Thread: Land Between the Lakes - US Forestry Service says Illegal to Hunt or Trap

Default Land Between the Lakes - US Forestry Service says Illegal to Hunt or Trap

The Land between the Lakes in Tennessee and Kentucky is getting infested with hogs and not allowing anyone to hunt them. They've already migrated from the Tennessee side, crossed the state line and now Hwy 80. Can't understand why they are not allowing any hunting. But wants you to report sightings.

https://landbetweenthelakes.us/feral-hogs/
    Last edited by HT; 02-08-2023 at 09:21 AM.

This news is about 15 years old.

Reasoning for not allowing "hunting" is they don't want the hogs to become a commodity leading to folks illegally dumping more hogs in there. But I can tell you from experience no one will say a word if you kill 1 or 5 while deer hunting. Game bags in a pack work wonders. They are intensively trapping and night hunting them to keep numbers down and I stick an arrow in every one I see if I can.

They want it handled by private professionals, I'm guessing, rather than creating another publicsport. If they allowed them to be hunted, some asshole would trap them and turn them loose to create a huntable population on public land or his own farm.

This news is about 15 years old.

Reasoning for not allowing "hunting" is they don't want the hogs to become a commodity leading to folks illegally dumping more hogs in there. But I can tell you from experience no one will say a word if you kill 1 or 5 while deer hunting. Game bags in a pack work wonders. They are intensively trapping and night hunting them to keep numbers down and I stick an arrow in every one I see if I can.

I haven't hunted the LBL in close to 12-15 years, but around that area on private. Locals are saying that they just recently crossed Hwy 80 heading into the main KY side. I no TN has had them for years, but I never saw any sign or hogs when hunting the KY side above 80. but like I said that was 12-15 years ago since last I hunted the LBL.
    Last edited by HT; 02-08-2023 at 09:54 AM.

You still hunting the LBL Glenn?

Also, if its been 15 years of trapping, I don't think they are doing a good job as I'm hearing there are more now in the LBL than ever.

There are pigs on the entire 170k acres and have been for more than a decade.

Yea the government will handle this just fine, right? In the last 2 weeks I've run into 2 unused, unbaited traps on a WMA here. This WMA is absolutely full of hogs and I've been trying really hard to sneak up on one to put a .22LR in the earhole. No success yet but I've gotten close.

As for the traps, my friend said they are probably APHIS traps sitting there getting rusty after they got hundreds of thousands of dollars in grant money. Yet if I were to bait that trap and do the job our government is failing at, well that'd be illegal.

I just want to kill some hogs and eat them. Trap, bait, rifle, whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by HT View Post
    You still hunting the LBL Glenn?

Also, if its been 15 years of trapping, I don't think they are doing a good job as I'm hearing there are more now in the LBL than ever.
    Yessir. I go every year and the hunting quality waxes and wanes but it is always a good time. As a hunter in Tn you are treated not quite like royalty but treated well by the USFS and DNR there. Unlike here where you're just a necessary stepchild evil the DNR and FS has to deal with in between budgeting sessions.

They didn't really take those things serious for the first 3-5 years because they were in isolated pockets and rare to see. Then within 1-2 years they were everywhere. Farmers stopped leasing the crop fields and that was when the USFS got serious about beating them back. Some crops are coming back in and the FS is hammering the swine to keep them at bay. And I can assure you even though they say "no hog hunting" they give not one care how many you kill. We shoot them every year there and pack out what we want and leave the rest for recycling.

See below...

Land Between the Lakes National Recreation Area - U.S. Forest Service
    9h
    ·
    Access will be interrupted to some areas of Land Between the Lakes during the week of February 21-24 for a feral swine eradication project. Temporary road and trail closures will be in place throughout this operational timeframe. If a barricade is encountered on a road or trail, please do not go past it. Visitors will be notified of closures and informed of any changes through the official Land Between the Lakes Alerts webpage: www.landbetweenthelakes.us/alerts. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding! #KnowBeforeYouGo
    Last edited by Glenn; 02-20-2023 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Yea the government will handle this just fine, right? In the last 2 weeks I've run into 2 unused, unbaited traps on a WMA here. This WMA is absolutely full of hogs and I've been trying really hard to sneak up on one to put a .22LR in the earhole. No success yet but I've gotten close.

As for the traps, my friend said they are probably APHIS traps sitting there getting rusty after they got hundreds of thousands of dollars in grant money. Yet if I were to bait that trap and do the job our government is failing at, well that'd be illegal.

I just want to kill some hogs and eat them. Trap, bait, rifle, whatever.
    I said the same thing whenever I went to Cuddo.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    I said the same thing whenever I went to Cuddo.
    It's not just Cuddo either, I have found several abandoned and rusted out hog traps on the Waccamaw refuge as well.

Serious question - why won't the DNR let us do any hog trapping on public land? There are several states that allow for trapping of various furbearers and nest raiders on public land. Was this something that has ever seriously been considered by SCDNR?

One of these days I'll probably just have to head to the lower part of the state to increase my odds, but whenever I follow hog sign up here I wind up at super thick stuff around the rivers. There's no way I could sneak through that undetected. A few times I've flushed them out like quail in that stuff so I stopped doing that. I'm not afraid of them but given their likelihood to be temperamental it's probably not best to sneak up on them where I can't see them.

8 days left of small game season and I want some wild pork.

Saturday evening right before dark I heard them snorting and grunting while I was sitting by a heavily used wallow waiting. Backed out slowly, facing the noise, never saw them.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    Do you go during the early season or during the rut Glenn? I've only hunted it twice but it's a cool place.
    Depends on when I can get coverage here at the office. I and my family prefer the last of October/first of November. They like the Halloween stuff at the campground and I like the hunting that time of year. But I've hunted them early and done well and in December as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    Serious question - why won't the DNR let us do any hog trapping on public land? There are several states that allow for trapping of various furbearers and nest raiders on public land. Was this something that has ever seriously been considered by SCDNR?

One of these days I'll probably just have to head to the lower part of the state to increase my odds, but whenever I follow hog sign up here I wind up at super thick stuff around the rivers. There's no way I could sneak through that undetected. A few times I've flushed them out like quail in that stuff so I stopped doing that. I'm not afraid of them but given their likelihood to be temperamental it's probably not best to sneak up on them where I can't see them.

8 days left of small game season and I want some wild pork.

Saturday evening right before dark I heard them snorting and grunting while I was sitting by a heavily used wallow waiting. Backed out slowly, facing the noise, never saw them.
    Pigs thrive/live in briary shit on the coast, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Depends on when I can get coverage here at the office. I and my family prefer the last of October/first of November. They like the Halloween stuff at the campground and I like the hunting that time of year. But I've hunted them early and done well and in December as well.
    Good deal. I went in November and seemed to hit it right despite the hot weather this past year. I’m going to try for the same week this coming season if I can.

Good deal. I went in November and seemed to hit it right despite the hot weather this past year. I’m going to try for the same week this coming season if I can.
    Nice. Holler when you get dates figured out.

It's not just Cuddo either, I have found several abandoned and rusted out hog traps on the Waccamaw refuge as well.
    The last time I went to Cuddo the hogs were so bad they were rooting up the roads. The roads are hard packed crush-n-run.

My crew and I have been deer hunting LBL on the KY side for the last 10 years and the hogs have always been a major issue. Those fuckers will walk right up on you out there and not have a care in the world, I've had them at 10-15 steps from the end of my turkey barrel on more than one occasion. I've personally been told by a game warden to stick one in the liver when the opportunity presents itself.

Here's my latest drag out of there..
    LBLbuck.jpg
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge