Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: North woods law

Quote Originally Posted by skrimp View Post
    Jimmy Tisdale. He checked me three days in a row and asked me for my license each time. I was in a beaver swamp 100yrds from my house. I've always heard he would write his own mother a ticket. He was very nice, as have been all my warden interactions.
    That's him. He was "game warden of the year" a time or two I believe. He was old school, didn't play around and must have had a heck of an ear for the sound and location of gunfire.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by SCSwitchback View Post
    They're no worse than the majority of them here. When they start protecting the resources instead of just trying to figure out a creative way in which they can write a ticket that may or may not be warranted or hold up in court they'll begin to earn some of my respect back, not that they care what I think one way or the other.
    They're so arrogant, too. They are the crown in their heads. I still laugh about being on the phone with a guy who's name I won't mention, but I bet yall can figure it out, who went on to brag about his college degree in waterfowl management as a defense of the "I know what I'm doing" stance he took. The reason I called was to question why a Cat 2 (Duncan Creek) hasn't been planted in over 4 years and I also asked about any improvements that could be made to the other non-Cat 2 swamps in the NF.

I mean, you typically don't boast about your college degree with you have shown little to nothing in accomplishments as a result of that degree...

My Engineering degrees don't mean I know what I'm doing, my years of demonstrated success in my field means I know what I'm doing. Degrees are just expensive pieces of paper. Same should apply to SCDNR.

I saw an episode of that show a couple years ago and they wrote a guy a ticket for operating his 4-wheeler under the influence of alcohol/open container ON HIS OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY. Screw that nonsense.

Ya'll still watch TV?
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

I have seen the show several times. The accents drive me to something else. The Louisiana show is good due to there obviously being some real backwoods swampers out there that refuse to follow the law. In all my years I have had one poor interaction with a green jeans in our fair state. I was on a killer crappie bite on a brush pile. I watched a DNR guy pass by 20 or so striper fishermen to come to me and ruin the bite. Gave me a warning because my whistle was rusty and I had to shake it a little to get it to work. Then he passed another dozen striper fishermen on his way up toward Ballentine.

Quote Originally Posted by Air Raid View Post
    I have seen the show several times. The accents drive me to something else. The Louisiana show is good due to there obviously being some real backwoods swampers out there that refuse to follow the law. In all my years I have had one poor interaction with a green jeans in our fair state. I was on a killer crappie bite on a brush pile. I watched a DNR guy pass by 20 or so striper fishermen to come to me and ruin the bite. Gave me a warning because my whistle was rusty and I had to shake it a little to get it to work. Then he passed another dozen striper fishermen on his way up toward Ballentine.
    You were probably in his spot.....

I can't watch the Maine guys either, buncha yankee pricks. I enjoy the LA show, and the texas one, except for that prick Benny Richards
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I know it is a TV show and probably scripted to begin with but that you help me and i will try and help you BS to get a confession seem to be common on all of them. I help you by giving a confession and get a ticket or arrested. Generally speaking if a violation is found you are going to get a ticket. No amount of talk will get you out of it. There is enough folks violating the reg.s they dont really have to nit pick something trivial or try to find a BS charge to write a ticket. Go get the ones you need to be after.

All said I have not had any problems with SCDNR wardens but have with NC Wardens
    Last edited by centurian; 02-15-2023 at 11:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    You seem to have a real dislike for SCDNR in many of your posts but the posts are always rather vague as to why.

You just need to spill the beans and tell us why
    I thought I was on Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    Ya'll still watch TV?
    Y'all*

snicker
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    Y'all*

snicker
    asshole.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

noted
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Speaking of BS tv shows, I was watching one of the Alaska survival shows earlier this week and came across this guy fishing to feed his family.

20230214_214542.jpg

Screenshot_20230214-214638_Textra.jpg

Have watched that show off and on few times

Explain this to me, it appears if land is not posted it is fair game for anyone to hunt ?

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    You were probably in his spot.....

I can't watch the Maine guys either, buncha yankee pricks. I enjoy the LA show, and the texas one, except for that prick Benny Richards
    Damn Benny is alright. I like the guy that kind of looks like him. I can’t remember his name. Slow talker from east Texas fella.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Many years ago I met Jimmy Tindal when I used to hunt over that way. He never wrote me anything but it wasn't for the lack of trying. Having a pfd in a pirogue when you're in knee deep water never made any sense but dang if he wouldn't ticket folks for it.
    We might have been hunting together. Were you a part of a "club" in the 90's on a couple of beaver ponds running into a bigger main pond that had a clubhouse/slave shack that we found back in the woods and cleaned up? Shot ringneck at first light then did man drives afterwards? Jimmy TIDWELL was his name, and screwing folks over was his game. He never ticketed me, but none of my friends escaped his wrath. He once wrote everyone in our club except me and Rock-n-Rye tickets for not having life jackets (everyone had float cushions that were legal the year prior) in their sneak boats in our private, leased, 3' deep pond saying it was "navigable water." Rock and I didn't get tickets because we waded across the pond in our waders. The ponds were on Turkey Creek, and you couldn't navigate into our ponds without dragging your boats over hundreds of yards of dry land. He wrote one guy a ticket for having lead shot because the guy had 5 buck-shot on a stock sleeve for deer drive we'd do after the duck hunt. Jimmy wrote him for $90 x 5 shells for 450.00 plus the $90 no life jacket ticket...$540.00 for trying to kill a ringer or two on leased land.

The only time Tidwell did not check us at the Lynches Ramp out of dozens of hunts on the Lynches was an evening when we unloaded our guns at legal only to have a mass beatdown begin 2 minutes after legal in a clearcut just off the river beside where we were floating. There were hundreds of shots fired well into the dark as the full moon lit the place up. We were torn as to whether Jimmy was out of town and this group knew it or whether ol' Jimmy was one of the guys doing the shooting; I'm thinking it was the latter.

The last time I ever saw that fat, ugly prick was his best chance for giving me a ticket. I may or may not have had something on me that would have been a sure-fire ticket as we pulled up to the "ramp" in rock's boat. I had hauled ass to meet Rock and another friend at Rock's house after work one Friday afternoon, and we were feeling A-O-K when we hit the water. We floated around a couple of bends and tied up to a tree to enjoy the afternoon not thinking for a second we'd actually kill a duck. We did, however, kill a couple of pints of Rock-n-Rye, and I may have had a little too much with no food on my stomach since breakfast.

By the time we pulled up to the ramp, I was knee walking, 9-eyed, hammered. Tidwell approached the boat as I may or may not have been dropping certain shells I did not want on me into the bottom of the boat while I may or may not have been trying to hide/sink them. About the time he got to three feet and closing, all the commotion overwhelmed me and I felt the gastric volcano starting to erupt. Somehow, I had enough of my wits about me to turn my head so that my projectile vomit headed straight at his feet. He jumped back cursing and asking what the hell was wrong with me, and without missing a beat, Tripp said, "he's got the flu bad!" Man, I miss that dood. So, Jimmy gets way back and tells Tripp to get my license...which he did as we shared a brief chuckle. Tidwell wouldn't even get near enough to the boat to shine his light in the bottom...which would have cost me.

I figured I'd tempted fate enough and that I'd quit while I was ahead, and I never hunted there again. A bunch of life happened between then and the next time I duck hunted, but by the next time I chased a duck, I had enough money to buy some heavy shot and enough sense and maturity to keep everything legal. Those were some incredible times that I'll never forget and always cherish...and I may have killed 3 woodies and 4 ringers over the three to four years we hunted down there.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 02-21-2023 at 12:53 AM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Some of y’all never dealt with Ben Moise or Angus in the Lowcountry. They didn’t play around.

Ben had the reputation that he'd write his own mother a ticket and I respect that. It shows integrity rather than playing favorites.

One thing he told me that stuck was about a goose hunt he was on somewhere up north. They were having a really good shoot and someone asked how he was enjoying it. He said the only thing that could make it better was if the birds screamed and burst into flames on the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post

Explain this to me, it appears if land is not posted it is fair game for anyone to hunt ?
    used to be that way 30 years ago but you get run off now.

Default North woods law

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Ben had the reputation that he'd write his own mother a ticket and I respect that. It shows integrity rather than playing favorites.

One thing he told me that stuck was about a goose hunt he was on somewhere up north. They were having a really good shoot and someone asked how he was enjoying it. He said the only thing that could make it better was if the birds screamed and burst into flames on the way down.
    I do believe he was impartial and stuck to the rules. He was not known for cutting any breaks. That cannot be said for all law enforcement.
    Ben is one of my good friends uncles and I catered a lot for Ben in college when he was in the oyster business. I still occasionally cook for his partner John. I haven’t seen Ben in awhile but have been told his health is not good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 02-21-2023 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    used to be that way 30 years ago but you get run off now.
    I can recall when I was teenager good friend of mine and his Dad did a lot of quail hunting , just drove around the country and let the dogs out to circle a field. If they pointed we got out, other wise dogs came back to truck

Asked him one day about some land we were on and who owned it. Told me he had no idea, “We bird hunters people do not mind us hunting their land “