Thread: Wild rice seed

Default Wild rice seed

I know several of you on here have planted wild rice in some beaver ponds and swamp areas. What kind of success did you have with the rice? Was it a waste of time and money? Did it actually grow? We have several spots that I would like to increase the food supply in. One of these spots is the head of a 12 acre pond that’s pretty flat and stays around 2-3 foot deep because of the beavers and has a lot of flooded timber in the creek bottom feeding the pond. Just wondering what the best options are for getting some food in there. Any local sources for the rice seed?

Very curious as well. I’m going to be trying some in a couple different places with standing water/ponds this year

I haven’t found anywhere to get seed local. The only place I’ve found Has been this place: https://www.riverrefugeseed.com/wildrice-pricing

Not hard to do. It not wild rice so to speak but you can order online or get your local see and feed store to order it. If you can get the area dry you can broadcast or and drag it in in. If the area stays damp or wet you can sprout the seed then broadcast it on mud or in standing water

FC7B923D-ACBB-41D5-A3FA-2326A989A2EB.jpg
    Last edited by Duckman#1; 02-11-2023 at 09:36 PM.
    80-20 Genaration

Wild rice is expensive!

I have not had trouble getting it to grow, but I have had trouble getting it to make seed. It would have a false head with no seed. I even added nitrogen one time. Millet worked better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Not hard to do. It not wild rice so to speak but you can order online or get your local see and feed store to order it. If you can get the area dry you can broadcast or and drag it in in. If the area stays damp or wet you can sprout the seed then broadcast it on mud or in standing water

FC7B923D-ACBB-41D5-A3FA-2326A989A2EB.jpg
    What seed do you use?

Just whatever I could get my hands on. Not worried about the variety in
    80-20 Genaration

Google search. Lots of info and videos out there
    80-20 Genaration

I think wild rice in the south needs tidal flow.
    Anywhere otherwise, it's a waste of money IMO.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Wild rice needs flowing water. I've had good success with regular rice but I now have about a solid acre of smartweed so why even plant? I just spot spray to kill willow, bullrush, and other unwanted forbs and trees.
    "We have become so open minded that our brains have fallen out"

7CF476DF-AF29-4C0D-B3B9-8D312C2D95C4.jpgHancockseed.com out of Florida is who we buy from. We had decent success throwing it in mud flats but little to zero growth throwing in standing water. Hoping to draw down the water this year and plant more.
    Last edited by AH HOLY; 02-12-2023 at 07:59 AM.
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH

Quote Originally Posted by AH HOLY View Post
    7CF476DF-AF29-4C0D-B3B9-8D312C2D95C4.jpgHancockseed.com out of Florida is who we buy from. We had decent success throwing it in mud flats but little to zero growth throwing in standing water. Hoping to draw down the water this year and plant more.
    Are you soaking and sprouting the seed before broadcasting it in water?

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    Are you soaking and sprouting the seed before broadcasting it in water?
    If broadcasting in water you’ll have to sprout it first or it won’t germinate
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    If broadcasting in water you’ll have to sprout it first or it won’t germinate
    That’s why I asked.

Yes, I soaked it for the recommended time. It almost had a sour mash smell to it when I tossed it in the water. The green that you see is from the muddy banks without standing water.
    HRCH DOC'S LIL LEGACY MH