Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boston whaler

Default Boston whaler

Anyone have any experience with classics whalers? Inherited a 13’ 1981 side console with a 96 40 mariner on it. Was running 2 years ago before it got put up, haven’t cranked it yet. It’s got gel coat that needs work and about 2.5ft of rubrail that needs replacement.

I’ve got a 15 sport. I love it. Been bass fishing in the lake to cobia and spade fishing at the edisto 60.
    867-5309

Fine boats that will take a beating, but in choppy water will also beat you up... from what I recall. I do not own one, but wouldn't mind having one at hand.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Check out www.whalercentral.com.

Those 13 sports are like army tanks….tough as nails.

I believe there is someone in Charleston that specializes in whaler refurbishing. I’ll see if I can find them.

Quote Originally Posted by murraywader View Post
    I believe there is someone in Charleston that specializes in whaler refurbishing. I’ll see if I can find them.
    Spartina and High and Dry both do a lot of Whalers

If you are on Instagram check out Optiker's page to see his 13' rebuild.
    DILLIGAF

I have a 1984 15 super sport. and 1970 13. I have had some work done on both and done some (very little) myself. great boats. Definitely wouldn't buy a post 90's one. the 13 is like a john boat without the tippiness and tiller steer. Safer for a kid just earning his wings. imo

rub rail replacement is a simple order and install procedure. if you end up getting a new motor you might have to go down in horsepower to a 25 4 stroke. you won't win a race but if you are racing in it you are missing the point. I gladly gave up speed for it to sit properly in the water.

bw pre.jpgbw post 2.jpgbw post1.jpg
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

13's-17's are classics. I wish I had a 13'. We still have our 1989 17 Montauk we bout at the boat show when I was little.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

I don’t know why part of my post but I need a value on this thing as I don’t need it. What’s one worth in “project” condition?

My boys have a 1968 13' with a 21' Yamaha we got on trade. It's a bad little creek / sandbar boat. Little too tippy for my ass but I don't ride it.

Fantastic little boats.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I bought a 69 13' 4 or 5 years ago because I wanted the motor for my high tide rebuild. I think I sold the hull for around 2k a year or so ago, it didn't have any soft spots but the hull definitely had water in it. My major complaint with the smaller whalers is that they don't have any flat areas in them. There are limited places to put a cooler without it rocking and you have to watch yourself when stepping over the bench's cause there is no telling what angle or edge your foot is going to land on.

We've got a 1981 17' BW striper that is an awesome boat. Haven't done any restoration and the windshield has been broken since the day we got it. If you're looking for sales info, check out Everything Boston Whaler on facebook. Theres a guy on there named Jeff Rohlfing who I swear knows everything about every Boston Whaler ever built and tons of people that will offer their opinions on value

Quote Originally Posted by forresj View Post
    We've got a 1981 17' BW striper that is an awesome boat. Haven't done any restoration and the windshield has been broken since the day we got it. If you're looking for sales info, check out Everything Boston Whaler on facebook. Theres a guy on there named Jeff Rohlfing who I swear knows everything about every Boston Whaler ever built and tons of people that will offer their opinions on value
    Perfect thanks

We have/had:
    3 15 foot
    1 17 foot
    2 18 foot
    1 25 foot
    They aren't the fastest of most comfortable boats on the water but they are one the driest and WILL get you home. I've had ours in conditions that I wouldn't put another boat twice its size in. My dad completely submerged and 18 foot in the inlet in Fort Pierce. He got on the throttle and dumped the water over the transom and kept on rocking. Try that with any other "pretty" boat. I made a believer out of Santee11 years ago with what they will handle.

Every kid should learn to captain on a 13 whaler...

I’m guessing these are short transom boats? Ain’t never had one, but I think I know where I could get one right. A 13’ whaler looks like it might be perfect for crappie fishing on the lakes and general mayhem on the river.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I’m guessing these are short transom boats? Ain’t never had one, but I think I know where I could get one right. A 13’ whaler looks like it might be perfect for crappie fishing on the lakes and general mayhem on the river.
    short transom until 72 i think.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston