Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grillin whole chicken and ideas for large amounts of duck breast

Default Grillin whole chicken and ideas for large amounts of duck breast

2 different things going on. I am sitting here staring at a ceramic grill with a whole chicken on it. I have done quite a few. Beer can, spatchcocked. 350 degrees til cooked. I have not made up my mind on a perfect cook or recipe. This bird and the last bird I have brined. The last bird was great, super moist, tender, etc. BUT that one and this one the skin is breaking and cracking and shriveling up. I attribute it to the salt brine. I tried basting this one tonight at 20 minutes and it had already cracked up. Any recipes, ideas or suggestions so I can just stick to one method?

Also, I have a good bit of skinned duck breast in freezer. I want to use it up. Ideas for a dip (had one once that was amazing and didnt get recipe), crock pot, big cook of sorts aside from cooking standard breasts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duck dip sounds good.

That’s my favorite way to cook okra.
    Last edited by wskinner; 02-06-2023 at 08:15 PM.

That looks great.

I had waited on some Mid west ducks to show back up som I could render the fat and this year didnt pan out. That is some fantastic stuff.

And Yes, I know you can buy it but nothing like making your own.

Those corn fed babies have far more juice for the squeeze!

But your pic looks delectable.

Did you do both ducks the same? You said the other was not cracking?
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

Egg rolls, pastrami, perlo, pasta..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Default Grillin whole chicken and ideas for large amounts of duck breast

Quote Originally Posted by Silentweapon338 View Post
    That looks great.

I had waited on some Mid west ducks to show back up som I could render the fat and this year didnt pan out. That is some fantastic stuff.

And Yes, I know you can buy it but nothing like making your own.

Those corn fed babies have far more juice for the squeeze!

But your pic looks delectable.

Did you do both ducks the same? You said the other was not cracking?
    Pictured is a store bought chicken. The last two I brined and both cracked bad.

While I was sitting waiting on the chicken I started trying to figure out what I am going to do with 5-10lbs of skinned frozen wild duck breasts that need to be cooked.
    2 cook topics in one thread.

I have never grilled a whole duck but have baked a few and they come out fantastic. PIA plucking them but dang they good once ready.

Edit: the cracking may be more of a visual/presentation thing for me. My wife and kid don’t eat the skin and think the chicken tastes great. A 6lb bird feeds the three of us with a side for about $10 and its a healthy meal. I then have a breast and a thigh left over for another meal or two and pick the bones for at-least one chicken salad serving.
    Trying to recover from Halls the other night . Don’t ever just order the bourbon special without asking what it is. Lesson learned. $75/oz.
    I have also gotten sick and tired if it costing $50-80 bucks for the three of us to go eat a meal and try to limit eating out to once a week.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 02-06-2023 at 08:53 PM.

Light tempura coat and fry those breasts after cube to 1in, Mae Ploy sauce.

Had some like this in January and it was a fantastic app.

I struggle with whole chickens, thighs and legs are my favorite parts. I just don't enjoy the breast.

The last whole chickens I smoked with lemon, orange and garlic in the cavity after brine. They were delicious but I still don't like breast meat.

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Light tempura coat and fry those breasts after cube to 1in, Mae Ploy sauce.

Had some like this in January and it was a fantastic app.

I struggle with whole chickens, thighs and legs are my favorite parts. I just don't enjoy the breast.
    This sounds delicious! I'm gonna try this, thanks for sharing
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

~Scatter Shot

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    The last whole chickens I smoked with lemon, orange and garlic in the cavity after brine. They were delicious but I still don't like breast meat.
    Had the same in the brine and in cavity afterwards. Brined for ~9hrs.

No doubt the thigh/leg/leg quarter is tastier than the breast but I can eat it all.

I wouldn't bother to brine for beer can chicken. The thighs cook a little faster because they're closer to the heat source, so you're not drying the breasts out waiting for the thighs to finish. I put a pad of butter between the skin and breast meat on both sides. Skin is perfect every time.

3-4 lb chicken, cut in halves at 225 for 3 hrs. Hit with vinegar bbq sauce every 20 min after the first hour. Your welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    I wouldn't bother to brine for beer can chicken. The thighs cook a little faster because they're closer to the heat source, so you're not drying the breasts out waiting for the thighs to finish. I put a pad of butter between the skin and breast meat on both sides. Skin is perfect every time.
    I have only brined my last two just messing around. I think it is undoubtedly more juicy when brined but may be the source of the cracking skin. I also have gotten to where I spatchcock them more often to speed up the cook with good results. I dont think the beer can (I have a ceramic dish) makes any difference at all nor does adding all sorts of spices etc to the brine but maybe thats just me.

Quote Originally Posted by SaltMuck View Post
    3-4 lb chicken, cut in halves at 225 for 3 hrs. Hit with vinegar bbq sauce every 20 min after the first hour. Your welcome.
    Ive smoked a few but hard to do on a week night. Weeknights I roll about 350.

I do whole chickens a good bit for gatherings. Pat dry, then dry rub with your seasoning of choice. 250 for 5-6 hours depending on size. When internal temp hits, turn up to 500 and crisp the skin. I turn them every hour in the pit boss to keep from burning. Never had a single complaint. Make a batch of white sauce to go with it. No beer can needed, other than the ones you drink while it’s cooking.

"Some high society lady says is your horse outside, no ma'am he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride" Hank Jr

Quote Originally Posted by billbuster84 View Post
    I do whole chickens a good bit for gatherings. Pat dry, then dry rub with your seasoning of choice. 250 for 5-6 hours depending on size. When internal temp hits, turn up to 500 and crisp the skin. I turn them every hour in the pit boss to keep from burning. Never had a single complaint. Make a batch of white sauce to go with it. No beer can needed, other than the ones you drink while it’s cooking.

Im moving back towards simplifying it which is where I started and close to what you describe. I even think spatchcock and dry rub with some butter and rub under skin and call it a day. Spatchcocking is easy. Makes it cook faster and you aren’t giving up anything. No flipping necessary. If I do a single bird this way at 350 it is done around an hour. I do agree that with whole chickens and wings its nice to crank the heat the last 10-15 min to try to crisp up if needed.

I just got done with dinner about 2 hours ago, and I'm getting hungry reading this thread.

Lots of great ideas!

I may end up in the kitchen making a mess rather than get on here at 3 am making a mess!

I guess I may be able to do both with these simple recipients and 1 hour cook time. I can sleep in, and still have a stunning breakfast.

Fantastic ideas.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Cut chicken breast into bite size pieces
    Dredge in buttermilk and house of autry chicken
    Fry in peanut
    Oil

Toss in bang-bang sauce
    1/2 cup dukes
    1/2 cup sweet Thai chili
    Add siracha to taste
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Cut chicken breast into bite size pieces
    Dredge in buttermilk and house of autry chicken
    Fry in peanut
    Oil

Toss in bang-bang sauce
    1/2 cup dukes
    1/2 cup sweet Thai chili
    Add siracha to taste
    Now wait a min. If you're gonna do bang bang you need Grouper. But dont use the House for the grouper use regular corn starch, now for your side of fried cauliflower use the house Autry but use the "Hot" seafood breader.
    Yup, he's crazy...

~Scatter Shot

Duck bulgogi over some nishiki rice and kimchi