Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Changes to IOP Marina fees ???

Default Changes to IOP Marina fees ???

Nephew was telling me going to be less parking and more fees at IOP marina this year

Something about City of IOP (thought they owned it anyway ) was taking over lot of the operations.

My understanding was IOP actually owned the store and leased it out for operation

Told me NR launch fees jumping to $50 per launch ?

too damn crowded anyway.
    Windows Down!

It is true
    Shem is also closed for some construction For a few months.

Private landings are high on the list of things I am thankful for.
    cut\'em

I was told launching was free if you are a homeowner on the island, anyone know if that's true or not?

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    Nephew was telling me going to be less parking and more fees at IOP marina this year

Something about City of IOP (thought they owned it anyway ) was taking over lot of the operations.

My understanding was IOP actually owned the store and leased it out for operation

Told me NR launch fees jumping to $50 per launch ?
    Yep. I haven’t talked to anyone about it but my belief is that it is free for residents now and $50 for non. The city owns that entire property down there (not the back docks) and leases the restaurant and general store. They had the marina leased since 1999 but there is a new tenant. Originally back in the 90’s The IOP taxpayers voted in favor to purchase the marina from private owner so it makes sense to me that residents should access it for free. Parking has always been an issue down there and with the population explosion it simply cannot accommodate everyone. Every new neighborhood that is built leans on stating 10 minutes to the beach!
    Prior to it being sold in the 90’s the previous owner had a full development plan to turn the marina into condos etc that would have ultimately profited more than selling the marina to the city but they wanted to see residents continue to have access to the water so they sold to the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess they have to pay for all that new dockage somehow. This will already make the cluster fuck that is Garris Landing even worse. The worst thing they ever did there was add a floating dock.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    I guess they have to pay for all that new dockage somehow. This will already make the cluster fuck that is Garris Landing even worse. The worst thing they ever did there was add a floating dock.
    The upkeep/overhead of marina is certainly very high. Especially that seawall. I cant remember the total cost but when it was changed from a wooden sea wall to the steel wall that is there now it cost many millions of dollars to complete.

Lmao. $50 per launch? And I used to think $17 was ridiculous at Homestead-Bayfront. Holy cow.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Lmao. $50 per launch? And I used to think $17 was ridiculous at Homestead-Bayfront. Holy cow.
    this is done to intentionally to deter non resident use. There are enough residents with boats to fill the marina every weekend.

Boat landing at Cherry Grove has ALL paid parking now. This had been a free ramp and parking for decades but several kayak tour companies began operating out of there and filling all of the parking so the made it paid. Never towed non-trailer vehicles in trailer spaces just went straight to charging. BTW tried to also revoke the operators business license. Getting tough. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by BET View Post
    I was told launching was free if you are a homeowner on the island, anyone know if that's true or not?

What I was told

We used to get a yearly pass but have not done that in few years.

That place does get very crowded on weekends during summer. Heck last summer did not even take my boat to IOP, rather fish spring and fall
    Last edited by tprice; 02-05-2023 at 10:42 AM.

Guide friend down there advises new owner putting in rental boats. I don’t know if ultimately he will but he basically doubled guides’ dockage and is raising ramp fee. The new fleet of rental boats should make the waterway much safer and more enjoyable. That and some asshole homeowners that want to stop public parking on state roads for beach access on the island should make the entire place just wonderful.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Charleston county needs a mega ramp somewhere around the Charleston harbor area. . Something like the Ft. Desoto ramp in pinellas county Florida would be ideal. I think you can launch 40 boats at a time there with ample parking, wash and fish cleaning station and trash cans of all things. Make it a 5$-$10 daily pass or a yearly county park pass like they do down there to pay for and upkeep it. Would of been a great thing to purchase and construct instead of buying that church property on James Island.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinadrifter View Post
    Charleston county needs a mega ramp somewhere around the Charleston harbor area. . Something like the Ft. Desoto ramp in pinellas county Florida would be ideal. I think you can launch 40 boats at a time there with ample parking, wash and fish cleaning station and trash cans of all things. Make it a 5$-$10 daily pass or a yearly county park pass like they do down there to pay for and upkeep it. Would of been a great thing to purchase and construct instead of buying that church property on James Island.

Agreed
    Last edited by tprice; 02-05-2023 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Duck View Post
    Guide friend down there advises new owner putting in rental boats. I don’t know if ultimately he will but he basically doubled guides’ dockage and is raising ramp fee. The new fleet of rental boats should make the waterway much safer and more enjoyable. That and some asshole homeowners that want to stop public parking on state roads for beach access on the island should make the entire place just wonderful.

Hell IOP is looking into becoming their own "republic" kind of like Key West Not sure how that is going

But you are right, in fact I think there was a class action suit regarding public parking

My parents moved off the island this fall after being their 40 years. I lived there until I was 18.
    It is a resort beach town and has lost all of its local attractiveness. Overrun and impossible to get on and off during the summer time. Very few locals. I still have a few family members out there but at one time my entire fathers side lived there. Was a great place to grow up and I miss how it used to be. I could take or leave ever going out there again.
    They lived on an interior street and for me to park in THEIR yard I had to put a parking pass in the window. The parking had gotten out of control though with nonresidents essentially parking anywhere their cars will fit. Public, private, anywhere. The barrier islands are a finite resource. It simply cant entertain everyone that comes from all over to be there at any given time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Boat landing at Cherry Grove has ALL paid parking now. This had been a free ramp and parking for decades but several kayak tour companies began operating out of there and filling all of the parking so the made it paid. Never towed non-trailer vehicles in trailer spaces just went straight to charging. BTW tried to also revoke the operators business license. Getting tough. MG
    This is becoming an issue where I run out of. Leaving 6+ jet skis tied to a public dock all day or keeping paddle boards/kayaks laid out in the ready lanes/ramp is an abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    This is becoming an issue where I run out of. Leaving 6+ jet skis tied to a public dock all day or keeping paddle boards/kayaks laid out in the ready lanes/ramp is an abuse.
    That's because kayakers are the cyclists of water. They think they own the place.

I always pull my kayak aside to let a boat back down the ramp before I go park my truck. I'll just give them a heads up that it's down there. They appreciate it as opposed to the kayakers leaving their crap around and blocking the lane for anyone backing a boat in.

New owners claim that the ultimate goal is to “increase the availability to water recreation for everybody.” They plan to expand the docks at IOP and increase the boat rentals. Total bullshit catered towards the transplants and tourists. They’re doing this at all the other marinas they’re buying. Basically trying to monopolize water access.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler