Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air BnB?

Default Air BnB?

I have never stayed in one and don’t know much about the process, but was toying around the idea of providing one. I have a pool house in the backyard that I use as a man cave/hunting and fishing storage. I would definitely have to move some stuff out, but it is heated/cooled and has a full bath. There are no cooking appliances other than a microwave. Currently has a double and single bed with a couch, TV, and Wi-Fi. Anybody into this? Do you go through a host to advertise/book. Might not be worth the hassle, but if i could make a couple hundred bucks a month it might be. Thoughts?
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

I don't own any, but I have stayed in several. Some like you described and some are whole houses to yourself. The only issue is that AirBnB's fees have gotten out of hand and from what I have seen on the news lately their business is falling.

Other than that, I say go for it. Do you have a niche? Like, close to the beach? Close to down town Charleston? Etc.

If you are in Summerville you could probably build a kitchen onto it and rent it out for $1,000mo. It's crazy what people pay for rent in that area.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...s-fees-chores/
    Last edited by StrutnBPS; 02-05-2023 at 02:14 PM.

My first Airbnb went live last week. It’s a process. I used evolve for the marketing and booking.

Interested as well

Daughter/Son in law just built house on land he owns and before that were living in a large 1 bdrm apartment above barn (no animals )

The house is within eyesight but about 200 yards separated by creek and strip of woods

They are in very close proximity to Green Pond Boat Landing as well as several others on that section of lake. Told them with all the fishing tournaments on Hartwell they might be surprised at how much they could rent it. Fenced in area around barn and easy to hook up electrical for charging boat batteries Nice porch w decent view

I have seen some astronomical numbers come through my office for AirBNB last couple years however I am not too sure how it works

There other option is a long term renter (few folks have inquired but needs little updating and some minor repairs first )

Be hard pressed for me to have multiple unknowns in that close of proximity to my house/wife/younguns...especially if I was not there?

Correct.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

I've cleaned rental condos. What people do to a rental is the stuff of a shameful Troma Studios horror flick.

i dont like people
    especially ones messing with my shit
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I host a couple of AirBnB's. Process to host it yourself is super easy and its up to you when to have people. You can weed out a lot of undesirable renters with the price point. But there is some work to it, responding to renters, cleaning (or managing a cleaning service), and some paperwork. With what you are describing I'd think you'd at least need a kitchenette. But there is no reason your couldn't turn a decent revenue as long as there is a draw to your area.

If you're in an area with a good draw I'd do it. It's not passive though if you're managing it yourself. The STR management companies are highway robbery in my opinion, most are around 20% - 25% of gross. I have a duplex that would probably do well for an AirBnB, I've considered turning 1/2 of it into one if I lose a tenant ... but LTR is so much easier.

The Bass fishing crowd would love it and not mess it up. When you fish all day, you just eat and got to bed.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I stay at quite a few AirBnB's for sporting clays tournaments. Most gun clubs are in the middle of nowhere so finding something close is nice. All those competitors just want a place to sleep and eat after a long day at the gun club.

Also, think outside the box. It may not have a kitchen.... so supply a grill.

Quote Originally Posted by StrutnBPS View Post
    Also, think outside the box. It may not have a kitchen.... so supply a grill.
    I have an egg, flat top, and sink out by the pool.
    AD35DBE0-B94A-43CE-A747-9F6F6FF2EC5B.jpg
    8FD3FBEF-FC18-4C2F-954F-5C16BF1F76D6.jpg
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

Looks good to me. The place we stay at in Sun Set Harbor doesn't have a kitchen. It has an oversized sink in the bathroom so you can do dishes and grill outside.

I've toyed with the idea of AirBnB'ing Fort Kickass. It's a half hour away from Backwoods. Half hour from Conway, Half Hour from Georgetown and on the water.

But...

That would mean I'd have to spend my weekends in Columbia and fuck that shit.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by dmatheny21 View Post
    Ain't no way I'd let a bunch of unverified strangers have access to that, especially in my backyard.

You're asking for a headache in my opinion.

Agreed with Glenn. Bare minimum of fuckery is them pissing in your pool, sir.