Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Home Security cameras

Default Home Security cameras

I am ready to install some cameras around the house. I ran the Cat 5 cables when we built the house in case I decided to go the POE direction but we are also getting ready to get Fiber optic internet installed in about two weeks so I will also have excellent wifi capabilities. Looking for recommendations on what you folks are running around your house.

Stick with the Poe
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I have really been impressed with the Blink system from amazon for the money
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Alibi Security. I've put in tons of them and never had a real problem. They are priced competitively and tech support has always been great. They are base out of Austin, Tx. When you call tech support, you talk to Texas, not India. That's worth a lot. You'll probably never need tech support anyway unless you're integrating systems.

Ring cameras are good. Have several friends that went that route. We went with CPI just before Christmas and got 2 free cameras and I added a third. I couldn’t be happier. However, I gather that’s not exactly what you are looking for at this time.
    Last edited by Clippedtoe; 01-30-2023 at 08:49 AM.

I have had WYZE cameras for many years, and they have served me well. They are inexpensive (less that $50 each), high quality, and have all of the cloud services that I am looking for with a security system. MG
    Dum Spiro Spero

I usually suggest the 3 pack of the larger ring cameras plus the doorbell cam if you can get them at a good price.

I have Arlo. Works off Wi-Fi no cables to deal with. Down side I have to charge them I guess every 6-7 weeks. They are 3 years old on original batteries. The videos are saved for one week. No subscription plan. You can pay a little for additional storage. I liked them so well I put them in my brothers house, my sisters house and my parents. With a click on the phone in notifications I can turn the alerts on and off. When we are home I turn notifications off so the phone doesn’t go off every time one of us go outside.

Any of these cameras are probably decent. Before I retired we worked a case where a lady called 911 and said she was at work watching someone on camera breaking into her house and carrying out two guns. We were there in minutes but the guy was gone. While at work the lady was able to send me the video through a text. Within minutes of the burglary we were able to take a screenshot of the guy and show it to neighbors and an employee at a convenience store nearby. In short order we had a name and address.

You can also look into Amcrest cameras.

Thats what we installed at the office last year and they work well also.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I have a Lorex system at the farm. DIY install. I have 6 cameras and have room to expand to 18 if needed. Can monitor on your phone using their app. Does everything I need it to do.

I have a combination of Blink and game cameras for my property. I’ve contemplated a hardwired system with remote access but what I have has worked well over the past few years. I’ll add Blink is very user friendly.
    “Get out among the mountains and trees, friend, as soon as you can. They will do more for you than either man or woman could.” Theodore Roosevelt to John Muir after his wife's passing in 1905.

X2 for lorex. I've installed 5 systems. Around 40 cameras total over the past 8 or 9 years. Get the best cameras you can afford to go outside.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Redleg Camo View Post
    X2 for lorex. I've installed 5 systems. Around 40 cameras total over the past 8 or 9 years. Get the best cameras you can afford to go outside.

x3 here for Lorex. I have installed systems at out main building, and both of our historic houses. Great system. I have about 30 cameras on the main building system. Their customer service knows what they are doing, and will get you set up with what you need.

I have a Reolink 8 camera POE system. I wanted a hard wired system so it would record when wifi is down. Running the cat6 was the only challenge. System setup was easy and does what I need it to do. Great video. My system has been in 3 or so years. My 1st NVR lost a couple of channels within the 1st year and they sent me a new one. Good value for the money. I would buy it again.

Can the Lorex system be monitored by a service?

We've got a couple of Rings. The original ones we had, the camera wasn't the best and at times very blurry if taking a video.

The replacements the wife ordered last year are leaps and bounds better. Very clear and crisp. They do what we need them to do. Also just had fiber internet installed and no issues.

Whaler Dave is your man.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

x4 on Lorex. Only downside is no audio, at least with my system.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Can the Lorex system be monitored by a service?
    I do not believe so. It is sold as a self install/self user system. They do have an app where you can view it remotely from anywhere. So one could set a service up with the app and they would have the ability to monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    x4 on Lorex. Only downside is no audio, at least with my system.
    Depends on what cameras/system you have. I have some with, some without audio.