Thread: Electric Fence - Approximate Cost??

Default Electric Fence - Approximate Cost??

We’re considering fencing in the dove field (or at least a part of it) for this coming year.

Does anyone have a rough breakdown of what to expect cost wise per linear foot for a pretty standard solar powered electric fence?
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I spent about $1500 for a 10 acre field. I can send you the list of matierls

5 ft hog wire, and 3 electric strands above that.
    Windows Down!

Can you send the supply list to me too?

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    5 ft hog wire, and 3 electric strands above that.
    The deer or anything else you are trying to shock have to be touching the ground and the electric wire at the same time. Any electric wire above 4 feet is useless in my opinion. I’ve got 3 hot wires spaced on the bottom then 4 strands of baling twine above that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

deer ain’t got to be on the ground to be “grounded” that’s what the wires are for.
    Windows Down!

I use T-post for corners and mid point of long runs, plastic posts every 30 ft., 1/2in ribbon on outside run and 2 strands of galvanized wire on inside run. 8ft ground rod. In my opinion don’t go cheap on energizer! I use a 12v unit and swap out deep cycle batteries every 2-3 weeks. Not sure of total cost off top of my head but it wasn’t that bad outside of the $300 energizer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Electric Fence - Approximate Cost??

Solar energizers aren’t worth a damn unless you get the $400+ units. ( I use them on my chicken pastures.)

Go 12v with deep cycle battery for dove field.

Last edited by Johnny Reb; 01-28-2023 at 10:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    Yes, send me a copy of that list when you get a chance please

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Reb View Post

I use T-post for corners and mid point of long runs, plastic posts every 30 ft., 1/2in ribbon on outside run and 2 strands of galvanized wire on inside run. 8ft ground rod. In my opinion don’t go cheap on energizer! I use a 12v unit and swap out deep cycle batteries every 2-3 weeks. Not sure of total cost off top of my head but it wasn’t that bad outside of the $300 energizer.

Good info, thank you

I ran a fourth strand of ribbon above my 3-wire fence attached to the ground circuit on the solar charger. Just wrapped a time or two around each t-post. Makes a solid ground and kept a few 200lb+ hogs in check.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungBuckTX View Post
    Might give sunflowers a try again this year, Can you send me this list also.

Solar energizers aren’t worth a damn unless you get the $400+ units. ( I use them on my chicken pastures.)

Go 12v with deep cycle battery for dove field.

You know you can’t be attaching that to that pole. Just make sure you use your own ground and don’t attach to the pole ground. Any fault on the power system will be trying to make it to ground. Easy way to burn the charger up. Especially hard on the ac models but not as bad on the dc models. Had a buddy that wouldn’t listen to me. Had another friend that’s an electrician tell him to use it. I kept telling him not to. First good lightning storm his box was burned up. I grounded his next one like I wanted to originally and it’s been going strong for 5 plus years. I stacked 4-8’ rods on top of each other and put down 3 sets of them 10’ apart.

It wasn't "attached" to the pole. Energizer was attached to the black wooden weather shield I built and drove down beside the pole. I was using the pole as a shield to make it harder for people riding down the road to see it and want to steal the energizer and battery. It was on its own 8ft. ground rod you can barely see in left of the picture.

I know you know where this is....I'm not planting this field for doves anymore...just deer corn. I moved dove field to my larger field in the back.

It wasn't "attached" to the pole. Energizer was attached to the black wooden weather shield I built and drove down beside the pole. I was using the pole as a shield to make it harder for people riding down the road to see it and want to steal the energizer and battery. It was on its own 8ft. ground rod you can barely see in left of the picture.

I know you know where this is....I'm not planting this field for doves anymore...just deer corn. I moved dove field to my larger field in the back.
    I was just messing with you about the pole. Just wanted to make sure you didn’t attach to the ground for the protection of the box. It’s a great ground until a fault happens on the line specially in all that sand. A fault can travel a long ways until it’s bleed off in the sand.