Thread: Another jaw bone aging

Default Another jaw bone aging

CB4B1C39-334E-4B34-8FC6-F460649455E2.jpg

Whackums thread reminded me of this. Curious to what some of y’all age this one at.

You can't age a Jawbone like that. You write down five plus on your data sheet and move forward. Best you can do is cut out the incisors and send them aoff for cementum annuli aging if you really want to know. For what it is worth, I have sent incisors off from jawbones not so dissimilar from that one that came back as 12 years old.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 01-30-2023 at 01:54 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    You can't age a Jawbone like that. You write down five plus on your data sheet and move forward. Best you can do is cut out the incisors and send them aoff for cementum annuli aging if you really want to know. For what it is worth, I have sent incisors off from jawbones not so dissimilar from that one that came back as 12 years old.
    I plan to send them off at some point and see what they say.

It's crazy how a buck can get that old on a piece of highly pressured public ground.

Which one was it?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

4C01A058-27AD-4656-870A-AB62FDB83065.jpg

One from 2021.

I’m kicking myself for not pulling the jaw bones out of a couple of this seasons bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post

One from 2021.

I’m kicking myself for not pulling the jaw bones out of a couple of this seasons bucks.
    Like Cali said, just cut the bottom two front teeth out in the future. Much less labor intensive and reliable than pulling jaw bones and looking at tooth wear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Like Cali said, just cut the bottom two front teeth out in the future. Much less labor intensive and reliable than pulling jaw bones and looking at tooth wear.
    No, I did not say to just cut the incisors out.
    Jawbone tooth wear agings is still a great tool for whitetail management.

or more! 12-15yrs old...

takes a helluva skilled hunter to kill a doe like that with a bow.

just sayin
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Toofer truth...

I guess I misunderstood this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

My point was, for excessively old deer (as determined by tooth wear) by which you cannot estimate an age CA would be the only way to accurately determine age.
    Tooth wear is generally pretty accurate out to 5.5 years old...anything beyond that is a stab in the dark based on tooth wear of course.

Appreciate the insight Scott, I’ll pull the incisors and send them in.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    or more! 12-15yrs old...

takes a helluva skilled hunter to kill a doe like that with a bow.

just sayin
    That sounds like a nightmare to get drawn back on.