Thread: Not it

Default Not it

Article presupposes that there is some giant gaggle of mallard ducks "somewhere" to the north of Arkansas because they aren't migrating to Arkansas anymore. Nope. The mallards simply aren't there to migrate...

Could climate change and farming endanger Arkansas duck hunting?
    Arkansas has been known as the "Duck Capital of the World," and after several tough seasons, many duck hunters are concerned about the future of the cherished sport.

Author: Skot Covert
    February 10, 2023

ARKANSAS, USA — No other place on the planet offers a more ideal home for wintering waterfowl than Arkansas.

Given our near-perfect positioning in the Mississippi Flyway and historically abundant habitat, ducks have been spending their winters in the Natural State for centuries.

When ducks seek out a winter home, they look for two things: a meal to eat and a place to sleep.

The rice fields and bottomland forests of the state’s Delta region offer plenty of food for the birds, and the flooded wetland provides a perfect habitat.

This dynamic combination of natural resources draws millions of ducks to the state every year, ultimately resulting in a $70 million economic impact annually from hunters both local and around the world.

Arkansas’s unique ability to cater to wintering waterfowl has cemented our state’s identity as the duck capital of the world.

However, after several tougher-than-normal seasons, many duck hunters have shared a growing concern for the future of the cherished tradition.

“I don't think duck numbers are what they used to be just by observation alone, just by seeing them with my eyes and seeing them in places they used to be in, and where they're not there anymore,” said duck hunter Brent Birch.

Birch is a lifelong duck hunter and author of The Grand Prairie, a book that chronicles our state’s deeply rooted duck hunting history.

“Something happens with the habitat itself that changes where the ducks go. I just don't think we're seeing the numbers. The habitat is better north of us. I don't think that's the only reason, I think part of it is we're not providing the habitat like we used to in the state,” Birch said.

Weather and climate also play a central role in the story of duck hunting.

When locations north of Arkansas freeze over, limiting food and habitat, ducks migrate south.

Our plants' changing climate has resulted in warmer winters, especially north of Arkansas.

Scientists like Dr. Ryan Askren, a waterfowl ecologist with Five Oaks Age and Research Center, agreed that warmer temperatures north of us don't give ducks much of a need to travel to Arkansas.

“If there is a strong warming trend in this region, we definitely could see a shift in ducks further north, which is hard to disentangle from other landscape level changes, but definitely could be impacting migration,” Askren said.

Although it’s happening less frequently, winter conditions do force ducks to migrate south throughout the course of Arkansas’s 60-day duck season.

The problem we’re now facing? Our ability to meet those two basic needs-- food and habitat--has been changing.

For example, this most recent duck season began with severe drought across much of the state— which concerned scientists and hunters alike.

“A lot of the whole region level habitat that's provided is based on rainwater during the fall. And that's huge," Askren said. "If ducks are coming here and there's no habitat for them, especially once we start hunting them, there's just not much of a reason to stay here."

Much to the delight of hunters and ducks alike, historic rains brought abundant waterfowl to the delta mid-season.

While this was certainly beneficial, the challenges facing the sport are far greater than short-term drought— specifically, food sources for these birds.

Advancements in farming technology have resulted in much more efficient agriculture practices, especially when it comes to rice, a favorite food for ducks.

These efficiencies have left less food on rice fields than ducks have come to expect.

“We're farming earlier and earlier. Unfortunately, rice is a huge food source for mallards and a lot of other species of ducks. We’re getting a lot more efficient with farming, which just means there's less and less food for ducks,” Askren said.

Hunters like Birch understand the benefits of more efficient farming practices but also recognize the impact it’s had on the tradition he’s loved since he was a child.

“I understand farmers have to make a living and they have reasons why they do what they do. But some of that has been to the detriment of waterfowl,” Birch said.

While rice is undoubtedly one of the most popular food sources for ducks, they also like to dine on red oak acorns found in flooded timberland.

For years these bottomland forests have been artificially flooded to create a habitat for ducks.

In recent years scientists have learned that flooding these areas is causing more harm than good— a factor that’s directly reducing the number of acorns available for ducks.

“We’re flooding earlier than historically these areas would have been naturally, and we’re leaving water on too long,” Askren said.

Without a doubt, Arkansas has a long history when it comes to duck hunting.

Much of the state's identity is centered around the incredible resources our state has to offer ducks, though the challenges threatening our reputation continue to mount.

Changes to our climate, enhanced farming practices, and outdated management practices are all factors putting our state’s favorite pastime at risk.

Despite that, hunters and scientists alike agree — what’s at stake is worth fighting for.

“We need to care for these ducks. If we're going to keep them here, we really need to be passionate about managing the habitat well,” said Askren.

https://www.thv11.com/article/sports...d-cc91d47eb42b

duck counts are and always have been a wild guess at best.

This article whispered it, but duck hunters as a whole refuse to look into how many acres of row crops are flooded above the Mason Dixon line these days.

The ducks are spread out and not in traditional areas because they are being held north of us.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

They make it sound like ducks won't survive without us, ducks have wings, they'll fly to find suitable food and water.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Simply look to the mass slaughter up north before the migration starts.

If they average killing 100 ducks on their trip,.....that's half the total population gone before they migrate.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 02-12-2023 at 01:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Simply look to the mass slaughter up north before the migration starts.

If they average 100 ducks,.....there's half the total population gone before they migrate.
    Because hunting in Canada and the Dakotas is a new thing?

Every time I hear the word Arkansas, all I can think of is a bunch of stupid heybos blowing their calls for the entire 12 hour ride, cause “we’re gonna make it rain in the timber, bo”. And even the crushing outcome of the two shoveler total take, from an overshot soybean field can’t put a dent in their enthusiasm. Cause Arkansas, bo! I watched guys get all wound up seeing those stupid ass snow geese everywhere. The complete unavailability of birds for young “duck hunters” from SC is tragic.

I have duck hunted Arkansas since 1979 and it's a shell of it's former state.

Same goes for SC. Our glory days have come and gone, possibly never to return assuming they don't let some aquatic vegetation that's beneficial to ducks grow. Corn isn't enough to sustain a population of ducks thru the winter, they need more. And that "more" is something we simply don't have much of.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Because hunting in Canada and the Dakotas is a new thing?
    No,....everyone should go and experience it. Hunting dry wheat and pea fields is something everyone needs to do. I'm planning on going back next year for a 4 day hunt....geese and ducks.

What's different is the number of people and the time spent hunting up there. Also the hunters are alot more efficient at killing these days.(panel blinds and robos). Everybody is a killer. There are folks staying from 30-60 days,....bragging about harvesting around a 1000 birds

Multiple that by the 200,000 Canadian licenses sold and see where we are in Arkansas.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 02-12-2023 at 05:03 PM.

We've got Americans guiding in Canada.

They're gonna fuck up the last best thing there is. It can be argued they already have.

We have had South Carolinians guiding in Canada for decades. Some even know how to run a backhoe to bury the excess. IYKYK...

When we are required to use a Canadian guide service to hunt ducks in Canada (like the current big game regs) I'll be sure to say I told y'all so.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    When we are required to use a Canadian guide service to hunt ducks in Canada (like the current big game regs) I'll be sure to say I told y'all so.
    I’ve been saying this for a long time. Nobody here wants to hear it.

Nobody likes to hear facts anymore...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    We have had South Carolinians guiding in Canada for decades. Some even know how to run a backhoe to bury the excess. IYKYK...
    A picture of a stack is awesome and all but I look at the piles of birds and just think about the waste. We all know 90% of those birds are not consumed by anything that moves on 2 legs.
    cut\'em

Don't hate the player.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Ducks are smarter than most duck hunters

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Same goes for SC. Our glory days have come and gone, possibly never to return assuming they don't let some aquatic vegetation that's beneficial to ducks grow. Corn isn't enough to sustain a population of ducks thru the winter, they need more. And that "more" is something we simply don't have much of.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Rest easy. Our fabulous DNR has restored SC duck hunting to its former glory by reducing the walk in public land wood duck hunter to two days a week.

Mallards should circling in a holding pattern and will be taking a number to drop in the hole by next season.

Even in WA state they are seeing the effects of flooded corn.

Ducks don't get what they need from corn, especially for breeding when it's dried out as soon as season over.