Thread: Kansas looking at limiting non residents on WMA

Default Kansas looking at limiting non residents on WMA

Not sure if it includes WIHA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

good.

youtubers killed it
    Windows Down!

Selfishly I hope this passes. I have good friend with a square mile of the most beautiful WTBD habitat I’ve stepped foot on. His family looks forward to us coming out to hunt their land and hang out. I find it absurd he owns his land free and clear and he can’t let his friends come hunt every 3rd year because we are in the same application pool as the fellas trying to public land hustle. I get why KWPT doesn’t do landowner tags, but I’d love to see a separate pool for public and private tags.

And I’m pretty sure this is a phase that’ll pass. I think enough of that crowd has realized spending $600+ on an OOS tag doesn’t mean there aren’t 4 trucks at the walk in gate before you. It was pretty bad this year according to my friends out there.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Selfishly I hope this passes. I have good friend with a square mile of the most beautiful WTBD habitat I’ve stepped foot on. His family looks forward to us coming out to hunt their land and hang out. I find it absurd he owns his land free and clear and he can’t let his friends come hunt every 3rd year because we are in the same application pool as the fellas trying to public land hustle. I get why KWPT doesn’t do landowner tags, but I’d love to see a separate pool for public and private tags.

And I’m pretty sure this is a phase that’ll pass. I think enough of that crowd has realized spending $600+ on an OOS tag doesn’t mean there aren’t 4 trucks at the walk in gate before you. It was pretty bad this year according to my friends out there.
    I could be wrong but I’m thinking this is waterfowl ?
    80-20 Genaration

You’re going to see this everywhere. Residents are tired of their state pimping the wildlife out. Colorado OTC elk is heading the same way. ON X and the like have made the need to read a map and compass a thing of the past. You tube tells you how to apply and where to go. Too many people with too much time and too much money.

A recent episode of Heartland Bowhunter featured a public hunt in Iowa. That can only increase pressure for local public hunters.

Iowa really restricts its nonresident hunters. I used to be able to hunt every other year, now its every 4-5.

I love when locals get mad about OOSers in their state hunting. I asked a group of knuckle draggers In Arkansas if they had ever been to the beach. When they said yes I replied with “I hear the beaches in Arkansas are nice”.

Don’t get mad at us coming to kill your deer/ducks/turkeys when you bring your socks and sandals family to our beaches.

Kinda when us spartanburg boys would show up in Sparkleberry. Them scumpter boys took exception. It all worked out when we finally got in their system and we killed hell out wild mallards back then
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    I love when locals get mad about OOSers in their state hunting. I asked a group of knuckle draggers In Arkansas if they had ever been to the beach. When they said yes I replied with “I hear the beaches in Arkansas are nice”.

Don’t get mad at us coming to kill your deer/ducks/turkeys when you bring your socks and sandals family to our beaches.
    Meh, that ain’t a great comparison.

I could write a paragraph explaining, but honestly if you don’t know, I’m not sure it would do much good.

Family of 6 wallowing on the beach for a week aint the same as 6 SC mudmotoring every duck hole in the state for 10 days.

Also, I’d imagine most midwesterners vacation on the Gulf.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Yep. Perhaps the dumbest analogy we have seen on this 25 year long OOS rant...

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post

I could write a paragraph explaining, but honestly if you don’t know, I’m not sure it would do much good.

Family of 6 wallowing on the beach for a week aint the same as 6 SC mudmotoring every duck hole in the state for 10 days.

Also, I’d imagine most midwesterners vacation on the Gulf.
    I got in an argument with guys on an Arkansas duck hunting page about this. It isn’t the same thing if they come sit on the beach but when they come catch as many fish as they can to take home, then it becomes the same thing. Or the fact that everyone here travels somewhere else to hunt turkeys, and quite a few go to SC. The locals are more of a problem here than the out-of-state crowd. I hunted with more people from out-of-state than locals this year and the oosers were far more respectful and polite than the majority of the locals I dealt with. The tree topping, stuck on every mud flat, riding non stop from 4 am to 1 doesn’t stop when OOS hunters can’t hunt the WMAs. Also, that is Arkansas’ biggest tourist revenue and a large part of the economy so in essence it is the same thing. Just as many people here go to Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or Hilton Head on vacation as they do the gulf coast. Probably 50-50.

Now, Kansas is a different story. Out-of-state hunters have changed everything for them on deer, ducks, and turkeys, especially the turkeys. They are going to have to make changes to reduce pressure or they won’t even have the resources for locals to enjoy. The wildlife across much of Kansas can’t handle that amount of pressure on a continual basis. I’m all for seeing Kansas limit oos pressure on ducks and turkeys. Maybe then it’ll keep all the people from Arkansas going over there and raping the resource. Kansas needs to hire more game wardens to enforce laws already in place as well.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    Also, that is Arkansas’ biggest tourist revenue and a large part of the economy so in essence it is the same thing. Just as many people here go to Myrtle Beach, Charleston, or Hilton Head on vacation as they do the gulf coast. Probably 50-50.
    Thats because they went and killed Barry Seal, and Mena went from the number one tourist destination & revenue maker to last in the matter of months. Arkansas never did recover that part of their economy fully after that. Bill did all he could, but it wasnt ever quite the same.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Kansas and Oklahoma is the duck promised-land.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Pew, that's nothing. SC is limiting residents from using WMAs...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

I live in Kansas right now. Work is crazy and I only hunted a handful of times this year on public land for waterfowl (maybe 5). The amount of pressure on public land in this state is absolutely insane, and I didn't even hunt some of the best-known locations (like Cheyenne Bottoms).

Out of all of the midwestern/central states I've hunted, Kansas has had the most pressure on public land. Makes me think I may want to drive a bit further next year.

Northern Missouri was also crazy packed.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Kansas and Oklahoma is the duck promised-land.
    Aint nothin in OK but wind, weed, and mediocre football!
    Last edited by abarill; 03-01-2023 at 08:19 AM.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

This is a supply and demand issue. They need to raise prices to the point where the pressure is sustainable. And before anyone gets all mad about having to pay say $5,000 to get an OOS license, remember its a free country and you don't have to buy it