Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charging Lithium Batteries

Default Charging Lithium Batteries

Can I use a regular 12v charger? I see conflicting information online. Some say yes, other say no. One I read says yea if it has an AMG setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check to see what the batteries say for "Input Voltage/Amperage" and try to match that as closely as possible, particularly the amperage.

It may or may not be 12V, depending on the battery.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

WAIT JUST A MINUTE!!

the internet had conflicting points of view???

STOP THE PRESSES

More importantly, how wer the customer service and online reviews?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    Check to see what the batteries say for "Input Voltage/Amperage" and try to match that as closely as possible, particularly the amperage.

It may or may not be 12V, depending on the battery.

It says on the ad to use a charger rated for 14.6V and 10 amps.

Here's one... https://www.amazon.com/Power-Queen-A.../dp/B09MKJN953

I'm sure there are many others, but I'm not sure what the allowable range is of voltage and amps, so I'd stick as close as possible to nominal.
    ~ George Washington

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    It says on the ad to use a charger rated for 14.6V and 10 amps.

Here's one... https://www.amazon.com/Power-Queen-A.../dp/B09MKJN953

I'm sure there are many others, but I'm not sure what the allowable range is of voltage and amps, so I'd stick as close as possible to nominal.
    The dang charger is more expensive than the battery!

It all depends on the battery and the charger. That being said the idea is that using a non lithium charger will charge lithium batteries but you'll never see a full charge. In general it'll get you to around 80% or so but thats it unless you move to a lithium specific charger.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

What are you running off of an 18aH battery?
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    It all depends on the battery and the charger. That being said the idea is that using a non lithium charger will charge lithium batteries but you'll never see a full charge. In general it'll get you to around 80% or so but thats it unless you move to a lithium specific charger.
    I’m reading that if you use one that has an AMG setting, it “can” work

Yep, just won't get to 100%. That 18aH is pretty small for anything other thank like a small 7" screen depth finder. I'm running a 54aH for my Garmin 106SV and black box for the livescope. I get about a day and a half out of it. A 23aH will power my Humminbird Helix 7 Gen 4 SI for two days.

No, you can’t charge a lithium on a regular charger.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Ring King View Post
    Yep, just won't get to 100%. That 18aH is pretty small for anything other thank like a small 7" screen depth finder. I'm running a 54aH for my Garmin 106SV and black box for the livescope. I get about a day and a half out of it. A 23aH will power my Humminbird Helix 7 Gen 4 SI for two days.
    You got me second guessing myself now. I ran a 12ah amg and it got me about 5 I think. I’m running livescope plus a 9 in screen

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    No, you can’t charge a lithium on a regular charger.
    Always been what I have seen as well. Not worth the fire risk, just buy the correct lithium charger.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    You got me second guessing myself now. I ran a 12ah amg and it got me about 5 I think. I’m running livescope plus a 9 in screen

Is this on a boat? Tie in to existing house or cranking.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Is this on a boat? Tie in to existing house or cranking.
    I had everything tied to my cranking battery but it would support livewell, lights, graphs and livescope. Was just easer so run it separate.

The other considerations is to split the load between two batteries. If you want the best performance out of your LiveScope you need a separate battery to run the black box. There is interference that can be picked up if the black box is powered from the same battery as the display unit. That being said, I’m currently running my 106SV and the black box off the same 54aH Dakota Lithium battery. It works well enough to see that the truck I found in 20ft of water on the bottom of Lake Berryessa a couple weeks ago is a crew cab short bed! I may swap out to two 46aH Dakota Lithium batteries this tourney season just to see if I can notice any improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    The dang charger is more expensive than the battery!

Figure that you could easily own the charger for years vs just a few years for the battery. It just depends on if you will be able to use the same charger for future batteries. Choose wisely on both!
    ~ George Washington

Most lithium batteries from reputable companies have around a 10 year warranty on them. That makes the price a little easier to handle when you figure you shouldn't be replacing them every three years or so.

The biggest benefit to me has been the run time of the batteries. Running lead acid batteries for the trolling motor on my bass boat used to be so aggravating when fishing tidal river systems because at the end of the day I wouldn't have the power to hold place in the current. Now with lithium batteries I don't have that reduced power issue. Also, for the kayak, the weight and space savings has been the biggest benefit.