Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Food

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I would get a second opinion on that high of protein/fat levels.

You aren't feeding walker hounds which run 8 hours a day,....twice a week.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    agreed!

I've been feeding showtime black bag for at least 15 years. Never had a problem and a firm stool. That can't be said for puppy food.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Please tell me it hasn't been that long ago.

lordy
    Yup, you’re getting old!!!

Inukshuk

makes pro plan look like ol’ roy
    Windows Down!

Use the link below. Type your brand in the search box at the top of the page.

Pedigree dry got 1 star out of 5.

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/best-dog-foods/

Rachel Ray Zero Grain 4.5 star.
    Pro Plan 4 star
    Inukshuk 3.5 star
    Showtime 1.5 star

Also scroll down to get best brands by type of dog. Pretty interesting web site.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 02-20-2023 at 07:42 PM.

Talk to multiple people about dog food this weekend at the NWTF. Trying to get their opinions on the grain-free stuff that get we just started feeding after switching from Purina pro plan. As of now we're feeding 4 health from tractor supply and after talking to Victor dog food if I would have known they were part of diamond dog food I would have never have fed it. Only reason we switch from Purina was due to the price. After listening to what Victor had to tell me and show me the stuff they put in their food. They kind of have me sold I'm going to give it a try!

Also the more I talk to vets that have been around awhile. They all seem to tell me the grain free stuff is kinda like the Tesla world. They have been brain washed
    Last edited by coot nasty; 02-20-2023 at 08:43 PM.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    Inukshuk

makes pro plan look like ol’ roy
    You ordering by the pallet? I hear the discounts are pretty good that way. Otherwise I don’t know how anyone affords it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    You ordering by the pallet? I hear the discounts are pretty good that way. Otherwise I don’t know how anyone affords it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yep. got pallet number 2 on the way.

noticeable difference in stamina, energy, coat, and muscle building and recovery.

feeding dogs 25% less food gives them
    more energy and less poop

my pointers were running close to 100 miles a week all season and only ate 3 cups a day to maintain. It would have taken 5 cups or more of any other food to maintain. i’ve had years past where i had to feed dogs 6-8 cups a day just to maintain which is bullshit because all your dog does is shit the next day.

i only feed to 15 dogs, 8 different breeds.

i run my dogs every other day during season. this is the first season my dogs haven’t been skinny at the end of the season.
    Windows Down!

Raybird, most of these guys asking and commenting don't run their dogs 1/10th as hard as yours get run. That's why the other foods are working for them.

It all boils down to activity. If they're burning calories you have to replenish the calories. Some are athletes and some are couch potatoes. Yes ingredients are important, but Kcals/cup is more important when feeding high activity dogs. This is what a famous cat doc learned me years ago.

Imagine what you'd look like if you ate the same calories as a marathon runner.

34A09426-BAB6-4586-A3B9-212F41A28A2A.jpeg

4wks old. Purina Pro Plan Puppy Sport 30/20

As you can see they have uncontrollable amounts of energy and the food is too much for them.

Pro plan performance during hunting season and pro plan savior off season. Currently feeding 3 cockers, 3 boykins and an english setter. Been feeding it for 20 years, never any issues. Purina is a good product and they put a ton of money and effort into the dog sports venues. I support those that support me.
    UH SHR "Lily" CH
    HR Promise
    SHR Piper
    SHR Maizey
    UH SHR Story
    UH SHR Ever
    SHR Hal
    SHR Rumor

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Dick View Post
    Raybird, most of these guys asking and commenting don't run their dogs 1/10th as hard as yours get run. That's why the other foods are working for them.

It all boils down to activity. If they're burning calories you have to replenish the calories. Some are athletes and some are couch potatoes. Yes ingredients are important, but Kcals/cup is more important when feeding high activity dogs. This is what a famous cat doc learned me years ago.

Imagine what you'd look like if you ate the same calories as a marathon runner.

I forget most people don’t hunt everyday .
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    I forget most people don’t hunt everyday .
    Some of us actually have jobs that require our presence. It ain't your fault but it is the reality.

And I'm not mad. Just jealous.

I feed Jake Pride Endurance Formula, year round. He gets as much as he wants during hunting season and we’re hunting typically 5 days a week. During the off-season when he’s not getting as much exercise I cut the amount back.

To be honest, I’ve never really researched this subject much. Fed Diamond to the old dog and start hearing bad things from others who were feeding it so I switched up when I got Jake. Know several rabbit and coon hunters in our local groups feeding pride as well and they haven’t had any complaints so far
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Bought a bag of Victor and started the switch Monday.

I’m feeding Valu-Pak Free 28-20. It’s what the breeder was feeding her so I got at least one bag to feed until we decide if we want to switch. I’d never heard of it before. Anyone else using this or know of it?
    For the ducks

Been feeding Victor Pro Performance (green bag) for a bird dog since she was a puppy..zero issues and very pleased. 5 years and counting.
    At least I'm housebroken.

So does anybody use Diamond anymore?

What should I feed my doodle?
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid