Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marathon in April

Default Marathon in April

Hey guys,
    Planned a very last minute trip for my daughters spring break. Headed down with a few adults and 4 kids 2nd week of april. Got a house with dock and rented a 26 ft CC. I have been looking around on web, youtube, charts, etc to get a feel for it as much as I can. Primary objectives are to snorkel and fish with kids but may end up with a day or two to fish a little harder with or without them. I know not ideal timing for closed seasons on different species and lobster but any recommendations to lower the learning curve and maximize my time down there would be greatly appreciated. I haven’t been in probably 20 years aside from a quick mostly work trip 5 years ago.

I have a good bit of mixed fishing gear and I plan on bringing some but not all of it. Couldn’t fit it all in my truck if I wanted. I will likely throw some scuba gear in but the issue there is that no one else will dive (only one other certified) more than likely and I am going to be responsible for the boat and overall safety of whoever is on it. If nothing else I might scuba some while others snorkel. Might try to target some tarpon and snook but wouldn’t mind getting on some eating fish near or offshore. Bottom dwellers or wahoo, dolphin. Feel free to respond here or PM if you would prefer. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weather may be hit or miss then. Could be windy. Could be great.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Tarpon will definitely be there

There will be tarpon stacked up in every piling under every bridge, drifting live crabs to them is pretty easy. Find the birds find the fish offshore, also really easy. If you troll a black worm looking rig on flouro at the marathon hump with the 200 other people that are there on a nice day you can catch 100 blackfin tuna pretty quick. We would only pull 4 lines because every time we hook up we catch at least 2 or 3. Ill pm you a link to that bait.

The wind in April is the biggest concern. It kicked our ass last time we were there. Tarpon in the passes. Great backwater opportunities if you can get there but might be tough in a 26CC.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Appreciate the info fellas. Weather is certainly always a concern. Family decided over last weekend hey we are going to go to the keys with the kids for spring break. I said I would go but only under the condition of having a house with dock and a boat the whole time so here we are.

We will also be down there that week. We typically go down twice a year. feel free to send me a PM and ill shoot over my cell number. I can give you tons of options even if it is windy.

The sandbar between the State Park and Coco Plum is a good spot to hangout. Sombrero Lighthouse is good for snorkeling too!
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    There will be tarpon stacked up in every piling under every bridge, drifting live crabs to them is pretty easy. Find the birds find the fish offshore, also really easy. If you troll a black worm looking rig on flouro at the marathon hump with the 200 other people that are there on a nice day you can catch 100 blackfin tuna pretty quick. We would only pull 4 lines because every time we hook up we catch at least 2 or 3. Ill pm you a link to that bait.
    7 or 8 inch weighted Sand Eels in black and/or purple. 40# flouro fished 150 yds back. Throw a couple cedar plugs out with them as well.

Looe Key Sanctuary has mooring balls to tie to, 7-40' and loads of marine life to see.
    May not be ok but a big bag of dog food, little pieces, will put a zillion yellowtails off the stern.
    Maybe a few 'cudas too.
    Really fun if snorkeling thru them.
    Out deep wahoo & dolfin easy targets until water temp goes above 83 (mid to late May).
    Bring a cast net.

That boat will be extremely limiting in the backcountry. There is some nuance to bridge and pass fishing to get hit. Also lots of unwritten rules, if it’s not something you have done before you are likely to catch an ass chewing.

I would get a guide for the few days you are looking to fish hard, then a kayak and hit up the canals, especially dock lights at night, to scratch the daily itch.

Use the boat rental to do whatever the kids want.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    That boat will be extremely limiting in the backcountry. There is some nuance to bridge and pass fishing to get hit. Also lots of unwritten rules, if it’s not something you have done before you are likely to catch an ass chewing.

I would get a guide for the few days you are looking to fish hard, then a kayak and hit up the canals, especially dock lights at night, to scratch the daily itch.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post

Yep I wasnt intending to hit the backcountry this trip unless I get a guide for a day. Gulf side definitely looks trickier on charts.
    I have fished and been on the water my entire life. Im not worried about pissing anyone off nor encroaching on anyone fishing. I have fished tampa bridge, bridges all over in the past, and all up and down east coast and understand how to give people room.
    Doubt we will get kayaks unless kids want them. Kayaking and kayak fishing has never really been my thing unless whitewater.

Enjoy it. I’ll recommend Burdine’s for a great burger (and beer) just south of Marathon. Nice boat trip depending on the wind. Easy car ride as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Yep I wasnt intending to hit the backcountry this trip unless I get a guide for a day. Gulf side definitely looks trickier on charts.
    I have fished and been on the water my entire life. Im not worried about pissing anyone off nor encroaching on anyone fishing. I have fished tampa bridge, bridges all over in the past, and all up and down east coast and understand how to give people room.
    Doubt we will get kayaks unless kids want them. Kayaking and kayak fishing has never really been my thing unless whitewater.

It's the people fishing off the bridges that can be the biggest pain in the ass. I had to cut steel leader and leads out the prop several times as they insist on fishing dead center of the cuts.
    Last edited by Goin Coastal; 02-02-2023 at 05:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    It's the people fishing off the bridges that can be the biggest pain in the ass. I had to cut steel leader and leads out the prop several times as they insist on fishing dead center of the cuts.
    Bring a decent set of cutting tools. Got it. Thanks!!

Eat at LazyDays at least once. Hogfish with Key Lime butter.

Robbie's for the Lobster Frittata.

If your house is on a canal, you can wear out the Mangrove Snapper. Good eats too.

If weather affects the fishing - Sea Turtle rescue place and the Theater of the Sea are a couple diversions to keep the group occupied for a few hours.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Are the sails around there that time of year? Would be cool to catch one on a kite.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

PM sent, we will be fishing out of Big Pine that week.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Are the sails around there that time of year? Would be cool to catch one on a kite.
    I imagine there will be some. I don’t have all the gear for it and will have a relatively inexperienced group on board so don’t plan on doing any kite fishing this trip.

I'll be fishing out of little torch key that week.

Pretty much the known stuff for Marathon has been said...Hump for blackfin, bridges for tarpon, snorkle at Sombrero, chum for mangroves in cuts/grass (current is your friend). Grouper and lobster seasons are closed, but it's prime tarpon, cobia and dolphin will be around. It's a long run from Marathon, but I made a few trips back to the content keys that were worth it, bonefish and tarpon on the flats...

Pray the wind doesn't blow...last year we had sustained 25 mph winds for 6 of the 7 days we were there.