Thread: Habitat

Default Habitat

So looking at some different methods to increase the habitat on a small tract and came across this.

https://www.dnr.sc.gov/wildlife/quail/QuailBrochure.pdf

Has anyone read through this and is the material in it actually useful? Seems to have some good information but I am new to most of this. I have a sections of about 30 to 40 acres I and wanting to manage a little better this year and wanting to treat more sweet-gum and attract more wildlife to this area. I am wanting to establish some better quail habitat as I am sure this will also trickle into better habitat for deer and other wildlife.

Thoughts and information would be much appreciated.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Control burns are the most cost effective management tool I can think of. Rode by one of the public quail management areas the other day and it looked beautiful and was still smoking.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Bicolor patches provide good cover/food

Bicolor sucks....manage native veg and stay away from invasive bullshit like this.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Burning is best way to stimulate seedbank

MC is offline Daydreamer Extraordinaire

Yes, that is a pretty good brochure with current management recommendations based on current research. If you are serious about making improvements to your habitat it is worth the time to have a professional come out and look at your land and make recommendations for your specific situation. SCDNR, Tall Timbers, South Carolina Bobwhite Initiative are all trying to find ways to get more habitat on the landscape and will either help you, or refer you to someone who can. It's worthwhile to identify what is going to be most effective before you take off investing money and sweat equity into something that may not pay the best dividends in your specific situation. They can also help you set realistic expectations.

My property borders Brosnan Forest. They have around 15,000 acres of Long Leaf that they burn regularly. Their woods are beautiful but there are damn near zero wild quail.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Bicolor sucks....manage native veg and stay away from invasive bullshit like this.
    Racist alert******

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    My property borders Brosnan Forest. They have around 15,000 acres of Long Leaf that they burn regularly. Their woods are beautiful but there are damn near zero wild quail.
    but they grow a great stand of ferns under those pine trees
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Yep,...but it's amazing the bullshit they were pushing years ago is now bad.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    but they grow a great stand of ferns under those pine trees
    This is a serious question and I have no forestry background whatsoever.

Not sure if the fern reference is sarcastic or not but is there a way manipulate or diversify the understory of a long leaf stand being managed with fire regularly? Soil/seed disturbance coupled with fire?
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

Quote Originally Posted by sc sportsman View Post
    This is a serious question and I have no forestry background whatsoever.

Not sure if the fern reference is sarcastic or not but is there a way manipulate or diversify the understory of a long leaf stand being managed with fire regularly? Soil/seed disturbance coupled with fire?
    The best way would be altering the timing of a controlled burn or disking.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

climbing fern likes fire.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Brosnan does a lot of game management but still doesn't have much luck with quail. I can always find their property when I fly over it because it is pockmarked with food plots.
    brosnan aerial view.JPG

A tree is just a place for a hawk so sit in.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    A tree is just a place for a hawk so sit in.
    Fact! I sure wish it was legal to shoot those bastards still!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.