Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trophy Hunt Club

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Trophy has no definition because it means different things to different people.

Antler restrictions are definable. Outside the ears, count to 8, shoot. Congrats on your high grade 2 year old but don't shoot the 140" narrow six point with 5" bases that's 7 1/2. Dumb.

Age restrictions meet somewhere in the middle. Easier to define than trophy. Harder judge than ear width and an 8 point rule but lets you see what a gollywhopper of a 6 will do with time.

As for me and my house?

All those rules can change in the time from a morning sit to an afternoon. Which is why I hunt alone most of the time. Too much pressure trying to follow subjective ever changing rules. Plus deer taste good and should be et and et often.
    I agree on trophy meaning to different people. I also agree on 140 class narrow 6 point. I would hope you surround yourself with people that can tell that. However I’m smart enough to know your average managed club does not have the members that can differentiate. Some antler restrictions are better than nothing in my opinion.
    Last edited by KRT; 02-27-2023 at 10:24 PM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Correct. It was the case under the former manager, but he is no longer there
    Just to be clear, I was confirming what you were saying, not trying to contradict you.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    I agree on trophy meaning to different people. I also agree on 140 class narrow 6 point. I would hope you surround yourself with people that can tell that. However I’m smart enough to know your average managed club does not have the members that can differentiate. Some antler restriction is better than nothing in my opinion.
    It depends on how many cold beers in you are. Them basket racks start looking pretty good
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

And I agree on the big clubs. Been there, done that and got ostracized as a young teen for shooting “subpar” deer. Meanwhile the presidents grown children had free range to shoot whatever. I get it.

Now I only hunt with my uncle and my best friend. You shoot a small buck the only penalty is getting criticized the rest of your life.

It was fun and a lot cheaper hunting the drainages and smz’s below someone else’s stand that they kept corned up all season.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Trophy has no definition because it means different things to different people.

Antler restrictions are definable. Outside the ears, count to 8, shoot. Congrats on your high grade 2 year old but don't shoot the 140" narrow six point with 5" bases that's 7 1/2. Dumb.

Age restrictions meet somewhere in the middle. Easier to define than trophy. Harder judge than ear width and an 8 point rule but lets you see what a gollywhopper of a 6 will do with time.

As for me and my house?

All those rules can change in the time from a morning sit to an afternoon. Which is why I hunt alone most of the time. Too much pressure trying to follow subjective ever changing rules. Plus deer taste good and should be et and et often.

“The value of any trophy from the field depends not on its size, but on the magnitude of the effort expended in its pursuit." - Aldo Leopold
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 02-27-2023 at 10:32 PM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Most of the deer shot on our place are by kids. We have 3 partners, so it’s pretty easy to agree. Basically the next one you shoot should be bigger than the last one (for kids and inexperienced). The main rule is, once the deer is dead, he is dead. There’s no criticism, and lots of celebration. The lowest SOB on the planet is the club guy who looks at the basket 8 on the skinning shed floor and says “I passed him 4 times last week” in front of the proud killer.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

"shoot what makes you happy"

that's my rule.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Few things have ruined hunting culture more than trophy hunt clubs. There are few run well enough to be a positive impact on hunting (the ones that are great should be celebrated accordingly). The rest are just a cesspool of pecker measuring and complaining.
    Last edited by Remy; 02-28-2023 at 08:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    "shoot what makes you happy"

that's my rule.
    Exactly. The 4 point I shot with my bow in September had world class tenderloins.....

PS - I've agreed with Turbo and Toof on consecutive days to start this week. Y'all excuse me while I go re-evaluate my life.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I guess I am looking for a “trophy” club because I have never killed what I would consider a big or mature buck. I’ve killed a couple good lookin 3.5 year olds but still searching for the grande.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    I guess I am looking for a “trophy” club because I have never killed what I would consider a big or mature buck. I’ve killed a couple good lookin 3.5 year olds but still searching for the grande.

Until this past season I haven't killed a "nice" buck in years even though I hunt a LOT. I also hunt in an area that probably has 100 deer a square mile. I honestly don't know what the issue is. I kinda think that the area has too many deer and that's why I don't see larger bucks. I have about come to the same conclusion as others, go to the Midwest for the big deer.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post

i would argue there aren't necessarily more on a "trophy" club. I think that's what many are hinting at.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

E61A7B37-64A2-4ED7-AA70-8E31F061D8B5.jpg. You looking at something like this or bigger? Backyard buck
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

There’s no criticism, and lots of celebration. The lowest SOB on the planet is the club guy who looks at the basket 8 on the skinning shed floor and says “I passed him 4 times last week” in front of the proud killer.
    That’s just good clean fun sometimes and you know it. If Pj was guiding Ricky and he shot a Jake by accident you wouldn’t give them hell? Yeah. Right.

Time for him to get a truck ride DrD!

Yeah if you can’t make fun of another grown man for shooting a small buck then you are hunting with the wrong people. Kids are off limits

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    What's the name of that club down around Williamsburg/Clarendon county area that in order for a member to shoot a buck it has to be videoed and all members must agree to it? It may be in a different county?
    I spoke to a member there years ago. Great guy, very open and honest.

Videoing bucks wasn't required. It was encouraged for folks who wanted to learn the characteristics of older bucks so as not to kill a young one; the hunter trying to learn would bring the video to the clubhouse and more experienced guys would help them learn. Their goal was nothing younger than 4.5 or 5.5 years of age. And many of the long term members enjoy videoing but do so voluntarily just for fun and educating others as to what they're seeing.

He said, "the question I ask any prospective guest or prospective member was 'Can you pass on a 120 class two year old buck and hold out for one that's older that maybe won't score as high?" It was a good question, imo.

Most memberships are bought by already existing members just so they have more places to hunt. Almost all new members have been guests previously and had been on a waiting list for some time.
    the cost of membership is really high in comparison to most clubs. But it sounded like a great place to hunt. I'm happy for anybody who's a member there. Power to 'em.
    Last edited by w33kender; 03-30-2023 at 12:41 PM.

The lowest SOB on the planet is the club guy who looks at the basket 8 on the skinning shed floor and says “I passed him 4 times last week” in front of the proud killer.
    I love the guy who has more time to hunt and yet never seems any happier for his efforts.

Restraint isn't just not shooting a "non-trophy"
    Restraint is also when that decent 6 or 8 walks out, if you are seriously wanting a "trophy" maybe take a breath and don't shoot him.
    I have more than once passed on a "shooter" and had a much better buck come out
    from behind him 20 mins later. The big ones are wiser, and will sit back inside the woodline
    and let those does and other bucks eat for awhile to see if it's safe before they walk out into the plot. Stay past dark.
    Fact
    and I'll shoot the piss outta something if I am in the mood, most the time I pass on does and smaller bucks
    cause it's late and I don't want to mess with cleaning them all night or take them to a processor. all that changes if the
    right one comes along

That’s called discretion…..

Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.