Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ Side by side shotgun

Default CZ Side by side shotgun

Any body have a review on these? Was looking at their Sharp-tail model. Thinking about picking one up in 20 gauge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I've shot the 12 ga model. They kick like a Missouri mule. They felt cheap and when I spoke folks about them some had issues out of the box. Made in Turkey. I passed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    I've shot the 12 ga model. They kick like a Missouri mule. They felt cheap and when I spoke folks about them some had issues out of the box. Made in Turkey. I passed.
    What side by side would you recommend under $1500?
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

My buddy I bird hunt with has sent his back for repair a few times. Both barrels would fire at once was the first issue. They fixed it so it only happens every so often now.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    They fixed it so it only happens every so often now.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Big money, get that 486 Parello in 28ga.

One day I'll have one.

Cali has one in 28ga that he really likes
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I was looking at the Sharptail Target model. I’d like to shoot clays like the old guys at Backwoods. Maybe get me some tweed and a hat with pheasant feathers in it.

Beretta quit making the Parallelo I believe. I’ve got a ton of old SXS guns, just worry about modern pressures in them.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
    Big money, get that 486 Parello in 28ga.

One day I'll have one.
    Yea those are pretty but I don't think I want to spend that much. I guess I could take my kid out of private school for a year but I don't think the wife would go for that.
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

I've got the Canvasback (I think) in 20ga.

I really like it.

It's a little tight, but seems to be getting right the more I shoot it.

It's my goofy ass dove field gun and it kills the shit out of them. So, for the money, I ain't mad.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    My buddy I bird hunt with has sent his back for repair a few times. Both barrels would fire at once was the first issue. They fixed it so it only happens every so often now.
    Buddy of mine had the exact same experience.

I bought the CZ Bobwhite Intermediate in 20 gauge last Spring. I think it was around $650 after tax. I've had no issues with it, and it shoots very naturally for me. The wood is quality for what it is, and finish just doesn't rust. Took a while for the break open action to loosen up and smooth out, but I knew that before I got it. I've shot around 1000 clays, a couple quail hunts, and I shot a lot of wood ducks with it running Boss shot shells. Great little gun. Glad I bought it.
    Last edited by pluffmudder; 02-03-2023 at 10:04 AM.

I had a 28 Ga Bobwhite G2 for a short time a few years ago. It had double triggers. The gun was heavy for a 28 Ga even being built on a proper frame. The trigger pulls were heavier than the total gun weight. I traded it off within a year. I will not have another.

I ended up buying a Fabarm Lion side by side. It was originally made by H & K. Got a smoking deal on it. $1500. The guy contacted me months later and wanted to buy it back. Since I had just won the side by side event at Nationals with it, I was not interested in selling it.

If I were to buy another side by side, I would be looking pretty hard for a Browning BSS. Anything new that's gonna be decent quality is gonna be above $3k.

I would buy a copy of Best Guns by Michael McIntosh. It's a book! Read the section on doubles made in the US and you will realize that what they made 100 years ago still kills birds because of the workmanship that went into them. I think those guns are worth looking into if you are considering buying a SXS... good field-grade model can be had from $700 to $1500...LC Smith, Parker, LeFever, Ithaca etc. The downside is you would need to shoot lighter loads (RST makes these), and you don't get the option for screw-in chokes. These old guns will hold their value, too.
    At least I'm housebroken.

I bought a pretty SxS from Ned years ago. I have only shot it a couple of times because it's so pretty.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    I ended up buying a Fabarm Lion side by side. It was originally made by H & K. Got a smoking deal on it. $1500. The guy contacted me months later and wanted to buy it back. Since I had just won the side by side event at Nationals with it, I was not interested in selling it.

If I were to buy another side by side, I would be looking pretty hard for a Browning BSS. Anything new that's gonna be decent quality is gonna be above $3k.
    I’ve got a 12 and 20 BSS both with 26” tubes. Those are quail killing machines. Probably not very good on a clays course though.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

For a cheap SxS the Tristar Bristol is worth a look. I don't shoot SxS guns, but have shot that gun in 20 on a handful of hunts. It felt tight, shouldered and swung well, and was easy to carry all day in upland woods. Overall it felt a lot more "smooth" than other cheap SxS, if that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I’ve got a 12 and 20 BSS both with 26” tubes. Those are quail killing machines. Probably not very good on a clays course though.
    There is a 20 on GunBroker right now, that looks to be in outstanding shape.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    For a cheap SxS the Tristar Bristol is worth a look. I don't shoot SxS guns, but have shot that gun in 20 on a handful of hunts. It felt tight, shouldered and swung well, and was easy to carry all day in upland woods. Overall it felt a lot more "smooth" than other cheap SxS, if that makes sense.
    Thanks, that’s another one I was looking at.