Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Car Insurance for 1996 Bronco

Default Cheap Car Insurance for 1996 Bronco

Hoping to tap into the brain trust on insurance. I've got a 1996 bronco that I've had since highschool that just sits in my garage because its not insured. I used to have it insured by American Collector's Insurance for about $500/year with full coverage, but now they won't insure an SUV thats not "showroom condition" and taken to car shows.

Anybody got a lead on cheap insurance that provides good protection for a car of this age? I just want to drive it once or twice a month to keep up its health and probably wouldnt see even 1000 miles a year. State farm wants to charge me what they charge for my 2018 gmc daily driver

Whatever you do, stay away from Safeco, Liberty Mutual and Progressive. Between my own poor experience, and similar stories from others nearby, they are the devil's spawn.

If you're a military Vet, look up USAA. Otherwise, here's a good article... https://www.caranddriver.com/car-ins...or-older-cars/
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Full coverage and the age will be costly. I have a 92 wrangler that I finally admitted about 7 or 8 years ago that it just needs liability.. Any hit it takes is going to total it solely based on the price and lack of parts available to fix it with. I have it insured liability only, with the knowledge that if it is totaled, I will buy it back anyway to rebuild it myself. I assume they would give me less than $2k for it by book value... And I know I could almost get that for it in parts if it was totaled.

I have it insured with Travelers, as a pleasure vehicle, $125/yr
    Last edited by Fireman; 01-24-2023 at 01:40 PM.

Have your State Farm agent submit a request for agreed value under their antique classic evaluation (being its over 25 years old). There is a form they can send you to fill out and submit pictures. They should be able to provide coverage based on the condition, unless its in really rough shape.
    Last edited by wooddrow; 01-24-2023 at 02:09 PM.

Hagerty Insurance.

I had Condon and Skelley for a while.
    Low country redneck who moved north

I have hagerty on my 67 bronco. I need to swap my 96 to hagerty
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Hagerty

Unless they changed, Hagerty requires the vehicle to be parked inside a enclosed garage/ building and allows limited annual miles driven. If this fits your needs and you want Collision and Comprehensive it is your best option IMO.

Haggerty X whatever....

I have Haggerty policies on two classics...best thing going that I have found.

Quote Originally Posted by forresj View Post
    Hoping to tap into the brain trust on insurance. I've got a 1996 bronco that I've had since highschool that just sits in my garage because its not insured. I used to have it insured by American Collector's Insurance for about $500/year with full coverage, but now they won't insure an SUV thats not "showroom condition" and taken to car shows.

Anybody got a lead on cheap insurance that provides good protection for a car of this age? I just want to drive it once or twice a month to keep up its health and probably wouldnt see even 1000 miles a year. State farm wants to charge me what they charge for my 2018 gmc daily driver
    what kind of condition is it in? did they quote it as an antique?

They wouldn't quote it as an antique although I've always heard when a car hits 25 it gets the antique classification if you want it to. Its in good shape, runs and drives great and has typical wear for its age.

IMG-3338.jpg

It does have its own locked garage etc that all the collectors insurance places want to see

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    Unless they changed, Hagerty requires the vehicle to be parked inside a enclosed garage/ building and allows limited annual miles driven. If this fits your needs and you want Collision and Comprehensive it is your best option IMO.
    Had Hagerty for many years on several vehicles, this has never been mentioned, asked or required.

Your insurance agent sucked. ( lied on the application)

Quote Originally Posted by forresj View Post
    They wouldn't quote it as an antique although I've always heard when a car hits 25 it gets the antique classification if you want it to. Its in good shape, runs and drives great and has typical wear for its age.

IMG-3338.jpg

It does have its own locked garage etc that all the collectors insurance places want to see
    Typically, with State Farm, it either needs to be restored, or in the process of being restored. In your case it looks like it’s in pretty good condition. Call me tomorrow if you want me to take a look at it. 803-608-0185.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by b35w View Post
    Typically, with State Farm, it either needs to be restored, or in the process of being restored. In your case it looks like it’s in pretty good condition. Call me tomorrow if you want me to take a look at it. 803-608-0185.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Woodrow’s advice sounds easier.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

American collectors called me back last night and offered to insure for $300/year. If they back out again, I'll give you a call b35w

Thanks everyone for the advice

It's been a few years since I wrote a Hagerty Classic Car policy. I pulled up the qualification requirements (link posted below) and it looks like they opened up** the guideline on requiring parking/storage in an enclosed garage a little.

"Storage
    Though we prefer** that collector vehicles are stored in an enclosed, secure structure when not in use—such as a private garage, pole barn or storage unit—we will consider** other storage types, including:*

Carports
    Driveways
    Parking garages
    Car hauling trailers
    Storage and driver eligibility are subject to underwriter review and to all applicable state and underwriting restrictions."

As I stated above, they're a solid company and seems to have a pretty good claims rating based on reviews. I've written several dozen policies with them over the years and they've always been easy to work with.

Here's a quick snapshot of what their guidelines are in simple, easy to read language-

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...ehicle-qualify
    Last edited by scatter shot; 01-25-2023 at 09:52 AM.

This link is specific their classic truck requirements- must be 1996 or older

https://www.hagerty.com/insurance/cl...ility-vehicles