Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trophy Hunt Club

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    Just because I'm bored at the moment (not really)

What is the definition of a trophy club?
    One that attempts to grow mature deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    The ones I’m aware have a common goal of letting whitetail buck deer get to a certain age structure before they get shot. All you need is acres, money and people that will follow the rules. The most successful ones that have been around the longest have large tracts broken into different blocks that the members have to themselves with a 2 buck per year maximum harvest. They kill very nice deer every year, they also don’t let strangers in.
    This sounds right in line with what I am looking for

Boroughs plantation in Statesburg, SC outside Sumter May have an opening

May I ask what you all pay to be on a hunting lease?

We have antler restrictions. I just thought of it as "managed". Just curious.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    The ones I’m aware have a common goal of letting whitetail buck deer get to a certain age structure before they get shot. All you need is acres, money and people that will follow the rules. The most successful ones that have been around the longest have large tracts broken into different blocks that the members have to themselves with a 2 buck per year maximum harvest. They kill very nice deer every year, they also don’t let strangers in.
    What's the name of that club down around Williamsburg/Clarendon county area that in order for a member to shoot a buck it has to be videoed and all members must agree to it? It may be in a different county?

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    What's the name of that club down around Williamsburg/Clarendon county area that in order for a member to shoot a buck it has to be videoed and all members must agree to it? It may be in a different county?
    That’s Oakland, but that is no longer the case. That hasn’t been the case in a good number of years
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    Good grief. I dont have the patience for that nonsense.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Good grief. I dont have the patience for that nonsense.
    Yeah, heck with that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    That’s Oakland, but that is no longer the case. That hasn’t been the case in a good number of years
    That was in fact the case. I had it directly from the (ex)manager there. Silly.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    That was in fact the case. I had it directly from the (ex)manager there. Silly.
    Correct. It was the case under the former manager, but he is no longer there
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Yup. All those guys are on the same page still. Those that don’t have the “patience” for that type of hunting have never experienced that type of hunting. It’s world class.

I understand the premise, but it's not a lack of patience for the process, but I'll be damned if I wait for a bunch of chuckleheads to reach a quorum on a trophy buck before I ventilate him. If I dont know which deer I am shooting from pictures I tend to hold back. The camera has saved a bunch of deer that would have had significant ground shrinkage.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Trophy has no definition because it means different things to different people.

Antler restrictions are definable. Outside the ears, count to 8, shoot. Congrats on your high grade 2 year old but don't shoot the 140" narrow six point with 5" bases that's 7 1/2. Dumb.

Age restrictions meet somewhere in the middle. Easier to define than trophy. Harder judge than ear width and an 8 point rule but lets you see what a gollywhopper of a 6 will do with time.

As for me and my house?

All those rules can change in the time from a morning sit to an afternoon. Which is why I hunt alone most of the time. Too much pressure trying to follow subjective ever changing rules. Plus deer taste good and should be et and et often.

Nothing wrong with restrictions and they only work with people of the same mind in a club. We have both and fairly loose restrictions but if you drag in one still with milk on his lips or a button head prepare to get an ass chaffing for the rest of the season maybe forever. It is what ever you make of it in the end so just find a place you fit in with folks you can get along with and agree on how to hunt the place.
    Last edited by centurian; 02-27-2023 at 04:26 PM.

Glenn if you have a 140” 6 point you should shoot it, hunting alone or otherwise. That’s a “trophy 6”.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    Glenn if you have a 140” 6 point you should shoot it, hunting alone or otherwise. That’s a “trophy 6”.
    They're easier to drag when they're 40" so doubt they'll ever put that extra hunnert on around me.

Kidding.

Sorta.

The best hunting clubs have one member.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    You cannot beat that.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post

Couldn't agree more... I was a member of some huge (5000-15,000 acres) tracts twenty years ago. I kill more and better quality bucks (125-140) every year and have the ability to pass anything I want without the nagging fear that one of the other guys will shoot it because it is 8pts/15" etc... When you have a bunch of smaller tracts (30-200acres), you have the unique ability to manage the most important aspect of bucks - PRESSURE. You never hunt the area unless conditions are perfect and you don't have a bunch of chuckleheads scouting/riding atv's constantly.

Smaller tracts outproduce larger tracts for me.
    Last edited by Sasha and Abby; 02-27-2023 at 05:33 PM.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers