Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Missing SC duck hunter, maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    If I was wearing neoprene waders or a float coat or both I'd pray you'd find me alive after 9 minutes in cold water or at least find my body should I die from hypothermia. (odd that this fella wasn't wearing his waders while duck hunting and battling 4' seas but reportedly was wearing a float coat and he still vanished??? ) Folks ask why I (and others) run 100-200 yards off the rocks on the Mississippi river, one is to try to run the leeside of the wind and two, that's the first place to ditch the boat to avoid ending up in 47 degree water.

Fellas, please WEAR a bright safety orange life vest, attach one of the FREE keychain whistles that SCDNR Boating gives out to each life vest on your vessel and one step better, buy a life vest with reflective tape sewn in. I never could understand a camouflage life vest.....I want my kids, friends or myself to be seen from miles away.
    I’ll go a step farther. Not everyone is hunting the coast. I keep a pill bottle (because they are waterproof with seal) with regular matches or a lighter and some type of cotton or something. Just to start a fire if I’m in the situation. Have one 10 or so around me when I hunt. Meaning blind bag, coat, Waders, and boat.
    Last edited by Clippedtoe; 02-05-2023 at 12:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    I never could understand a camouflage life vest.....I want my kids, friends or myself to be seen from miles away.
    That reminds me of a convo I had with some fishing buddies (offshore). They were giving me shit about my yellow rain gear with reflectors while they had on the coolest black/grey camo stuff. Same argument can be made for blue/black bottom paint.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

This should have been linked to a post and question above...

I want to post this in response to this question, as I would have never thought about this had I not moved out west and started solo hunting in the backcountry. I bought a ZOLEO communication device after researching and realizing that it meets all my needs, and I highly recommend it to anyone that ever hunts by themselves in places where cell phone coverage is spotty or who ever hunts by themselves on the water.

It is a satellite device with an SOS button that easily hooks up to your phone via bluetooth. I attach it to myself with a carabiner, and If I fall and break my leg or if my boat is going down, I can hit one button and know that rescue will be on the way promptly to my precise location. If there is no cell coverage, I can simply open the app on my phone and text just like I would regularly text, and messages go out and are received back within 5-8 minutes if not immediately. You are assigned a ZOLEO phone number when you activate it, and that number does not change...supposedly, with other satellite communication devices like some of the In-Reach type devices, your "phone number" will change at some regular interval and/or when you shut the service down when you aren't using it for long periods of time. While that won't affect your ability to call out, it would require you to update your friends/family so that they can contact you.

Anyhoo, the number does not change as long as you keep service, and they offer an option to suspend your service for $4/month which allows you to keep that number; when its time to use the device again, you simply reactivate it with the data package you want. Unlimited data is $50/month, and the device itself is a very reasonable initial purchase. There are other features that are great regarding safety and automatically letting folks know where you are as your hunt progresses, and if you have one and something horrible happens to you, you will be found unless a bear eats you and spits out the device.
    Last edited by WhitewaterDuck; 02-05-2023 at 04:33 PM.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    This should have been linked to a post and question above...

I want to post this in response to this question, as I would have never thought about this had I not moved out west and started solo hunting in the backcountry. I bought a ZOLEO communication device after researching and realizing that it meets all my needs, and I highly recommend it to anyone that ever hunts by themselves in places where cell phone coverage is spotty or who ever hunts by themselves on the water.

It is a satellite device with an SOS button that easily hooks up to your phone via bluetooth. I attach it to myself with a carabiner, and If I fall and break my leg or if my boat is going down, I can hit one button and know that rescue will be on the way promptly to my precise location. If there is no cell coverage, I can simply open the app on my phone and text just like I would regularly text, and messages go out and are received back within 5-8 minutes if not immediately. You are assigned a ZOLEO phone number when you activate it, and that number does not change...supposedly, with other satellite communication devices like some of the In-Reach type devices, your "phone number" will change at some regular interval and/or when you shut the service down when you aren't using it for long periods of time. While that won't affect your ability to call out, it would require you to update your friends/family so that they can contact you.

Anyhoo, the number does not change as long as you keep service, and they offer an option to suspend your service for $4/month which allows you to keep that number; when its time to use the device again, you simply reactivate it with the data package you want. Unlimited data is $50/month, and the device itself is a very reasonable initial purchase. There are other features that are great regarding safety and automatically letting folks know where you are as your hunt progresses, and if you have one and something horrible happens to you, you will be found unless a bear eats you and spits out the device.
    I hunt alone too. I've scared myself a couple of times over the years. I always, always, always wear my life jacket when the motor's running or if I'm in water over my head. I always wear the kill switch unless I'm picking up or putting out decoys (because it would get tangled otherwise) and I carry one of these with me...

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

https://www.facebook.com/10000120483...ibextid=6aamW6

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

and always stay with the sinking or capsized boat, always.
    I have no idea if he is dead from an accident or pulling some criminal stuff but,
    his boat never sank and was found with less than 6 inches of water in it and towed in.
    His wallet and "personal belongings" were found offshore by a family member(s), hmmmm

This whole thing stinks. Either way, hopefully the guy is OK, and if wrong was done that justice gets served.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 02-05-2023 at 08:40 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I expect this kind of shit from a bunch of silly redneck bitches on Facebook, but grown ass men? The boy fell out of the boat into cold water and drowned, in the Atlantic Ocean, end of story.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I expect this kind of shit from a bunch of silly redneck bitches on Facebook, but grown ass men? The boy fell out of the boat into cold water and drowned, in the Atlantic Ocean, end of story.
    ^^^ this

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    and always stay with the sinking or capsized boat, always.
    I have no idea if he is dead from an accident or pulling some criminal stuff but,
    his boat never sank and was found with less than 6 inches of water in it and towed in.
    His wallet and "personal belongings" were found offshore by a family member(s), hmmmm
    Why do they insist with this "boat sank off the coast of" BS when the boat did not sink? Also, forget about survival skills ashore, where he was the only unpopulated stretch is Waites Island which can be walked in under an hour. With the flotsam and jetsam that wash ashore every day along the upper end of Long Bay, I am struggling with decoys and all of the other items not being found on the beach. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

F1D3F3F9-B1E0-4E34-A69E-0DD04DFC8ABD.jpg

This is where we go for our friends?
    When in doubt, shoot him again!

Work like it's all up to me, but pray, like it's all up to him!

I'm not going to pretend that I'd know what was proper or socially acceptable when I am grieving. I'd probably not give a fuck what anyone else thought and grasp at what I could.

That said, there's a whole bunch of random in all this and not much makes sense. Sure wish with all the attention it's gotten there would be some sort of statement. I've gotten a dozen conflicting reports from various individuals that are "close to the family" and it's all random AF.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/10000120483...ibextid=6aamW6

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    ^^^ this

Posted 13 hours apart. Pick a side dude,
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Posted 13 hours apart. Pick a side dude,
    Hot damn, I clicked on the Facebook link you quoted from Bunn ... that page is private, dedicated solely to the missing hunter. It has 76 THOUSAND members. That's a lot of drama loving white women.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    That's a lot of drama loving white women.
    Where you been? That's all white women watch on TV when there is not a new season of Housewives on. HA! MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Where you been? That's all white women watch on TV when there is not a new season of Housewives on. HA! MG
    They've moved on from Housewives, apparently it's this or the Murdaugh trial now. They're all professionally trained detectives as well.

Watching it on TV isn’t enough either. More than a few are traveling to sit in the gallery.

Middle class white women are the biggest detriment to freedom and America.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Middle class white women are the biggest detriment to freedom and America.
    Say it a little louder for those in the back.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

You think it was an accident the states put “male” in the original voting requirements.