pulling 75lbs I'm approx 290 FPS.

This is the first time I've shot bows since the late 80's-mid 90's, these new bows and arrow set ups are like cheating.....

PS, I have (6) new Grizzly Stix 650's you're welcome to try.
    Check with Tater. He may want 'em. Or Tot.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    The heavy arrow stuff has been around ever since Fred Bear and Dr. Ashby, however the heavy arrow fad as we know it today was made popular largely by a guy on YouTube that goes by the name of RanchFairy. Who knows why, but his videos just caught on and boom.

Back whenever I used to shoot almost daily I tried heavy, medium, and light weight arrows. I tried brass inserts, weight tubes, etc. At the end of the day I like using the 50gr brass inserts with 125gr heads and a total arrow weight of around 420gr. I too have T-Rex arms so my DL is only 27.5’’.

My favorite arrows used to be the Beman ICS Hunters in 340 spine. Now a days, even though I have more expensive arrows, I mainly just go to Wal-Mart at the end of the season and buy a dozen of whatever the most expensive arrow they have of course whenever they are marked down 75%. I think most of them end up being the Carbon Express Terminators. I started doing this whenever I hog hunted a lot because 99% of the time every hog you shoot is going to break the arrow. Since they fly well and are pretty durable I just keep using them for deer. I have been wanting to try some of the BlackEagle Spartans which are a smaller dia. arrow that still uses regular size inserts. I like that a lot better than having to use outserts and such. I do “disagree” with WIZ on buying .001 arrows. In the hunting world they just aren’t necessary. Also, take BlackEagle for example, most of their arrows no matter the number on the box will measure .001 or close to it. In reality you are splitting hairs in comparing a .001 to a .003 shaft in the hunting world.

As for broadheads, it’s hard to find a bad head these days. Even some of the cheap China knockoffs from Ebay and Amazon are good heads. Go find LUSK ARCHERY ADVENTURES on YouTube. He tests and tries to destroy just about every broadhead on the market. If you are looking for some of the best penetrating heads (and his tests confirm) look at the SlickTrick standards, QAD Exodous, Grim Reaper Micro Hades, etc.
    You don’t think buying a straighter arrow matters? Wobble is a pretty big deal if you’re shooting a big fixed head. Even on .001 arrows I’ll spin them and cut the front, back, or both depending on how the arrow runs out.

And Spartans are a bastard of a size that they make next to zero components for. And they use a nock bushing, which love or hate adds weight to the wrong end of the arrow. I do like the stainless insert BE offers for the spartan, and you can add fact weight to increase the weight of the insert. I like hits and collars better, but I get the appeal to one insert.

And while we’re talking about black eagle, I built a dozen X-impacts for a friend a few weeks ago. Out of the package 5 of them had an awful wobble on the insert end. I emailed black eagle with a video on my spinner and they shipped a fresh dozen for free. So always spin your arrows out of the pack. They are still a mass produced item.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    While it’s fun to discuss/bicker over I don’t think arrow weight and broadhead selection matter a whole lot if you’re talking about killing WTBD in the Carolina’s. Their chest cavity is like 1’ wide and you’re likely shooting a 70# compound making 90+ pounds of KE. Just my opinion after watching truckloads get arrows ran through em.

Build/buy arrows for accuracy first and foremost. If you clip the top of the heart and both lungs any and everything seems to work out just fine. 14-15% front of center is a good cut off point where you’re getting excellent arrow flight and not have your arrow too heavy. You can search brands online, check out the specs, then plug the weights into the calculator on gold tip’s website to see where you fall before you decide on a brand.

If you don’t want to build your own arrows (I’d recommend building your own) there are companies like adams archery that will build them for you. His work is high quality.

I don’t nerd out about brand of shafts. Several companies (easton, black eagle, victory, etc) all make a top quality shaft. But pay attention to components. They aren’t all the same. I know $100 for inserts and collars seems obnoxious, but it’s money well spent imo.
    I agree. I can only think of one deer that I didn't get a complete pass through on and it was honestly a shot that I should have never tried in the first place. I try my best to take shots that are 30 yards and closer and good behind the shoulder broadside or quartering away. Its rare that my arrow isn't buried into the ground after it passes through the deer.

I did shoot a big 200lb boar one time and it lived. Another member killed it about a month later and said that the SlickTrick stopped about an inch from the pig's heart. I honestly think that if he pig wouldn't have been standing almost under me I would have gotten enough penetration.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Go to Lowe's and buy a dozen 8' long 4" diameter round fence post.

Double edge axe heads on the front. Tie three dead chickens to the back.

Go do work.

Anything under 650 grains is a woman's arrow and needs pink quick fletch blazers on it.

In the 400's and you may as well shoot a crossbow.
    Since you mentioned crossbow, are you putting turkey feather vanes on Cayce's bolts? Just curious....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Since you mentioned crossbow, are you putting turkey feather vanes on Cayce's bolts? Just curious....
    Can't shoot feathers on those contraptions. Another reason to avoid those nasty things.

In hunting situations that most of us will face here in SC, no I do not think that a .001 is required. The most accurate arrows I've ever shot (I mean accuracy on a consistent basis) were CarbonTech. On average were they more accurate than the cheap Terminators that I buy from Wal-mart? Yes, they were. Were the Terminators so far off that I'd miss/wound an animal? No. If they were I wouldn’t hunt with them.

I am not brand loyal. I’ve owned BlackEagle, CarbonTech, Easton, GoldTip, Victory, PSE, Beman, Carbon Express, and a few others. However, for straightness out of the box look up the ArcheryShack's video on BlackEagle arrows. Their experience mirrors many others that I've seen. Everything else that you mentioned about the Spartans is just personal preference. The selling point to me is that they are a little smaller arrow WITHOUT having to worry about using an outsert or smaller inserts. So I am attracted to them for the very reasons that you are not.

A lot of us that are really big into archery tend to over think and make things way too complicated. Like years ago whenever I shot all the time I was telling some people that I can tell a difference in accuracy by different styles of nocks and by rotating them different ways. They all laughed at me. Fast forward to today and nock tuning is a very popular thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Can't shoot feathers on those contraptions. Another reason to avoid those nasty things.
    Lmao
    80-20 Genaration

i stand with duckman on this one. i dont think any of it matters like it used to. this aint your granddad's recurve.

all carbon arrows are straight and you can have inserts and all that and weigh your shit like you have a small penis and it still still go pretty straight.

but dont take advice from me bc I dont tune my bow or practice...
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i stand with duckman on this one. i dont think any of it matters like it used to. this aint your granddad's recurve.

all carbon arrows are straight and you can have inserts and all that and weigh your shit like you have a small penis and it still still go pretty straight.

but dont take advice from me bc I dont tune my bow or practice...
    I agree hence my statement about us making things way too complicated.