Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Over-fished Areas?

The 90s were the tail end of the good ole days IMO. Charleston as a whole is over-fished.

Mmmmaybe in certain areas it is, but I’ve caught spottails and trout on every cast, for hours, in some of the creeks I fish. There’s a lot more to when you fish and what you’re throwing at em than a lot of people are willing to admit or even know. I’m not saying that’s you. I’m saying it happens.
    Last edited by Fish; 02-20-2023 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post

The guys on the shore are my kinda people!

Yeah, I'm not of the type that puts an animal on a trophy scale. I mean kinda, but I used to want to try to catch, or shoot everything that was considered tasteful and eat it. I'd club a sailfish and eat it if I already haven't.. Fishing is close to wingshooting in my passions because even the terrible eating ones I get to throw back. My beliefs make me pull up on some ducks, simply because they taste like hell. Compared to like making carp dough, baiting, and catching a carp on light tackle. I get to let the carp go, but the fight was fun. Rockfish were always that way for me, on the lake, because I could race out there, catch the shit out of them then not have to eat them. No one really ever ate them years back, into my 20s I'd see guys cutting the red out and dusting them with chef Prudhomme's stuff. I swear I think that's what happened to channel bass, plus yankees. I'd rather eat a trout, fried in peanut oil.. or shellcracker.

Lots of people “go fishing”, not a lot consistently catch lots of fish, no matter the area. I agree with feet’s also, social media is a problem. I’ve quit posting pictures for the most part, except of my child when he’s successful. I’ll text a picture to the ones I want to see what we’ve caught or killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Yeah, I'm not of the type that puts an animal on a trophy scale. I mean kinda, but I used to want to try to catch, or shoot everything that was considered tasteful and eat it. I'd club a sailfish and eat it if I already haven't.. Fishing is close to wingshooting in my passions because even the terrible eating ones I get to throw back. My beliefs make me pull up on some ducks, simply because they taste like hell. Compared to like making carp dough, baiting, and catching a carp on light tackle. I get to let the carp go, but the fight was fun. Rockfish were always that way for me, on the lake, because I could race out there, catch the shit out of them then not have to eat them. No one really ever ate them years back, into my 20s I'd see guys cutting the red out and dusting them with chef Prudhomme's stuff. I swear I think that's what happened to channel bass, plus yankees. I'd rather eat a trout, fried in peanut oil.. or shellcracker.
    Man as much as I've seen you talk about cooking other things, and it seems like you can cook, I'm surprised to see you say that you don't like the taste of ducks. I find them quite tasty, the rendered fat is God's gift to hunters, and the carcasses make excellent stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Lots of people “go fishing”, not a lot consistently catch lots of fish, no matter the area. I agree with feet’s also, social media is a problem. I’ve quit posting pictures for the most part, except of my child when he’s successful. I’ll text a picture to the ones I want to see what we’ve caught or killed.
    Same here. Got rid of FB and IG, for several reasons, one being that I thought my posting of dead stuff is doing way more harm to hunting and fishing than good. Occasionally I post a picture on here but not many people see this. Not near as many as used to see the stuff I posted on IG.

To me it feels much better that only friends and family know about what I've killed recently.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Man as much as I've seen you talk about cooking other things, and it seems like you can cook, I'm surprised to see you say that you don't like the taste of ducks. I find them quite tasty, the rendered fat is God's gift to hunters, and the carcasses make excellent stock.
    that's not kinda what I said... I love ducks, and I eat a ton of them. I'm not going to shoot and eat a few of them.. like spoonbills out of the salt marsh, resident Canadas, coots, mergansers.. sea ducks, birds of that nature.

that's not kinda what I said... I love ducks, and I eat a ton of them. I'm not going to shoot and eat a few of them.. like spoonbills out of the salt marsh, resident Canadas, coots, mergansers.. sea ducks, birds of that nature.
    When you said they taste like hell I thought you meant you just didn't like them at all.

They're funky. Take for instance a summerduck, I can throw him in olive oil with even just salt, sear the breast and eat it rare. Even some decent eating ducks, you have to rip off the skin and fat.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    When you said they taste like hell I thought you meant you just didn't like them at all.
    naw, heck, I've still got birds froze, split up, and waiting for proper meals.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Fished on Saturday in Georgetown, which is awesome in part because of the lack of crowds. That got me to thinking, are there bodies of water in SC that receive non-sustainable pressure? Talking particularly about freshwater and inshore. Discuss.
    We are blessed with an absolute shit ton of places to catch fish.

Inshore and freshwater.

The harbor would be the most pressured place in the state, but you can still fill a cooler with whatever fish you’re targeting.

Stripers on both Marion and Moultrie have rebounded well.
    We have fish.

My problem is they school in the stumps, and they always seem to come up 1000yds away and I can’t run strait to em bc of the stumps
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Every piece of structure within 10 miles on the DNR or Maps Unique charts or with a buoy on them.

All my live bottom spots by September.

Creeks in PI, NI and MI that everybody can get to.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Technology (ie money) has taken the place of hard work and seat time. Don't get me wrong, the things out there right now for finding fish are impressive but they have definitely made it easier to target them. The "secret" spots offshore will typically have someone on them. If I'm on a spot of live bottom it is normally not long before another boat is coming straight in on us to the exact same spot. Of course the ones you see riding by are marking the spot using their radar to try it out later (Who doesn't).

I put a couple brush piles out in our cove on the lake a few weeks ago. Two days later there was a bass boat on top of them. With all the front/side/rear scan scope thingys it does not take them long to find structure. With 5 tv screens and all the gadgetry hooked to them there are no secret brush piles/honey holes any more. I guess you gotta pay to play.

I hope Im'a gonna kill the shit outta some on Friday and Saturday.
    Haven't been home in awhile and the bite is on fire right now
    Will keep two or three smaller ones for fish tacos if given the opportunity

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Catch and release helps,...even though it pisses off people like Jimmy.

I guess when you spend 800-1000 dollars for gas, you have to cut the head off of something.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Catch and release. Keep what I want to eat mostly cats or crappie for the frying pan. If you can fish you can easily catch more than you can eat.let the friends and neighbors buy fish at the market.

All the Catawba chain is over fished except 3 which I will not name. When I was a kid we went to the Wateree and there was no one bass fishing, a lot of crappie fishermen. Stayed that way till late 70’s or 80’s. Now you have to wait to fish a point.
    Last edited by centurian; 02-20-2023 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Mmmmaybe in certain areas it is, but I’ve caught spottails and trout on every cast, for hours, in some of the creeks I fish. There’s a lot more to when you fish and what you’re throwing at em than a lot of people are willing to admit or even know. I’m not saying that’s you. I’m saying it happens.
    No shame here.... You're probably talking about me. I can sometimes get into em good, but many days when I'm struggling to catch fish, other guys who know what they are doing are wearing them out around here. I just remember effortlessly catching sheepshead, trout, redfish, black drum, pompano, etc... growing up in the 90s... BUT, then again, maybe my old man really did know what he was doing? Lol.
    Last edited by pluffmudder; 02-20-2023 at 09:00 PM.

10% of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish. Been that way forever and will remain that way forever. Faces may change over time but still a truth.

Rockfish are the only freshwater fish my wife will eat, but trout are delicious. Georgetown sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Fished on Saturday in Georgetown, which is awesome in part because of the lack of crowds. That got me to thinking, are there bodies of water in SC that receive non-sustainable pressure? Talking particularly about freshwater and inshore. Discuss.
    Keep talking About your lack of pressure spots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk