Thread: Hog killing ammo

Default Hog killing ammo

Will 5.56 ammo in AR15 do the job? FMJ ok?

Depends on whose shootin it

There are certainly better choices.

Better choices because of caliber, or FMJ?

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobieMcDoobie View Post
    Depends on whose shootin it
    That’s for sure.

Any good solid bullet like:

Hornady American Whitetail with the 60gr InterLock
    Speer Gold Dot 75 or 62gr
    Federal Fusion 62gr
    Remington Corelokt 62gr
    And so on...

Any of the solid coppers like
    Barnes 55 62 70
    Federal Trophy Copper
    So on...

You can kill hogs with FMJ's and the BTHP's, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you couldn't find anything else. If you use them, head shots are the best.

A while back I had a nice sized (200lb) boar sneak up behind me while watching over a sorghum field. Whenever I pulled the trigger he was about 30 yards from me. Shot him with 75gr BTHP Hornady Black. He didn't miss a beat. Didn't find a single drop of blood. I guess it went through him without expanding much and I missed all the vitals.

On the other hand. Back whenever 223/5.56 was hard to find I was killing hogs for a farmer and all I had left were some Winchester white box green tips. They go in the size of the bullet and come out the size of a grapefruit. Never thought they would do that. I figured they would zip right through.

Black Hills 77gr OTM in the head!

Yes I've killed several with that combo but I prefer the Fusion soft points. But all about shot placement...I've killed with .17, .22, .223, 7mm, .270, .308, .357. All of these placed in the ear hole result in bacon. However, a .223 to the shoulder at 200yds will will just result in a dentist bill for the next guy that shoots/kills it. This is the primary reason I built my .308.

.22 mag with copper jacketed hollow points at 1875 fps will kill em. Heart / Lung. I'm sure a .223 62 grain Fusion soft corelokt will do that same won't it?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    .22 mag with copper jacketed hollow points at 1875 fps will kill em. Heart / Lung. I'm sure a .223 62 grain Fusion soft corelokt will do that same won't it?
    If you know the anatomy of a hog it will. A lot of people don't realize that a hog's heart/lungs are further forward and lower than a deer's.

It's not ideal. Will it, sure. Especially if your head shooting. If you're shooting a group and plan to take out a few its less than desirable.

When the group gets to squealing and running the adrenaline will kick in and they can tote quite a few .223. Ive seen them get cut through their guts with 223, and the guts actually fall out both sides and the hog live another 3 months, and possibly longer if the pig wasnt shot again and brought down. Hog came back to corn pile wit him 3 days and went back to trying to eat, but obviously it wasnt working out for him as he appeared to have lost 50-60 lbs in 3 months.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot