Thread: ArcGIS Substitute.

Default ArcGIS Substitute.

Looking for a cheaper option than Arc to produce maps on a laptop/desktop. I think I have asked this question here before but don’t remember the answers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

If you’re just trying to create aerial type hunting maps. HuntStand will do it.

To further clarify what I am trying to do….I want to create a printable map for a property that outlines burn blocks and assigns a color to them that correlates with their respective burn time and/or date. Google Earth Pro will do this but I’m looking for something a little better than that.

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Take a look at QGIS and see if it will do what you are wanting.

Can you not take a screenshot from Arcgis including parcel lines, import into PDF, Bluebeam, Adobe, etc.. and then just mark it up?

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Can you not take a screenshot from Arcgis including parcel lines, import into PDF, Bluebeam, Adobe, etc.. and then just mark it up?
    I could I guess but im not sure it would create the quality of map i am looking for. I want to be able to hand this to the landowner and he has it in his truck or even on his phone and can reference the map as he is riding around the property.

All you need is a georeferenced pdf and Avenza.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    All you need is a georeferenced pdf and Avenza.
    I’ve used that for cruising….I’m definitely gonna check out Avenza…currently downloading QGIS

Too bad Mergie ain’t around here anymore, he could tell you all you ever wanted to know about it and more.

Avena is a really cool app.
    ARCGIS home use edition.... Have to renew annually.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    I could I guess but im not sure it would create the quality of map i am looking for. I want to be able to hand this to the landowner and he has it in his truck or even on his phone and can reference the map as he is riding around the property.

Avenza can do this after you export as a PDF... Awesome app really.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 02-06-2023 at 08:46 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Avenza.

The consultant out there can get you maps, he’s sent them to me before.

It’ll do exactly what you want it to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Avenza is a really cool tool for sure. I use it often with georeferenced PDFs of plats and site plans. I do most of everything in civil 3D and then georeference with global mapper. I know enough about Arc and QGIS to be dangerous but that’s about it. QGIS is a solid GIS software to be free.

^ he would know.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Never used Avenza but like SCTRKY said, QGIS isnt bad at all for being free.

I also work in civil 3d a good bit designing utilities. Does Georgetown (assuming that's the county you're working in) have shapefiles? I typically import property line shapefiles and the images I need into a cad file.

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

$100 will get you an ESRI personal use license for the year and will give you the ability to publish your maps to ArcGIS Online where they can be viewed on a smartphone / tablet and the data you develop is actual GIS data and not just a color-coded polygon. I keep all of the burn dates as attributes of a block so I know how many times a block has been burned and when. Attach photos and even the burn plan for that block. It becomes a one-stop shop for all your information.

Avenza is a very useful alternative, but ESRI has made their software much more accessible to a wider range of users than what they had in the past.

I use what MC uses and it is like $150/year or less. My renewal is coming up soon. It works well.