Thread: Clearfield sunflowers

Default Clearfield sunflowers

Any one tried Clearfield sunflowers after pre application of imazapyr?
    Last edited by centurian; 02-02-2023 at 08:02 PM.

I would absolutely not use imazapyr in the dove field. There are better options available. I do not think the sunflowers will grow at all.

Timber land and it has already been sprayed so i have no choice in the herbicide. It is soil active for 5-8 months after application so i may be past the expected life time. BASF list Clear Field sunflower and Clear Field Rice as acceptable for pretreat and post treatment with imazapyr. I guess like Monsanto's round up ready beans. They are very expensive though. I may plant a test plot with regular SF just to see what will happen
    Last edited by centurian; 02-03-2023 at 08:23 AM.

If it was sprayed in august and you plant in late April, you may be fine. But I have found that if game plots get sprayed with forestry chemicals it will stunt whatever you plant the following year. There was some oust probably in the spray mix. Oust will prevent most everything from growing until late summer. It’ll be dirt and baby pine trees the first growing season.

Thanks BT. The timber Co said 5-8 months after spray but also if i waited time October 23 i should be ok to plant in the area. I have some areas that have not bee sprayed but the intent is to plant those areas next winter so i am sure they will be sprayed before the fall and i am afraid they will kill the SF. Even saying that the Clear Field variety is supposed to work with imazapyr so i don't know. They are $225 a bag though.