Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Trashpanda talley

I second the train station

8 dogproofs arrive from fedex tomorrow. Tim to kill some egg eaters

Seven coons and nine possums. Only trap weekends.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Got a possum this morning bent the heck out the pan. FYI anyone wanting to get into trapping the bridgers 1.75 are pretty decently made traps the economy #2 Bridgers not so much. The Mb-550's are pretty dang solid traps with the right steaks.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

I'm starting this weekend.

My tally is usually much higher by this time of year. They're wise to the marshmellows and honey. I've switched to catfood.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by everlast View Post
    Newb question but what do you do with the coons after? Pelts?
    Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.
    ~Josey Wales
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    I've got quite the collection of Sumter toothpicks.

Quite a few folks will buy every single one with a smile. These folks eat them.
    It's that or train station drop off, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Quite a few folks will buy every single one with a smile. These folks eat them.
    Old friend from HS loves 'em. He says if you're having company for supper, you have to carve the meat out in advance or "you'll have a fucked up, humped-back-lookin-poodle staring at your guests."

I've been wanting to try possum ever since Roscoe Brown camped by that guys creek and watched him cleaning one for dinner. I think I'll give raccoon a try instead.
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    -Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    My tally is usually much higher by this time of year. They're wise to the marshmellows and honey. I've switched to catfood.
    Sprinkle some grape Kool aid mix over them marshmallows and sharpen your knife- you're going to need it.
    "Mother Nature and Father Time- still undefeated."

Slow start, but a start nonetheless
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Put traps out yesterday afternoon. Three coons caught on first night that I can see on the cameras. Check/dispatch trip after work. Canned tuna, cat food, cornmeal, and coon lure for bait.

I’m at 4 and a possum. I am staying at the farm Thurs-Sun, so it should heat up
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

I’m at 4 and a possum. I am staying at the farm Thurs-Sun, so it should heat up

Last edited by Gourmet Gobbler; 02-07-2023 at 07:22 AM. Reason: Added pic

The tally is now 6 coons after four days. Pretty good start.

Add 2 more from our crew.

Last nights catch...

Beware the free stuff...

Because it's usually a trap...

Last edited by Glenn; 02-10-2023 at 04:02 PM.

Good non rubbed hide, I'll skin, freeze then drop the whole batch at the tannery.

Got hats for the kids being made. Hand warmer/muffler for the wife.