Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Boston whaler

Spartina is not in business anymore, High and dry is who I would use. There are others you should stay very far from in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC_ducks View Post
    Spartina is not in business anymore, High and dry is who I would use. There are others you should stay very far from in that area.
    agreed. not everyone w a sander and some gel coat is created equal. also there are guys who do good work and guys who are happy to spend folks money that have too much of it and nothing to do w it. Most project whalers don't require a $20k hull off "restoration" unless you want car show level and never actually use it.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC_ducks View Post
    High and Dry is no longer accepting restorations.

The only boat Tom Hughes wouldn’t test drive. I found this out after my 13 rolled over. I took it to him to go over the motor after the incident and he told me a story that was identical to what happened with mine. I sold it shortly after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So much for that.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Every kid should learn to captain on a 13 whaler...

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    The only boat Tom Hughes wouldn’t test drive. I found this out after my 13 rolled over. I took it to him to go over the motor after the incident and he told me a story that was identical to what happened with mine. I sold it shortly after.

That was a helluva day, glad we all lived to laugh about it. Caught my biggest red not an hour after we got her back upright.

That 40 4stroke was just too much motor, she would fly though "literally"

*2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

I don’t know what you knuckleheads did to turn one over, but I love mine. It’s a 13’ from the early 80s. Had a 25 on it when I got it. I had a friend help with redoing the gelcoat and rub rail and hung a 40 Honda on it. It had a screwed up little center console in it when I got it. That came out and I built new bench seats using starboard. With that 40, it jumps up on plane and hauls ass. My kids have been all over edisto with it and love it. I like driving it, but the seating is a little cramped for a big guy. Every time I drive it I think about Chris Farley singing “fat guy in a little boat”.

Technically it was a Mother’s Day gift to my wife several years ago. I thought that was a slick way to add one to the fleet in a way that she couldn’t possibly get upset about. Wrong. She was not impressed and has been threatening to sell it ever since.
    3A7B0A2F-A5AF-4E2F-A80C-ACB554914BEC.jpg

With regard to the original question/post, feel free to touch base and I can give you the details on my restoration. Rub rail with insert was about $200 from Integrity Marine. Cushions, Bimini top, lights, and some other stuff came from specialty marine. Starboard from the plastic place on Bluff Rd. I was originally going to repower with a 30 Suzuki but couldn’t find one during the great outboard shortage. It was considerably lighter than other four strokes in that size range.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
    I don’t know what you knuckleheads did to turn one over, but I love mine. It’s a 13’ from the early 80s. Had a 25 on it when I got it. I had a friend help with redoing the gelcoat and rub rail and hung a 40 Honda on it. It had a screwed up little center console in it when I got it. That came out and I built new bench seats using starboard. With that 40, it jumps up on plane and hauls ass. My kids have been all over edisto with it and love it. I like driving it, but the seating is a little cramped for a big guy. Every time I drive it I think about Chris Farley singing “fat guy in a little boat”.

Technically it was a Mother’s Day gift to my wife several years ago. I thought that was a slick way to add one to the fleet in a way that she couldn’t possibly get upset about. Wrong. She was not impressed and has been threatening to sell it ever since.
    3A7B0A2F-A5AF-4E2F-A80C-ACB554914BEC.jpg
    https://media.tenor.com/Pz740wTNp20A...igger-ship.gif

Dr Willy- That's a nice ride

Bunch of Yankees, but these guys do a nice job restoring Whalers
    https://www.metanmarine.com/home
    Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    Y’all don’t know shit about fuck.

Agree with this - It's like giving a kid his first bike and turning them loose in the neighborhood.
    Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    Y’all don’t know shit about fuck.

I won’t be restoring this, she’s fixing to get listed for about 3 grand or best offer and go to someone who wants a project. I want to fish during my time off so no more projects for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I won’t be restoring this, she’s fixing to get listed for about 3 grand or best offer and go to someone who wants a project. I want to fish during my time off so no more projects for me.
    I wish I had that kind of restraint. I can’t seem to say no to a project. You shouldn’t have any trouble getting three grand for it.

My thoughts also when i traded for ours! Although my boys are pretty salty and captain all the other boats, this one is theirs to clean, fuel, etc. My rules thus far is not to go above the sandbar, to the mouth of the May, or the other side of Bull Creek without prior consent.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

Set my all time record for selling something yesterday at 46 minutes from the listing. 3k cash and gone.

Facebook Marketplace?

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    Facebook Marketplace?
    Yup. No way I wanted anything to do with working on anything of that vintage with my ocd, I’d have 15k in a 13 ft boat!
    Last edited by Whackumstackum; 02-20-2023 at 03:55 PM.

Hell yeah.

There is a guy in Charleston I used to work with at Freeman Boatworks years ago that started his own place. He is getting into the whaler restoration market, and has made several molds now for an updated console, hatchs & lids, etc for the 17's. But he does a jam up job, and one of the best gel coat restoring people around.

Olsen Boat Works
    https://olsenboatworks.com/
    Last edited by Fireman; 02-20-2023 at 04:02 PM.