Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: Cheap Car Insurance for 1996 Bronco

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    141

    Default Cheap Car Insurance for 1996 Bronco

    Hoping to tap into the brain trust on insurance. I've got a 1996 bronco that I've had since highschool that just sits in my garage because its not insured. I used to have it insured by American Collector's Insurance for about $500/year with full coverage, but now they won't insure an SUV thats not "showroom condition" and taken to car shows.

    Anybody got a lead on cheap insurance that provides good protection for a car of this age? I just want to drive it once or twice a month to keep up its health and probably wouldnt see even 1000 miles a year. State farm wants to charge me what they charge for my 2018 gmc daily driver

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    'Down in the Holler', SC
    Posts
    13,995

    Default

    Whatever you do, stay away from Safeco, Liberty Mutual and Progressive. Between my own poor experience, and similar stories from others nearby, they are the devil's spawn.

    If you're a military Vet, look up USAA. Otherwise, here's a good article... https://www.caranddriver.com/car-ins...or-older-cars/
    .
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    .
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

    "If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mt. Pleasant
    Posts
    1,778

    Default

    Full coverage and the age will be costly. I have a 92 wrangler that I finally admitted about 7 or 8 years ago that it just needs liability.. Any hit it takes is going to total it solely based on the price and lack of parts available to fix it with. I have it insured liability only, with the knowledge that if it is totaled, I will buy it back anyway to rebuild it myself. I assume they would give me less than $2k for it by book value... And I know I could almost get that for it in parts if it was totaled.

    I have it insured with Travelers, as a pleasure vehicle, $125/yr
    Last edited by Fireman; 01-24-2023 at 01:40 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    524

    Default

    Have your State Farm agent submit a request for agreed value under their antique classic evaluation (being its over 25 years old). There is a form they can send you to fill out and submit pictures. They should be able to provide coverage based on the condition, unless its in really rough shape.
    Last edited by wooddrow; 01-24-2023 at 02:09 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Mars Bluff, SC
    Posts
    13,172

    Default

    Hagerty Insurance.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    spartanburg
    Posts
    4,199

    Default

    I had Condon and Skelley for a while.
    Low country redneck who moved north

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Carolina Backcountry
    Posts
    12,145

    Default

    I have hagerty on my 67 bronco. I need to swap my 96 to hagerty
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Horry, SC
    Posts
    4,906

    Default

    Hagerty

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    6,431

    Default

    Unless they changed, Hagerty requires the vehicle to be parked inside a enclosed garage/ building and allows limited annual miles driven. If this fits your needs and you want Collision and Comprehensive it is your best option IMO.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    4,688

    Default

    Haggerty X whatever....

    I have Haggerty policies on two classics...best thing going that I have found.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    11,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forresj View Post
    Hoping to tap into the brain trust on insurance. I've got a 1996 bronco that I've had since highschool that just sits in my garage because its not insured. I used to have it insured by American Collector's Insurance for about $500/year with full coverage, but now they won't insure an SUV thats not "showroom condition" and taken to car shows.

    Anybody got a lead on cheap insurance that provides good protection for a car of this age? I just want to drive it once or twice a month to keep up its health and probably wouldnt see even 1000 miles a year. State farm wants to charge me what they charge for my 2018 gmc daily driver
    what kind of condition is it in? did they quote it as an antique?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    141

    Default

    They wouldn't quote it as an antique although I've always heard when a car hits 25 it gets the antique classification if you want it to. Its in good shape, runs and drives great and has typical wear for its age.

    IMG-3338.jpg

    It does have its own locked garage etc that all the collectors insurance places want to see

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    982

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Unless they changed, Hagerty requires the vehicle to be parked inside a enclosed garage/ building and allows limited annual miles driven. If this fits your needs and you want Collision and Comprehensive it is your best option IMO.
    Had Hagerty for many years on several vehicles, this has never been mentioned, asked or required.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    6,431

    Default

    Your insurance agent sucked. ( lied on the application)

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lexington
    Posts
    11,628

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by forresj View Post
    They wouldn't quote it as an antique although I've always heard when a car hits 25 it gets the antique classification if you want it to. Its in good shape, runs and drives great and has typical wear for its age.

    IMG-3338.jpg

    It does have its own locked garage etc that all the collectors insurance places want to see
    Typically, with State Farm, it either needs to be restored, or in the process of being restored. In your case it looks like itís in pretty good condition. Call me tomorrow if you want me to take a look at it. 803-608-0185.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    3,722

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Typically, with State Farm, it either needs to be restored, or in the process of being restored. In your case it looks like it’s in pretty good condition. Call me tomorrow if you want me to take a look at it. 803-608-0185.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Woodrow’s advice sounds easier.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

    --------------------------------------------------

    "Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

    "I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    141

    Default

    American collectors called me back last night and offered to insure for $300/year. If they back out again, I'll give you a call b35w

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Posts
    141

    Default

    Thanks everyone for the advice

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    6,431

    Default

    It's been a few years since I wrote a Hagerty Classic Car policy. I pulled up the qualification requirements (link posted below) and it looks like they opened up** the guideline on requiring parking/storage in an enclosed garage a little.

    "Storage
    Though we prefer** that collector vehicles are stored in an enclosed, secure structure when not in use—such as a private garage, pole barn or storage unit—we will consider** other storage types, including:*

    Carports
    Driveways
    Parking garages
    Car hauling trailers
    Storage and driver eligibility are subject to underwriter review and to all applicable state and underwriting restrictions."

    As I stated above, they're a solid company and seems to have a pretty good claims rating based on reviews. I've written several dozen policies with them over the years and they've always been easy to work with.

    Here's a quick snapshot of what their guidelines are in simple, easy to read language-

    https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...ehicle-qualify
    Last edited by scatter shot; 01-25-2023 at 09:52 AM.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Summerville, SC
    Posts
    6,431

    Default

    This link is specific their classic truck requirements- must be 1996 or older

    https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...ility-vehicles

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •