Thread: 297 Days

Default 297 Days

297 days from today until we get to do it again. Blessing and a curse when it ends like it did yesterday afternoon. Ready to go again today but I don't think my body would let me. Time to start training the new puppy and getting gear ready for the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Hope everyone had a great season and learned a lot this year. I consider the end of duck season as my actual New Year so how about we actually discuss ducks more on a duck hunting forum this year?

To start, what will be the short term effects on hunting the AGFC lands where they are heavily thinning dead/dying trees? It needs to happen, we did the inventory of Bayou Meto several years ago and I saw what the water was doing to the trees, same as several other WMA's but how will all that brushy vegetation that will flourish with open canopy change the hunting? A different WMA is set to thin by almost half the trees. Long term it will help the ducks, will they also use the additional cover provided by scrub vegetation?
    For the ducks

Didn't really hit flood stage out there all season....today it will. Hopefully it doesn't stay above flood until july/august like it has in past years.

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    297 days from today until we get to do it again. Blessing and a curse when it ends like it did yesterday afternoon. Ready to go again today but I don't think my body would let me. Time to start training the new puppy and getting gear ready for the Saturday after Thanksgiving. Hope everyone had a great season and learned a lot this year. I consider the end of duck season as my actual New Year so how about we actually discuss ducks more on a duck hunting forum this year?

To start, what will be the short term effects on hunting the AGFC lands where they are heavily thinning dead/dying trees? It needs to happen, we did the inventory of Bayou Meto several years ago and I saw what the water was doing to the trees, same as several other WMA's but how will all that brushy vegetation that will flourish with open canopy change the hunting? A different WMA is set to thin by almost half the trees. Long term it will help the ducks, will they also use the additional cover provided by scrub vegetation?
    I know that feeling,my degenerative disc caused me to miss out this season.i hope i can go this next season God willing.But until then,ill just watch and enjoy ducks at my local ponds.

I got 2 more days to hunt. Fat lady ain't sang just yet...

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Only have to set aside 4 bucks a day between then and now to get some new waders. Tell the wife to start drinking Folgers and kick Starbucks to the curb...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Only have to set aside 4 bucks a day between then and now to get some new waders. Tell the wife to start drinking Folgers and kick Starbucks to the curb...
    You can get a helluva deal on used ones right now. The flat billers are having to pay off the credik card bills and are liquidating the shitka and the cheney stuff on the FB pages
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 02-01-2023 at 03:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

No joke. They are everywhere for sale

Quote Originally Posted by Quack07 View Post
    No joke. They are everywhere for sale
    “Like new, only worn on 5 hunts”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    You can get a helluva deal on used ones right now. The flat billers are having to pay off the credik card bills and are liquidating the shitka and the cheney stuff on the FB pages
    Same as it ever was...

My personal favorite is the boats listed for 5-10k more than they are worth. Just because you beat the crap out of it and dented the hull all season doesn't make it worth gold.
    For the ducks

One thing I noticed this year is the true problem with public land hunting. It isn't the OOS hunters, they are for the most part better than the in-state guys I've been around. The only arguments I got in this year were with locals. It's the young crowd that doesn't respect the birds they hunt and the Dr. Duck crowd that is showing them that way. Their father's don't hunt or showed them the same ways so they follow the crowd. Kill a pile at all cost, don't worry about decoying them. Tree topping ducks, holding a bunch of holes to have your pick just before shooting time, not respecting other groups around you when calling, and my personal favorite...throwing your birds in a ditch or logging deck when you finish taking your pile pics. I've got pics of dead birds on our properties that will make any of you sick and are wonderful ammo for the anti-hunting crowd. The disrespect of fellow hunters, the land, and the birds they are hunting is alarming.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    The disrespect of fellow hunters, the land, and the birds they are hunting is alarming.
    Again, same as it ever was...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Again, same as it ever was...
    Ain't that the truth.

226 days til early teal!!!
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill