Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki df90 vs Yamaha F90

Default Suzuki df90 vs Yamaha F90

Dads looking to repower his 17 polar skiff.

Prices on Suzuki and Yamaha 90’s are similar with the Zuke being slightly cheaper but only 10 lbs lighter.

What’s the word on the newer zukes? I’m aware of the corrosion on the earlier ones, this still an issue?

Zukes are the saltwater engine of the future.

And for good reason.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

All my buddies who have gotten new rigs in the last three years have all went with Suzuki's. None have had any issues so far.

Had one repower with a Suzuki as well and he has been happy.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    Zukes are the saltwater engine of the future.

And for good reason.
    Why is that? Serious question.

When I had a Suzuki on my flats skiff I fished it almost exclusively in saltwater. My parents live in murray and I would back it down their ramp and run it on the trailer in the ramp for a while. Never had any corrosion issues or any problems at all. Great motor…..maybe not the best top end speed but reliable for sure

Yamaha for service and resale. They hold their value and for good reason. Nobody’s ever said they were going to buy that boat but it has a Yamaha on it……..

What Whackum said, and with that, I have a DF140 I am happy with.

Keep your anodes changed per their maintenance schedule or you wont be happy with the Suzuki.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post

Keep your anodes changed per their maintenance schedule or you wont be happy with the Suzuki.
    This!

Between those options get the Suzuki. Service/parts/resale are fine for Suzuki (no big edge to Yamaha). Suzuki is also easy to work on yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    What Whackum said, and with that, I have a DF140 I am happy with.

Absolutely on the anodes, and keep the black paint waxed a lot because it fades worse than a case tractor….

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    keep the black paint waxed a lot because it fades worse than a case tractor….
    I got a cover for mine since it now resides in the sunshine.

I am missing a couple of bolts for the lower coweling. They backed out and it's hell finding a replacement that's not $10 each.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by wdhigh View Post
    Why is that? Serious question.
    There’s a lot of reasons including price, availability, availability of parts, etc.
    That said, Florida does now, and always has driven the market in all things saltwater boats.
    Sometime around 2015 dealers, techs, and the charter world down there got behind Suzuki and pushed em hard.
    A very large portion of offshore CC boats were repowering at that time down there and the industry guys pushed Suzuki imho just because of pricing and availability.
    Dealers and Techs starting certifying like crazy, and now it’s the number 1 repower engine on the east coast.

Yamaha’s Covid debacle drove the nail in their coffin on this I think.

I bought a 27ft CC during Covid. Twin Yamaha 150s. I’m happy, but wanted 200s.
    The dealer told me “buy the boat as is, because we can’t get the 200s or any engines for that matter for 10 months.”

I’m a Yamaha fan from way back. I don’t wish I had zukes now, but if I choose to repower this boat I would choose em.
    Cheaper and more readily available parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Yamaha for service and resale. They hold their value and for good reason. Nobody’s ever said they were going to buy that boat but it has a Yamaha on it……..
    Not many folks have a quarrel with Yamaha, me included.
    Still a top of the line motor no questions asked.
    But Suzuki saw that around 2015 and decided to try to push em off the top of the hill.

I think it’s apparent the underdog has dethroned them, at least in the repower world.
    Do you disagree?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

There’s a lot of reasons including price, availability, availability of parts, etc.
    That said, Florida does now, and always has driven the market in all things saltwater boats.
    Sometime around 2015 dealers, techs, and the charter world down there got behind Suzuki and pushed em hard.
    A very large portion of offshore CC boats were repowering at that time down there and the industry guys pushed Suzuki imho just because of pricing and availability.
    Dealers and Techs starting certifying like crazy, and now it’s the number 1 repower engine on the east coast.
    Suzuki is kinder to commercial repowers than the other brands.

I’d ask a mechanic your same question and not base a decision on opinions of SCDucks-

Availability is the only reason they have become popular in the last few years

I'm a yamaha guy, but suzuki is making some good motors right now. Depending on price, I'd think hard about the Zuke.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I think it’s apparent the underdog has dethroned them, at least in the repower world.
    Do you disagree?
    I absolutely disagree. The only reason they had the repower market was people are inherently cheap and then during Covid that’s all you could get without waiting 8 months to a year.

Location of dealer should be considered as well for service, warranty, etc.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

What Bugbuster said. Kind of splitting hairs on which is the better motor. I would figure out where I was going to get my service work done and buy whichever they worked on.

Suzuki is the trending leader. I don't think their internals are at the level of long term saltwater use reliability that Yamaha is now but I also don't think they are far from it. I'm speaking 100% saltwater use though, not the weekend warrior that can rinse easily. Freshwater is a no brainer but this is all opinion. I think Yamaha has a tried and true process to critical fail internal parts for saltwater use and they "typically" build appropriately. Suzuki is getting there. But I think the biggest thing is still service. Who services near you...this is a big driver in decisioning for me still.

The interesting thing about a Suzuki, and I used to install them, is in the warranty... If you read the fine print, they state that they are not liable for any corrosion of internal or external parts of the engine caused by use in saltwater while the engine is under warranty. Something to read into and think about. I used to have it circled in red on a manual book and show it to folks who were considering so that they could make an informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    The interesting thing about a Suzuki, and I used to install them, is in the warranty... If you read the fine print, they state that they are not liable for any corrosion of internal or external parts of the engine caused by use in saltwater while the engine is under warranty. Something to read into and think about. I used to have it circled in red on a manual book and show it to folks who were considering so that they could make an informed decision.
    Unless it’s a known defect I doubt any manufacturer is covering corrosion/lack of care warranty claims.