Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New leverguns

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    A few of the links I hit when I goggled "8.6 blackout" cite a 1:3" twist. One is wikipedia, which wouldn't surprise me if it was wrong. Another, though, is Faxonfirearms.com who sell barrels and would conceivably know the truth. I haven't had a chance to read the link, only the abstract blurb on the search results page.

My 300 blk has a 1:8" twist.
    Not to sideline the lever action thread but you caught my interest enough to look. A nice lever gun has always been on my want list.

Here is a link on this 8.6blk:

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/8-6...cartridge/?amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is 1:3. Yes, it is stupid fast twist.

I have 2 builds going I'm doing. Both are Faxon barrels. 1 is gonna be a strictly Sub-sonic gun at 8" the other will be a Super at 12". Both are gas guns. in theory you can run either (sub or super) in the same barrel. That said there are some complications that seem to be rectified by using an adjustable gas block.
    Ive had my test platform set up which will run both but it is a tad rough with super sonic with the gas block set where it is.
    I've been out in front with a bunch of the projectile manufactures, and some of us that have been making our own cartridges.

The original "Fix" Kevin took to Africa was an 10" barrel. I really wish Faxon had made one of those. I think that would be the sweet spot barrel. After spending many a phone call with Faxon their reasoning was the 8" worked better in their testing with subs and 12" justified the extra 2" for FPS gain.

One problem with that and the 16" barrel is some of the sub-sonic projectiles being made cant not be fired super-sonic through a suppressor, or it will come apart. Bad things happen when that happens. Some of the cartridges being made will go super in an 12"-16" barrels.

To answer someone earlier in the thread, yes most of the projectiles are solid copper. There are some of the core-lock style that will work as subsonic, but dont like super. It seems to be brand to brand. The fast twist actually strips the jacket off many of the brands out there.
    Last edited by Silentweapon338; 02-01-2023 at 09:08 AM.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

I have always had a preference for a model 94 over a 336 because the 94 has a straight stock that I find points more naturally and comes up on target more easily. The 336 is easier to mount a scope on but I never considered a 30/30 to be a cartridge that needs a scope due to its relatively limited range. Indeed, the main reason I use a 30/30 is for a quick handling brush gun, not a bean field or open field shooter.

The 1894 has the straight stock too. The 1:38" twist sounds odd to me. It doesn't make even one rotation in the length of the barrel. It surprises me a heavy bullet can be stabilized with such a slow twist.

The change to a flat top receiver/side eject is touted to enhance the ability to mount a scope. I can't think of a good reason to put a scope on a rifle shooting 44 Magnum but at least the side eject lowers the chance of a red hot casing falling down your shirt. I'm certainly not anti-scope and might would consider a micro dot scope on one to keep from having to simultaneously focus on three things at different distances. Getting old and having failing vision sucks!

Your reasoning on the twist is why I pointed it out, I got side tracked over the 8.6, but must of all the .44 stuff has been 1:20 for some time now. At least that I have scene come through. But doing quick match while I was driving and reading the review is what made me pause. I was thinking what you said, you dang near have a smooth bore cannon. With a 20" barrel it is only getting half a turn, before exiting the barrel.

If you use this chart you can get an idea what the FPS would be by looking at the Henry 20" but it is a 1:20" twist.
    http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/44mag.html

I was shocked what the Ft-Lbs @ 100 yards was only 910 when I ran the ballistics with a. 240gr projo. I would have thought it would have substantially more.
    Yup, he's crazy...

like a fox. The dude may be coming in a little too hard and crazy but 90% of everything he says is correct.

Sort of like Toof. But way smarter.
    ~Scatter Shot

A 336 in .35 Remington topped with a fixed 4x Leopold launching 200 grain Sierras is a killing machine.

The original 1894s had a 1:38 twist. I could be wrong, but I think that's been the "standard" twist rate for 44 mag since Jesus was a baby. Some folks(Henry, Ruger) went with 1:20, I think the Rossi 92 is a 1:30. I don't shoot anything heavier than a 240gr bullet, so I think I'll be perfectly happy with the 1:38 if I can get my hands on one.
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

IO did some looking around last night on twist rate. The comment mad 1/2 a twist before i leave the barrel. Most of the revolvers are 1:16 or 18 or 20 so same for them i guess.